STB Audio output level

kikojax

Original poster
Feb 19, 2005
Does anyone know of a way to adjust the audio output level (composite or coax outputs)? I just had voom installed today and I've found that the audio output level is MUCH higher than any other receiver I have (Dish 811, 522, DVD, VCR, etc) and I haven't been able to find any type of adjustment in the menu. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi! This part of the STB FAQ shows how to adjust the audio output. Since you've just been installed today (and might be running an older version of the software until you get an update), getting into that part of the menu may be slightly different since there have been some slight menu changes made since earlier versions.

Thanks for the response Deeann. I did try that already and it did help a little but the volume is still very high compared to other sources. I thought there might be some other way deeper in the menu. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are all the channels the same volume or are some high and some low. The variations in volume between channels is another advanced feature of the VOOM receiver.

And this is of what help to kikojax?

jnardone said:
Are all the channels the same volume or are some high and some low. The variations in volume between channels is another advanced feature of the VOOM receiver.

Still enjoying HDTV even under very foggy Seattle skies, Gill

SeattleVoomer1 said:
Still enjoying HDTV even under very foggy Seattle skies, Gill

It's simple - If he is checking the VOOM volume on one of the loud VOOM channels then he is probably correct - that the VOOM volume is louder than other providers. If he is checking the VOOM volume on the Comedy Channel and it is still louder than other sources then there is definitely something wrong with his set up. The point is that with the variations in VOOM channel volumes it is virutally impossible to set up your system correctly or compare it to other providers. And furthermore, don't look for any help from VOOM because they have know about the problem for more than a year and they have not corrected it.

Wilt, Cablevision/VOOM's VP of engineering, addressed the difference in volume on different channels on the VOOM/Yahoo forum about a year ago. He contended that VOOM simply fed through their uplink station the signal they received which caused the difference in volume. Don't know if he was right but that's what he said.

Still enjoying HDTV with channels of differing volumes under clear Seattle skies, Gill

jnardone said:

It's louder than my other sources no matter what channel I'm on. I've had cable boxes in the past that had a volume level control wihin its menu that allowed you to adjust the audio output level and I was just wondering if the Voom STB had this feature but it looks like it doesn't. It's not that big of a deal. I've figured out a set up so that it's no longer a problem in the room where it was an issue. Thanks for the help anyway...

kikojax said:
It's louder than my other sources no matter what channel I'm on. I've had cable boxes in the past that had a volume level control wihin its menu that allowed you to adjust the audio output level and I was just wondering if the Voom STB had this feature but it looks like it doesn't. It's not that big of a deal. I've figured out a set up so that it's no longer a problem in the room where it was an issue. Thanks for the help anyway...

How about the volume down button on the remote control for your surround? :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts