Digital OTA antenna for additional channels

Reactions: oljim and Kizzer
I've got 2 of those on the roof looking at UHF stations 60 miles away, surprisingly good reception. The only thing I found wrong was metric nuts and bolts, I think 10mm.

Reactions: Kizzer
Here's my situation. I am trying to get MeTV from my local affiliate on channel 7.2. I am hoping a digital antenna will bring it in and I can record it OTA to my Hopper 3.
You need to determine how far the channel 7 tranmitter is from your home and what channel the transmitter is on. Do you need a VHF antenna or a UHF antenna? It's the transmitter channel, not the virtual channel you see on your tuner, that will determine that. The distance will determine how much of an antenna you need. As posted above, go to tvfool.com, put in your address and take a look at the results.

Reactions: Kizzer
So many people are confused by the virtual channel not being the transmit channel. I think stations should occasionally announce what channel they transmit on, but that would probably confuse too many viewers.

Many people simply do not BELIEVE that the channel they tune to is not the channel it is transmitted on.

In past posts I think you indicated that money is no object. If that is the case then I'd find a local antenna installer. They would come to your house, do a site evaluation, select the best antenna, select the best placement for the antenna and install it. That would give you the best OTA experience.

If you're going to do all the work why not go for all you can get. Install the largest VHF/UHF antenna you can along with a mast mounted pre-amp. My OTA antenna pulls in 73 channels from as far as 70 miles distant.

antenna-2.jpg~original

Reactions: TheKrell
There is a common misunderstanding that all the digital channels are being broadcast on UHF. That's incorrect. There are numerous stations around the country still on VHF (by latest estimates about 26%) and a combination antenna might be the prudent way to go, depending on location.

There is a common misunderstanding that all the digital channels are being broadcast on UHF. That's incorrect. There are numerous stations around the country still on VHF (by latest estimates about 26%) and a combination antenna might be the prudent way to go, depending on location.
True that. I have my ABC and NBC , Cozi tv , Metv stations all VHF in the Beaumont,Texas area. They were on UHF 50.1 ,but moved down to the digital 12.1- 12.4 VHF a year or so ago.

As I have posted before, his Omaha channels are entirely being transmitted digitally on UHF even though three of them show virtual single digit channels. I checked this on each channel to see if any were, in fact, VHF digital channels. None were. Now, all we need is how far from the transmitters is he....

As I have posted before, his Omaha channels are entirely being transmitted digitally on UHF even though three of them show virtual single digit channels. I checked this on each channel to see if any were, in fact, VHF digital channels. None were. Now, all we need is how far from the transmitters is he....
That's true in the OP's case but others are reading, or will read in the future, this thread and they need to know the whole story, not just part of it.

Much more turmoil is ahead for OTA viewers. Just wait until the "repack".
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/auction-opening-bid-prices-announced.354223/
http://deadline.com/2016/03/fcc-begins-broadcast-tv-spectrum-auction-1201727834/
What will the TV dial look like after repacking?
A: There’ll be fewer TV channels. Broadcasters currently use channels 2-to-51 after giving up 52-to-69 in 2009. Now the FCC wants to clear 27-to-51 and, where possible, move UHF stations to the VHF band. So some will have to be repacked even if they don’t participate in the auction. In markets with lots of stations it might result in some holding spectrum in the wireless band.

Reactions: Peter Parker
That's true in the OP's case but others are reading, or will read in the future, this thread and they need to know the whole story, not just part of it.
But the "whole story" was in post #2 (not to pat myself on the back). Utilize antennaweb.org or tvfool.com to see what stations are available in your area and suggestions on types of antennas. It's also come out in this thread that you can't use the number the channel identifies with (in this case 7) to determine what kind of antenna you need. So what more of the story do want to put out there?

Reactions: jwillsharpe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)