Different resolutions on premium East/West HD channels. Why?

All that I understand, but maybe I have a misconception. If the signal is sent 16X9 wouldn't it or shouldn't it always be 16X9 even if the resolution is less - or more? Or is the signal not always in 16X9? (Only talking about HD broadcasts)

And for the OP - what about other channels that are on both ARC's - do they show the same difference from ARC to ARC?

Last edited:
I apologize for not being more detailed in my answer. Had you just asked me to clarify what I meant, you would have saved yourself a lot of keystrokes. Also, I shant be offended by your pedantic, catechism of a semi-rant. It is clear there is a misunderstanding. I had presumed you would know what meant by "depends upon satellite, transponder, etc." as most on this board are "techies." However, considering the frustrated tone of your response, I'll attempt to clarify what seems not to be getting through. I'll try to simplify it for you so that you can understand, so please forgive any non-technical, detailed terms. I don't want to confuse you even more:

On the EA, a channel (or even just the East and West feeds of the same channel) may be on a transponder with only 4 other HD channels while on the WA on a different satellite, that very same service may be up-linked to a transponder with 6 other HD channels. Obviously the fewer channels, the more bandwidth for each service channel and more room for higher resolution. So, the very same channel service would suffer somewhat in PQ on the transponder with more channels. It all depends on how much bandwidth is available on the particular transponder and even the sat itself. Most likely the sat at the limits of its bandwidth may have to make do with lower resolution to fit more channels on that sat, and the same for a transponder. That is one way how an East feed of one channel may have different resolution from the West feed. It is all up to Dish as to how they choose to manage the bandwidth of their birds and arc services.

Now, to be sure, that above explanation isn't very technical, but I didn't want you to feel lost, confused, and completely miss the boat on what I meant in my previous and concise reply that confused you so. I hope the above over-simplification helps.

Anyone else if encouraged to explain it better than I have because I know others are better at that than I.

A. I think you're wrong.

B. Why are you being a troll? You spent more of your post talking down to me and being a smart ass than you did explaining your answer. Not sure if I rubbed you the wrong way somehow or if this is just your general demeanor, but I'd appreciate it if you not post in this thread anymore. Thanks.

And for the OP - what about other channels that are on both ARC's - do they show the same difference from ARC to ARC?

I checked Starz 350/351 (which are the only other HD channels I get that are on both) and it wasn't doing it on Starz at that time. I can't say it never happens on Starz, but it wasn't doing it when I checked.

I was wondering on a channel like USA etc..... It would just be so much easier to say it is a difference between the EA and WA ( and then figure out why) if every channel displayed that difference.

The resolution is the same, it's just that the HBOW feed (on EA) happens to have two blank lines at the top where as the HBOE feed (also on EA, maybe even on the same sat) has program data on the two top lines of the picture.

My guess is that it is generated by HBO themselves so they can tell which feed they are looking at quickly and easily for troubleshooting purposes.

All this effort and angst over two lines of video.

The resolution is the same, it's just that the HBOW feed (on EA) happens to have two blank lines at the top where as the HBOE feed (also on EA, maybe even on the same sat) has program data on the two top lines of the picture.

My guess is that it is generated by HBO themselves so they can tell which feed they are looking at quickly and easily for troubleshooting purposes.

All this effort and angst over two lines of video.

First off, there's no effort or angst. I said at the outset that I wasn't complaining about this, just wondering why it was happening and wondering which was the 'better' or 'more accurate' feed. And you say the resolutions are the same, but resolution, by definition, refers to how many lines there are. If someone is removing lines of video then the resolutions are not the same.

Second, your guess that HBO is doing this so they can tell the East from the West channels sounds silly. I'm sure the technicians at HBO are smart enough to tell one from the other without removing part of the picture. And if it was an HBO thing, why is Showtime (HBO's archenemy) doing the same thing?

If the first two lines are black instead of whatever the programming asks for, are the not still there.

My suggestion is no more silly than your anst.

I find it interesting, would actually like to know why, it may lead to understanding other things too, who knows....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)