Status
Not open for further replies.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Lawsuit claims that better security could have prevented the guitarist's murder.

On the one-year anniversary of the shooting spree that took the life of Damageplan/ Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott and four others, Abbott's family has filed a lawsuit against the Columbus, Ohio, club where he was killed.

The suit against the Alrosa Villa nightclub was brought on behalf of the Abbott family by Dimebag's brother/bandmate, Damageplan drummer Vinnie Paul, and by Damageplan tour manager Chris Paluska and drum tech John Brooks, who were injured in the shooting, according to the trio's lawyer, Gerald Leeseberg.

"The central allegation of the lawsuit is that there was inadequate security provided at the music venue given the nature and size of the crowd and previous incidents at the club involving criminal activity," Leeseberg said. The lawyer cited police and media reports about earlier incidents at the metal club involving criminal activity, fighting, handguns and the firing of weapons.

On December 8, 2004 ex-Marine Nathan Gale rushed the stage at the club and opened fire with a 9mm gun, killing Dimebag, Damageplan bodyguard Jeff "Mayhem" Thompson, fan Nathan Bray and club worker Erin Halk, and injuring two — Paluska and Brooks (see "Dimebag Darrell, Four Others Killed In Ohio Concert Shooting").

Leeseberg said one of the other claims in the suit is that the security that was provided performed "horribly" in that they were aware of Gale's suspicious behavior prior to the shooting. "They watched him scale the security fence and gain access to the club and for reasons to be determined, he was allowed to go through the crowd and begin firing a weapon," Leeseberg said. "He was carrying a weapon and 50 rounds of ammunition, all of this with the knowledge of security that this individual was behaving strangely and they did nothing to stop him."

Leeseberg said the suit cites an incident eight months earlier in nearby Cincinnati in which security at a venue where Damageplan were playing identified Gale as a suspicious person and subdued him. In that incident, at the venue Bogart's, Gale was dragged off the stage during a Damageplan show on April 8, 2004 after he caused nearly $2,000 in damage to stage lights and other equipment during a struggle with police.

At the Alrosa Villa, eyewitnesses said Gale had been acting strangely before the show, first blocking the club's parking lot exit with his car, then pacing back and forth on the Villa's front lawn as the opening act played.

Leeseberg said the suit argues that steps could have been taken to intervene and stop Gale and that a metal detector at the front door would have deterred people with guns from coming into the venue. "If you have a gun, you wouldn't go through a metal detector," he said. "And if you are mentally ill and don't appreciate that if you have a gun it will go off, you will get caught."

However, Gale, who had a history of mental illness, did not enter the club through the front door, where a metal detector might have been placed. He jumped a low wall near the back and entered through a stage door after rushing by security guards. Leeseberg said that in allowing Gale to illegally enter the club, security failed to do its job. "They are supposed to stop that because security guards saw him do that [climb the fence]," he said. "One of the security guards said that he didn't want to mess with him [Gale] because he was a big dude."

Because of Ohio laws governing civil damages, the lawsuit seeks more than $25,000 in damages, though Leeseberg speculated that the actual amount of compensatory damages a jury could award the Abbott family and Paluska and Brooks for economic losses and pain and suffering would likely be "substantially" higher. In addition to waiting for the final, 600-page police report on the incident, Leeseberg said December 8 was also chosen as a date to file the suit for symbolic reasons.

Alrosa owner Eric Cautela could not be reached for comment, but in an earlier interview with local station WBNS, he reportedly admitted his security force wasn't prepared to stop a man bent on killing.

"My security guards aren't supposed to stop a bullet. They get paid $10-$12 an hour. They aren't paid to take a bullet," Cautela told the station last June.

The Alrosa will be closed on Thursday and Friday in honor of the anniversary of the murders.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1517695/20051208/dimebag_darrell.jhtml?headlines=true

As if burying dime in a f**king KISS casket wasn't enough to make me despise that family, this does it. His family is majorly f**ked up. The guy was DERANGED, and as the article said, he wouldn't have been caught by a metal detector since he hopped a fence. The only thing that would have stopped him was if someone from his personal life realized he had a problem. He'd been deranged about pantera for years, claimed they stole his lyrics even though it was him trying to pass them off as his. How many more "off his meds" stories do we need to hear about in the news (The guy who was shot last week in miami...) before we get some control over people on mental health drugs?

I love Dimebag and Vinnie, but the rest of that hillbilly family needs to just let it go. Doing this just drags it up again and they will not win. Even if they did, that club is a dive, they have nothing to give them.

Dimebag's family appears to have been short changed a nickebags worth of common sense. Sorry folks, but short of issuing Dimebag and half-dozen body guards and playing behind bullet proof glass, there is little you can do to prevent evil people from committing evil acts.

Purogamer said:
As if burying dime in a f**king KISS casket wasn't enough to make me despise that family.............that hillbilly family needs to just let it go.
Just so you know, Dimebag was a personal friend of mine. One of Dime "hero's" was Ace Frehley (Kiss guitarist) and Dime had a tattoo of Ace one his chest (Ace signed it!). Dime's "hang-out" room at his house was decorated with Kiss memoribilia.

Dime & I had numerous conversations regarding being "true" to Rock. Most only saw the savage guitarist that was Dimebag on stage, but those of us who knew the other side know that Dime would not have wanted it any other way than to be buried with axe in hand and enveloped for all eternity in the KISS KASKET.

One of the last conversations I had with Dime we were talking about getting older and how some of our friends were "sitting around getting fat & bald and saying "turn that f**king music down"". Dime said he never wanted to get that way, and said he was proud to see I was staying "true" to my R&R roots. Dime will forever be immortal now, and is having one great time with the likes of John Bonham, Janis Joplin, Jerry Gargia, John Lennon, Jimmy Hendrix, Jim Morrison, and BLOWING IT UP!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm saying to don't judge him too harshly for him not conforming to the "norm", Dime stayed true to who he was and what he enjoyed and believed in. Dime was one of the most loyal and trusting people I have ever known. He was generous, loving and giving. He would ALWAYS tell you exactly what he thought, and would never turn his back on you in a time of need. You may call him "hillbilly" or what every.......but that doesn't diminish the fact that he was a great friend, brother, and ONE OF THE MOST SAVAGE GUITARIST to have graced our earth!

I miss him everyday. The world is a better place because of him..........

Robert

I'm well aware of Dime's love of KISS. The whole reason he was buried in the KISS casket was because at one point when he found out about it, he said they should bury him in one. I refuse to believe he was serious about it. It couldn't have been in his will since i'm sure he didn't think he'd be dead for a long ass time. It just really struck me as a "WTF" when I heard they buried him in the KISS casket. A lot of people have KISS tattoos and KISS stuff in the house without feeling any need to be put to rest in the KISS casket. I don't think gene himself would be buried in a KISS casket.

It just struck me as very odd. I realize they probably didn't have time to have a casket custom made with a pic of dime or a logo or anything. It's not super upsetting, I just found it very odd.

I also think, despite the heat and despite the recent interviews, Phil should have been let in to pay his respects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts