digital only tv tuners

dishcomm

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
suburbia
With the impending DTV transition, tv manufacturers are now making tv's with digital only tuners.
What I need to know is this, the tv2 output on Dish dual tuners is analog, I believe. So when we encounter a new tv with a digital only tuner will the tv accept the tv2 output from the receiver.....

I'd be willing to bet that a TV with digital only tuners would have plenty of composite inputs to use.

The OP has a good question. But I think I know answer. At BestBuy.com, there are only four SD/Digital tuner sets listed. All small, off-brand sets, which also have NTSC tuners. It looks to me that the only "Digital-only" tuner sets are HDTV's. So, if that is the case as it appears to be, most people would not want to hook up to TV 2 even if they could. Rather, they'd want an HD receiver.

ooops... my bad, I just realized you were talking about TV2.
yep....we can surely charge a bunch of $$ to add three runs of coax to tv2 and add those adapters...Customer complaints would be interesting.
Yep. Lets limit this to coax connections. Thanks

The OP has a good question. But I think I know answer. At BestBuy.com, there are only four SD/Digital tuner sets listed. All small, off-brand sets, which also have NTSC tuners. It looks to me that the only "Digital-only" tuner sets are HDTV's. So, if that is the case as it appears to be, most people would not want to hook up to TV 2 even if they could. Rather, they'd want an HD receiver.
Perhaps. But the invitablilty of customer updating all tv's is real. I am seeing flat screens used for tv2 now as it is. Fortunately those have both digital and anaolg tuners...Tv's being built now for marketing after 2/17 will most likely lack the soon to be useless analog tuner.

Are manufacturers really making TVs now without NTSC tuners? There are lots of people with "basic" analog cable out there who want an HDTV just because it's flat. For that reason alone, I'd think they keep putting (very cheap) NTSC tuners in TV's for a looooong time.

Brad

How will people with analog cable get channels without an NTSC tuner? The scope of the problem goes beyond TV2.

Edit: Ooops, just saw your post (#7), Brad.

Are manufacturers really making TVs now without NTSC tuners? There are lots of people with "basic" analog cable out there who want an HDTV just because it's flat. For that reason alone, I'd think they keep putting (very cheap) NTSC tuners in TV's for a looooong time.

Brad
Yes. I ran into one a couple of weeks ago. Thats what prompted this inquiry.
Regarding analog cable. I am bit confused, why would there be analog cable after the DTV transition?..
Without buying a DTV converter those on analog cable will be unable to see their local stations broadcast......Anyway. The fact is that TV's will no doubt be manufactured without analog tuners because there won't be any analog signals available.

Regarding analog cable. I am bit confused, why would there be analog cable after the DTV transition?..
Without buying a DTV converter those on analog cable will be unable to see their local stations broadcast......

I think until 2012 or sometime, cable companies are allowed to provide analog versions of digital channels. Plus, the cable companies aren't required to switch their non-local analog signals to digital, although many of them are doing it anyway. Lastly, the cable companies aren't just passing 8VSB signals through anyway like they do with NTSC, they're converting them to QAM, so an 8VSB tuner won't do cable customers any good.

Oh, and low-power stations aren't required to switch to digital next year.

I'm surprised such an animal exists. All the ones I've seen have both ATSC and NTSC tuners, even if they only mention "digital" or "ATSC" on the box.

Analog tuners will be with us for a long time. There are many low power NTSC (analog) TV stations that will likely have until 2013 or maybe longer, to convert to ATSC. There are many devices, such as sat boxes, cable boxes and VCRs (yes, folks still use them- my in-laws), not to mention CCTV and other in house distribution systems.

I believe I read where at least until recently, most cable boxes were pure analog. As in, could not even receive the "digital" tier that most cable systems offer. Even now, most cable boxes are very very simple devices. Probably hooked up via coax, as that is the simplest way with the fewest "ugly" cables. Besides, even that "digital" tier is converted to an analog signal for all those old analog TVs to display. Anyone want to bet with me that a large majority of TVs in use today are still analog only CRTs?

I think 2009 is going to be a very educational year for a lot of people. Even if they're pure cable subs, they're going to be presented with options they've never considered before.

Yes. I ran into one a couple of weeks ago. Thats what prompted this inquiry.
Without buying a DTV converter those on analog cable will be unable to see their local stations broadcast......Anyway. The fact is that TV's will no doubt be manufactured without analog tuners because there won't be any analog signals available.

You are apparently one of many folks that are confused about this issue. For "basic" or analog cable, the cable companies take whatever they get over the air or by satellite, and convert it to analog cable channels 2 thru 70, plus or minus. Even if the source for local channels is digital, they are sent to the basic customers as analog. I believe they are going to be allowed to do this until 2012, although some cablecos are going "all-digital" before then.

As for the "digital tuner-only" TV's, the mfrs are only shooting themselves in the foot if they are doing this, as there will be a market for TV's with NTSC "basic cable-ready" tuners for some time to come.

Sorry about the duplicate (almost) post - I'm just too slow, I guess!

Brad

Last edited:
I think until 2012 or sometime, cable companies are allowed to provide analog versions of digital channels. Plus, the cable companies aren't required to switch their non-local analog signals to digital, although many of them are doing it anyway. Lastly, the cable companies aren't just passing 8VSB signals through anyway like they do with NTSC, they're converting them to QAM, so an 8VSB tuner won't do cable customers any good.

Oh, and low-power stations aren't required to switch to digital next year.

Thanks!!!!!

You are apparently one of many folks that are confused about this issue. For "basic" or analog cable, the cable companies take whatever they get over the air or by satellite, and convert it to analog cable channels 2 thru 70, plus or minus. Even if the source for local channels is digital, they are sent to the basic customers as analog. I believe they are going to be allowed to do this until 2012, although some cablecos are going "all-digital" before then.

As for the "digital tuner-only" TV's, the mfrs are only shooting themselves in the foot if they are doing this, as there will be a market for TV's with NTSC "basic cable-ready" tuners for some time to come.

Sorry about the duplicate (almost) post - I'm just too slow, I guess!

Brad
I am seeing lots of announcements mainly from the local affiliates themsleves re: the DTV trans. I guess these are aimed solely at those who receive their tv OTA....

I am seeing lots of announcements mainly from the local affiliates themsleves re: the DTV trans. I guess these are aimed solely at those who receive their tv OTA....

correct....the ads I see here and even on local news broadcasts mention over the air only and say "cable and satellite folks have to do nothing"

I am currently watching TV2's digital 480i content over coax on a brand new HDTV right now while a HD box is "en route." Have you guys looked at the picture quality of TV2's coax 480i output on a HDTV? Once you are used to 720p/1080i, it's tolerable at best.

Certainly not as bad as analog cable over coax on a HDTV.

Because the digital transition has nothing whatsoever to do with pay TV services. It is only related to OTA broadcasts. The government wanted to auction off a large portion of the spectrum used by terrestrial broadcasters, so the broadcasters were forced to make do with less. That's the reason behind it. Cable and satellite are private networks that can do whatever they want. Cable companies can provide analog tiers until the heat death of the universe if they wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)