Different volume levels for SD vs. HD

Disable it and as any audiophile will tell you is that you waisted your money buying a Dolby 5.1 or better surrond system. The idea is to hear the quiet chirping of the birds in the forrest followed by the large explosions created by cannons. Doing what you want to do and the birds will be as loud as the cannons , or the cannons will be as quiet as the birds. e.g. stupid.

Ron

I was going to ask the question what would it do to my 5.1 surround sound system? Thank You for clearing that up Ron.

Right now my settings in the menu for Dolby Digital (menu - 6 - 6) are:

Dolby Digital / PCM ---------- RF Mode

Is this the correct setting?

I was going to ask the question what would it do to my 5.1 surround sound system? Thank You for clearing that up Ron.

Right now my settings in the menu for Dolby Digital (menu - 6 - 6) are:

Dolby Digital / PCM ---------- RF Mode

Is this the correct setting?

On my 722 it is menu 6, 7

That is the same setting I have . I set it to RF mode based on something I read here.

Disable it and as any audiophile will tell you is that you waisted your money buying a Dolby 5.1 or better surrond system. The idea is to hear the quiet chirping of the birds in the forrest followed by the large explosions created by cannons. Doing what you want to do and the birds will be as loud as the cannons , or the cannons will be as quiet as the birds. e.g. stupid.

Ron
Either I'm misunderstanding "enable/disable", or what you say sounds backgrounds. I thought folks were talking about being able to disable the volume leveling. Isn't that what audiophile's would want (not having the receiver change the sound)?

Ron
Ron, if you disable it, that means you are not using sound leveling. Just who is stupid?

Ron, if you disable it, that means you are not using sound leveling. Just who is stupid?

According to the manual line mode will give you the most dynamic range available. rf mode will decrease the dynamic range so you won't be complaining about having to continally adjust the volume.

"Stupid" meant wanting to decrease the dynamic range and not hear what director of the movie wanted you to hear. Kind of like watching a movie in the pan & scan mode rather than letterboxed if you don't have a wide screen tv.

According to the manual line mode will give you the most dynamic range available. rf mode will decrease the dynamic range so you won't be complaining about having to continally adjust the volume.

"Stupid" meant wanting to decrease the dynamic range and not hear what director of the movie wanted you to hear. Kind of like watching a movie in the pan & scan mode rather than letterboxed if you don't have a wide screen tv.

I use the line mode to Ron. As you say, it gives you much more range. I overeacted to the stupid and I apologize. Hope you have a great 2010!:)

Based on what I have read about the SRS technology, it is specifically for Dolby Digital. It will guarantee the same output level from each channel without suppressing the quality of the sound. If your Dolby equipment receives the same level from each channel, it will read them all the same way. Then when you switch channels, the volume will be the same whether your receiver is connected directly to the tv or to an a/v receiver.

Based on what I have read about the SRS technology, it is specifically for Dolby Digital. It will guarantee the same output level from each channel without suppressing the quality of the sound. If your Dolby equipment receives the same level from each channel, it will read them all the same way. Then when you switch channels, the volume will be the same whether your receiver is connected directly to the tv or to an a/v receiver.

Is SRS the upgrade that DISH is going to make?

But that's just it. You don't want all the channels to have the same levels unless they're supposed to. If you read your stereo manual you don't add anything other than the decoding to the audio. You can't even use the bass and treble controls for that would change everything. You also have to play it loud for dolby 5.1 to work properly. That is why if you turn the volume low so you don't disturb anyone else you're supposed to use the function called "midnight". This control changes the equalization and delay to make up for the lower sound level.

The complaint everyone has been complaing about has existed for me since I first started watching dvd's with Dolby 5.1 some 10 years ago. It personally doesn't bother me and I just readjust the volume control.

The SRS circuity might not effect the frequency response, signal to noise ratlo or distortion but it mose assurerdly will change the dynamic range.

Ron

SRS not added yet

The sound leveling using SRS is not enabled yet. The S/W update for that has not come down yet. So the setting it in menu 6-7 isn't doing anything for sound leveling. I look forward to having it for the broadcast & OTA networks I get. I will disable it when I watch Movies. I don't want a comp/limiter running while I watching a movie. I do want it for keeping the sound volume down tween the commercials and shows closer to the same levels. I also will like it when I switch to an SD program which is rare since I'm an absolute customer.

Yes ,the 722k subs were supposed to get the new software this month -December. Looks like they will miss that date too now. Maybe January?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts