Digital Optical Audio Output Problem

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Aside from the ongoing DVI/HDMI Conflict Error message I keep getting, I am now having problems with the Digital Auido Output. SOmetimes it does not work at all--sometimes, when I turn my A/V receiver (Sony) off and on, it will kick back in--it's not even doing that anymore.

I tried a hard reset and then plugged/unplugged Digital audio cable and it worked for awhile.

Also, audio output in general is unstable--have to flip channels back and forth to get audio back.

Have an appt for technician to come out--with a new receiver--but will that remedy all this? I know it won't remedy the DVI Conflict Error message, but the sound?

bookwalk said:
Also, audio output in general is unstable--have to flip channels back and forth to get audio back.
I use the optical output as well, and also have experienced the need to toggle the channel back and forth -- I think I've seen it mentioned several times before. But I haven't had the whole sound disappear like you describe, nor have I seen that mentioned. Perhaps it really is your receiver. Good luck. Hopefully getting it replaced will solve it.

I'm glad I read this thread. The cat was wondering around behind all my components and I was sure he pulled the plug on my digital audio cause its not working either.

How's the ventilation in the area where your STB is located?

Sometimes, overheating can caused weird problems like that.

I will check that aspect--it is the same as it ever was--but will definitely check that out. The weather has warmed up, but the area is cool and it is not near any other piece of electronics.

Same problem here. At about 1:30 am, my sound just totally died. I rebooted the Voom receiver, didn't help. I rebooted the A/V receiver. Didn't help. I unplugged the Voom receiver for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Didn't help. Then, I checked to see if I could see the red light that you can see on an optical out when audio is being output. The red light wasn't there. I went to bed, but forgot to mute the A/V receiver since I didn't have any audio. Then, at 9:00 this morning, I awoke to sound from Voom. Then, after work today, I tried to watch HD News, and the sound was there, then it went away, then it back back, then it went away.. off and on, off and on. At the moment, the sound seems constent. I talked to the Voom installation guy who brought my Voom box, and he said that he has also seen this problem at a couple of customers houses, and he thinks it is a problem that was introducted in the 7.37 software.

seandudley said:
Same problem here. At about 1:30 am, my sound just totally died. I rebooted the Voom receiver, didn't help. I rebooted the A/V receiver. Didn't help. I unplugged the Voom receiver for 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Didn't help. Then, I checked to see if I could see the red light that you can see on an optical out when audio is being output. The red light wasn't there. I went to bed, but forgot to mute the A/V receiver since I didn't have any audio. Then, at 9:00 this morning, I awoke to sound from Voom. Then, after work today, I tried to watch HD News, and the sound was there, then it went away, then it back back, then it went away.. off and on, off and on. At the moment, the sound seems constent. I talked to the Voom installation guy who brought my Voom box, and he said that he has also seen this problem at a couple of customers houses, and he thinks it is a problem that was introducted in the 7.37 software.
Just curious ... is your receiver a Sony like bookwalk's?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts