Digital Audio for Recordings on TV2

Taleriana

Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Big Island, Hawaii
Ok, I swear I'm not crazy. We have a 722 in the living room. Today, I replaced the 622 in my bedroom with a 722. But I'm not getting digital sound output from any DVR recordings recorded on TV2, but I do for anything recorded on TV1 (so if i want sound for 99% of my recordings, i have to turn my surround system off and turn the crappy TV speakers up). I KNOW this works on the 722 in the living room and did on my old 622 before the digital audio stopped altogether.

Live TV and things recorded on TV1, digital audio works fine. Before I moved here, we had 2 722's hooked up the same way (dual mode, TV2 to an analog TV with most recordings being done on TV2 but watched on TV1) and I NEVER had to turn the TV speakers up on either of the main HD/surround setups.

I've compared settings, I've searched and searched on here. Help? Could it be a bad duplexer (I don't know much but the names of stuff). Seems weird I'm still having digital audio problems with a new DVR. The third one in 3 weeks... They replaced my original 622 because it kept turning itself off, gave me another 622 and the digital audio would cut in and out consistently. So for my third try, I told them I wanted a 722 instead.

I'm about to pull my hair out!! :confused: Mahalo in advance to whoever can help me!!

- Tina

Try changing the audio to PCM only and see if that helps. Are you recording the hd versions of shows and movies and do those events without audio display DD in the info box?

Well, the 2 that recorded last night... The one recorded on TV1 was not an HD show and says Stereo in the info box. It works through my surround. The one recorded on TV2 was an HD show and says the same Stereo in the info box. I get no sound at all through my surround for this recording.

Anything on Live TV, whether HD or not, works through my surround system for sound. It appears to ONLY be shows recorded on TV2. Well, that isn't the case this morning it seems... 6059 (the SiriusXM station I listen too) is coming through my surround but 192 (or any other channel I tried) isn't but they WERE last night! Specifically, I put it on 192 when the tech was here at 3 to test it and the sound was coming through my surround. I watched 192 until 5:30 when our satellite went out from a rain storm. We went to dinner and when I came home 2 shows were recording as stated above. When they were done, I put 6059 on, turned the TV off and just had music playing all night. Now this morning, it looks like the only channel that comes through my surround is 6059 and the others aren't anymore.

Since I was having issues with digital audio on the DVR before this (and I've tried a different TOSLINK cable), I'm wondering if its something else which is why I ask about the diplexer thing.

Have you tried a hard reset on both the 722 and your audio receiver. Hard reset is pulling the AC power cord.

I haven't this morning but I will when I get outta bed (it's only 7:30 here). But I know both have been unplugged in the recent past. Well, the old DVR, the new one was just installed yesterday!

So I changed the audio setting to PCM only, no digital audio, switched to channel 6059, had digital audio, switched back to 192 and had digital audio. Then I pulled up the American Idol recording from last night that had no sound through digital before and now it's coming through the surround.

I will do a hard reset of both DVR and stereo when I get up and try changing back to DD/PCM. I won't get true surround for DD shows on PCM, correct? About time to turn on HBO again for Game of Thrones!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)