Digital Preferred Channels on Comcast Digital Adapter?

CartoonMaster30

Original poster
Jan 8, 2017
Galloway, NJ
Hey everyone, I just came here to ask a question. Today, on one of my Comcast HD-DTAs, I just noticed several channels from the Digital Preferred package (which I'm currently subscribed to) listed on the programming guide, and since I have those channels on my digital cable box, I was wondering if they're finally coming to digital adapters. Unfortunately, I tried seeing one of the Digital Preferred channels, Disney XD, on channel 135, and it's giving me a message that says "(135-DISXD) channel is not authorized" with a status code number being 580. I'm currently subscribed to that channel, so I should be able to see it on my HD-DTA. What's going on here?

The Digital TV Adapter can only handle "clear QAM" channels. In Comcast terms this means most channels in the Digital Starter package and below.

If you want access to channels in higher packages (such as the Disney channels), you have to step up to a Digital TV Box.

This is NOT going to change now nor in the future.

The Digital TV Adapter can only handle "clear QAM" channels. In Comcast terms this means most channels in the Digital Starter package and below.

If you want access to channels in higher packages (such as the Disney channels), you have to step up to a Digital TV Box.

This is NOT going to change now nor in the future.

If it's clear qam, then you should be able to plug the cable in the back of the Tv and get all the channels.

If it's clear qam, then you should be able to plug the cable in the back of the Tv and get all the channels.
Assuming that the TV has a tuner that is QAM capable, yes. TVs older than 12 years or so, new LG TVs and many projectors don't have such tuners.

I'm surprised they offered a DTA to someone with Digital Preferred but sometimes customers can be insistent about wanting the wrong thing.

If the tv has an OTA tuner, then it has a qam tuner also.
That is only true of certain classes of televisions. When DTV tuners were introduced, they were rolled out in the largest TVs first and eventually scaled out to the small TVs over a period of several years. Projectors weren't required to have tuners. The rules never said anything about having to be QAM capable. "Cable-Ready" meant only that the tuner had to be able to handle the cable TV analog channel numbering layout.

Practically speaking, all modern TVs with tuners are clear-QAM capable (since CableCARD is no long offered in TVs) but as the TS notes, that typically won't get you all of your programming.

Is saving the four dollars per TV worth not getting the channels that you pay an additional $30+ per month to get?

Btw, I emailed my comcast rep and DTA does get all the channels in the package.
If only that were true.

Comcast's own FAQ states that not all of the Digital Starter channels may be available with a DTA, much less those added with the Digital Preferred package. Clearly, the DTA isn't getting some of the TS's channels so chalk up another one for Comcast's inability to grasp the facts about what they offer. I suspect this is the nature of any conglomeration of contractors such as Comcast.

If only that were true.

Comcast's own FAQ states that not all of the Digital Starter channels may be available with a DTA, much less those added with the Digital Preferred package. Clearly, the DTA isn't getting some of the TS's channels so chalk up another one for Comcast's inability to grasp the facts about what they offer. I suspect this is the nature of any conglomeration of contractors such as Comcast.

The first year I had the HD DTA Box it received all the channels I subscribed to, including the premiums, the second year certain channels disappeared, called them up and they said the DTA box was unable to receive those channels, I said that it used to, the rep said it was no longer able to ( I assume a software change) and if I wanted them back I could upgrade my box, since I was able to get most of those channels that disappeared on my Roku (TV Everywhere apps) I declined since the box gets very little use.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I believe the DTA only receives channels either in Clear QAM or encrypted in a 56 bit Motorola Privacy Mode. I think that the cable companies should be required to provide any channel that is originally broadcast free OTA in a Clear QAM format, but the FCC thinks it's fine to let consumers get dinged for a monthly fee for a small, barely functional cable box.

I sure hope Comcast can get their official Roku app working, and stop charging per outlet for it (as planned).

I sure hope Comcast can get their official Roku app working, and stop charging per outlet for it (as planned).

They have already announced that after it is no longer in beta they are going to charge a box fee for each Roku, that is one of the reasons why I no longer get TV Service from them.

Love Vue with no box, locals or RSN fees.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

If I were a betting man, I would say that Comcast has shut down clear QAM across the entire footprint:
Thousands of TiVotees are likely to have a fecal hemorrhage if this comes to pass. Sure, many have CableCARD capable boxes but I would imagine that even those aren't safe forever in a climate where Comcast does what it wants and doesn't do what it doesn't want to do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)