Digital TV Channel Elections (round 2 is over - Round 3 ends may 26!)

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Is there a good single list of analog stations and their interim and final digital frequencies?

You can also see this link, but frankly, the one above is better.

Final assignments have not yet been made. The second round is not done yet. I believe for all practical purposes, there are 3 rounds. But the first round selections noted above will hold for the large majority of stations.

navychop said:
You can also see this link, but frankly, the one above is better.

Final assignments have not yet been made. The second round is not done yet. I believe for all practical purposes, there are 3 rounds. But the first round selections noted above will hold for the large majority of stations.

Actually thats not quite Accurate :)

This was posted by sebenste in the chicago ota thread at avs...

Link: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7614470&&#post7614470

It's official. The 81 TV stations in the second round digital TV channel applications had 75 approved, 6 disapproved. The latter go on to round 3. And, get this: May 26 is the end of round 3! Amazing. People were pressuring the FCC to get this over quickly. This is quick!

The official announcement is here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publ...DA-06-991A1.pdf

And the official station list is here:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publ...DA-06-991A2.pdf

Bottom line locally: WGBO gets approved for channel 38; WXFT gets channel 50 after analog shutdown. Done deal! So, the TV dial on February 17, 2009 will look like this in Chicago:

WBBM-DT: 3*
WMAQ-DT:29
WLS-DT: 7
WGN-DT: 19
WTTW-DT:47
WYCC-DT: 20
WCIU-DT: 27
WFLD-DT: 31
WWTO-DT: 10
WCPX-DT: 43
WSNS-DT: 45
WPWR-DT: 51
WYIN-DT: 17
WXFT-DT: 50
WJYS-DT: 36
WGBO-DT: 38

And there you have it! Goodnight, kids...

Wait!!!!

What???

What's that asterisk mean after WBBM-DT?

Did you notice...or more importantly...did you notice who was NOT in the second
round election approvals in the link I provided above?

And quoting from the document above:

"THE THIRD ROUND OF ELECTIONS. ...In addition, licensees that have received a tentative channel designation for a low VHF channel (ie, channels 2 through 6)
or a channel subject to international coordination issues, may use this form to seek an alternative channel designation."

What did I just say?

Will somebody file a third round channel election on or by May 26?

Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMM.

STAY TUNED....

Thank you for the correction. I thought round 2 was over by June, results later. Round 3 was some nebulous future date. Sounds like the FCC decided this ATSC thing is gonna happen, after all.

Thank you for the links.

And thank you for noting you changed the thread title, so I don't think I've gone round the bend just yet.

I'm beginning to feel like Gomer Pyle.

WSPY is a class A station, and W54BE is a repeater. Their rules are entirely different from full power TV stations.

I do not believe the FCC has set a final schedule for these to switch to digital because they are often funded by community associations or other such and have very limited radiation power.

Last edited:
I was also wondering what they were going to do with the thousands of low power channels around the country...religious, ethnic, music, shopping club, etc...there are several in our market alone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts