Digital OTA antenna for additional channels

Kizzer

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2016
Nebraska
I am looking for an outdoor digital OTA antenna to get a couple of additional channels (ie MeTV) and our local channels during storms. The indoor antenna isn't working well. What about this?

Amazon product ASIN B00WW7H9ZI
I already have DISH's OTA antenna tuner adapter. Can I just attach this antenna to it?

Any other thoughts or experience with OTA antennas?

Thanks.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
You need to look at antennaweb.org or tvfool.com, put in your address and it will help you select an antenna. You location in regards to the transmitters, terrain between the two, height between the two, and other facts will determine what kind of antenna you need.

Reactions: SamCdbs and Kizzer
While I don't have an outdoor antenna, I do have some indoor antennas on 3 TV's. Biggest issue is that all the tv towers aren't in the same direction from my home. My antennas are all panels which seem to be direction oriented which affects the signal strength on some channels, thus causing some drop outs when we get into heavy weather. It seems like digital OTA signals can be affected by heavy rain also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kizzer
Going off the thread title, keep in mind there is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. Any antenna will work, even old rabbitears from long before the digital conversion. Don't be fooled by antennas claiming to be "digital" antennas with a possible upcharge in price.

Here's my situation. I am trying to get MeTV from my local affiliate on channel 7.2. I am hoping a digital antenna will bring it in and I can record it OTA to my Hopper 3.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Here's my situation. I am trying to get MeTV from my local affiliate on channel 7.2. I am hoping a digital antenna will bring it in and I can record it OTA to my Hopper 3.
That's not really your situation though. Channel 7.2 is a "virtual" channel (more than likely). That's not necessarily the channel they're broadcasting on. You need to know how far from the transmitter you are, what direction, and how strong the signal is. The websites I listed earlier will help you with that information. Once you have that information, you can shop for antennas.

Basically the post you just made is like asking "I'm trying to get from home to work. I am hoping a vehicle will get me there."

Of course another issue is whether his Hopper 3 will successfully record OTA. I understand that is an issue.
BTW doing a scan once the antenna is hooked up will result in seeing the channel numbers he is used to.

Reactions: DWS44 and Kizzer
Was it in your order from DISH network? I know they are "sold out" but I'm hoping my local installer might have one too. My H3 and two 4Ks are coming for installation next week.

I did not ask for one in advance. They had one in the truck. I think I got lucky, though. I got the impression they don't always have one with them.

KETV is on digital channel 20, virtual 7. So, he only needs a UHF antenna to receive it. KMTV, channel 3 is also on a UHF digital channel.

Correct! MeTV is a KETV sub channel at 7.2. Will I also receive it with a UHF antenna?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)