Status
Not open for further replies.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
Shopping centers are working hard to avoid mention of the C-word.

“Merry Christmas!” the shivering Salvation Army bell-ringer said cheerily as I stuffed a couple bucks in his red kettle just outside Glenbrook Square.

“Don’t you mean, ‘Happy Holidays’?” I answered, doing my best imitation of an ACLU lawyer.

“I don’t go for that politically correct stuff,” he replied.

He’s not alone. Christ was exorcized from America’s civic Christmas celebration a long time ago. Today, the battle is simply to keep Christmas in Christmas – and, at long last, the good guys seem to be on the offensive.

Fueled by conservative groups, cable TV and the Internet, this campaign to conserve Christmas is gaining notoriety and momentum. Just in time, too: Sherlock Holmes would be hard-pressed to detect even a hint of the C-word at Glenbrook and, I suspect, most other shopping centers.

I spent an afternoon at Glenbrook last week – the things I’ll

do for a story — and saw plenty

of wreaths, lights, trees, snowflakes, garland and an assortment of red-and-green signs. I saw

Santa Claus, snowmen and

Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. Victoria’s Secret was selling

skimpy Santa-style lingerie. Kay Jewelers was selling “Santa certificates.” Rogers & Hollands was having its “jeweltide celebration,” and L.S. Ayres’ cosmetics department wished customers a “Merry Clinique.”

But where was “Merry Christmas”?

Ayres is Glenbrook’s most-decorated store, so I began my search there. There were plenty of ads for its “holiday sale,” and songs on the mall’s public-address system wished shoppers a “Happy Holiday” during this “Most Wonderful Time of the Year.”

But which holiday, exactly? What time of year?

Finally, in a second-floor corner near the bathrooms, I discovered a clue: an advertisement for gift cards. One card pictured a snowflake. Another had an evergreen tree, and another a snowflake. Then I saw it: A card bearing the image of a menorah, and the wish for a “Happy Hanukkah.”

Mystery solved. The shoppers crowding into Fort Wayne’s malls must be Jewish!

But with a recent Fox News poll showing 95 percent of Americans celebrate Christmas, I knew the evidence had to be misleading. Finally, at a place called the Holiday Store – how ironic is that? – I found what I was looking for.

“Christmas items,” the sign said. “Twenty-five percent off.”

I should have known. Even when Christmas gets mentioned, it gets devalued.

You don’t have to be religious to get cranky when so many people work hard to deny what is obvious: The stores aren’t full of people this time of year – and the nation doesn’t screech to a halt each Dec. 25 – because of Hanukkah, Kwanzaa or even the winter solstice. Yet, according to a poll by the American Family Association, a conservative Christian group, 91 percent of TV ads are avoiding the mention of Christmas.

No longer willing to see the holiday treated like a four-letter word, Manuel Zamorano of Sacramento, Calif., created the Committee to Save Merry Christmas this year and is already claiming at least one convert. Speaking by phone, he told me Macy’s Department Stores – which purchased L.S. Ayres this year – has agreed to use “Merry Christmas” in its ads beginning next year. Neither Glenbrook nor Ayres’ headquarters returned my phone calls, so I can’t explain why they do what they do – or don’t do.

“There are two groups out there,” he said. “The first group doesn’t realize ‘Merry Christmas’ has been taken out of our culture. The second group realizes it, but doesn’t know what to do about it. That’s why we’ve had 20,000 hits on our Web site savemerrychristmas.org in a single day.”

As a Christian, it wasn’t Ayres’ “Hanukkah” gift card that offended me. It was the ad’s religious double-standard that bothered me, and you would think usually astute corporate executives and advertising gurus would comprehend the reaction. In their apparent zeal to avoid offending the 5 percent of the population that ignores Christmas, they risk alienating the vast majority of their customers.

It’s already happening.

“When people say, ‘Happy Holidays,’ I generally say, ‘Merry Christmas,’” said Betty Green of Van Buren, Ind., as she took a break from shopping. “Each person and store has the right to do what they want, but I’d like to think I’d be less likely to shop at stores that don’t (acknowledge Christmas).”

She may not be alone. The Committee to Save Merry Christmas and other groups are encouraging people to shop at stores using the C-word – and to avoid those that don’t. Just Wednesday, the American Family Association reported Target and Sears stores may start using “Christmas” in their ads.

Unlike the debates over manger scenes in courthouse squares, this is not a church-state issue. It’s not even a religious issue, since true Christians don’t mistake sales for salvation. This is about Americans using their money to influence corporate policy – a perfectly legitimate process that happens every day, in a million different ways.

“‘Merry Christmas’ isn’t a curse; it’s a blessing,” Zamorano said. “Even if you’re of another faith, you shouldn’t be offended by it.”

So Merry Christmas to you all.

There. I said it, and I’m glad.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/news/local/13359471.htm

Personal Note: Merry Christmas from our family to yours !!!:) May we all be blessed.

Last edited:
Merry christmas to you as well, the article is a glaring example of the perceived majority bending to the whim and will of the tiny minority that arent happy with how we live our lives and feel that it is being forced on them against theyr wishes.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

I am not afraid to say it, as it always has been, is now, and always will be Christmas.

Merry Christmas from my family to yours. :)

Sheesh

Boy, you Christians sure find a lot to get worked up about. Sounds like you are some kind of oppressed minority or something.

I'm sure sorry you don't get a merry Christmas from the stores as you buy all the Chinese made crap for the season.

When I was growing up we used to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Now it's just easier to say Happy Holidays, as in English more than one gets a 's' attached to it.

Dosen't make us godless commies, just trying to get it all in as short as possible.

Another one of these issues to keep the funds flowing into all these organizations that fight every preceived slight.

By the way Merry Christmas (but I guess not Happy New Year)

jkohnman said:
Boy, you Christians sure find a lot to get worked up about. Sounds like you are some kind of oppressed minority or something.
I'm sure sorry you don't get a merry Christmas from the stores as you buy all the Chinese made crap for the season.
When I was growing up we used to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Now it's just easier to say Happy Holidays, as in English more than one gets a 's' attached to it.
Dosen't make us godless commies, just trying to get it all in as short as possible.
Another one of these issues to keep the funds flowing into all these organizations that fight every preceived slight.
By the way Merry Christmas (but I guess not Happy New Year)

It's not that.

Look at it this way, we don't tell Jewish people they can't say Happy Hanukkah or people who celebrate Kwanza that they can't say that either.

To each his own.

Associated Press Article

According to an AP story : Target Corp. "will make specific references to Christmas and other holidays in its marketing".
Merry Christmas to all.
Tom in TX

cablewithaview said:
“‘Merry Christmas’ isn’t a curse; it’s a blessing,” Zamorano said. “Even if you’re of another faith, you shouldn’t be offended by it.”

This should be a two-way street. If people shouldn't be offended by the term Merry Christmas, then others shouldn't be offended if a person or company decides to say Happy Holidays.

For me, the term Merry Christmas is more of a cultural term than a religious one, so I have no problems saying it.

Happy Holidays! Which is derived of course from Happy Holy-days.
The obvious has to finally be said. It's time people stand up and say "What are you complaining about?!"
We, Christians in faith and tradition are the majority. No one is discreminating against us.
Let's remember:
1. Most of these images, celebrations, traditions are based in non-Christian observances. Yule log, decorated trees, winter feasts, gift exchanges etc.
2. In the U.S. many communitees even made Christmas celebrations illegal as antiChristian behavior until as late as the 1800's.
3. Only Christmas, not Hanaka, Ramadan or even the new contrived celebration Kwanza, IS a national/Federal holiday.
4. Shopping malls, department stores of course are all about sales not Christ.

Those offended by Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings should work harder at not being so easily manipulated by the popular media. Most importantly Christians who are worried about the true meaning of the season only need spend some time this month in their neighborhood church to find...
Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Men :)

Neutron said:
It's not that.
Look at it this way, we don't tell Jewish people they can't say Happy Hanukkah or people who celebrate Kwanza that they can't say that either.
To each his own.

I don't think anyone is saying you can't say Merry Christmas either. They aren't saying any particular holiday at all. Maybe they can force the companys to just start reading a list of all the holidays people pay attention to this time of year.

Just hits me as a funny thing to have the panties in a bunch over. How about getting worked up about all the Christians (and others) from hurricane areas who will not have homes this year, who could use help this year, instead of some non-issue like if Target said "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays?"

jbcheshire said:
jkohnman,
I wish you a Merry Christmas! and a Happy New Year!

Thank you, Happy New Year to you also, and Merry Christmas! :hatsoff:

Happy Holidays, just in case

socalpanman said:
Happy Holidays! Which is derived of course from Happy Holy-days.
The obvious has to finally be said. It's time people stand up and say "What are you complaining about?!"
We, Christians in faith and tradition are the majority. No one is discreminating against us.
Let's remember:
1. Most of these images, celebrations, traditions are based in non-Christian observances. Yule log, decorated trees, winter feasts, gift exchanges etc.
2. In the U.S. many communitees even made Christmas celebrations illegal as antiChristian behavior until as late as the 1800's.
3. Only Christmas, not Hanaka, Ramadan or even the new contrived celebration Kwanza, IS a national/Federal holiday.
4. Shopping malls, department stores of course are all about sales not Christ.

Those offended by Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings should work harder at not being so easily manipulated by the popular media. Most importantly Christians who are worried about the true meaning of the season only need spend some time this month in their neighborhood church to find...
Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Men :)

You said it WAY better than I did Particularly the last paragraph. I think that's the part that bothers me the most

But this topic is super offensive to jewish people...seriously...

You can say merry christmas to someone you know celebrates it. If you know someone who's jewish you know not to say merry christmas, you say Happy Chanukah. It's easy when you know who celebrates what.

However when you run a store that is frequented by people of different faiths and backgrounds, you can't just pick one holiday. That's what we call racist. You have to either celebrate them all, or come up with a term that describes them all. Which is why Happy Holidays works. It encompasses them all, and doesn't cost them more money to celebrate every major holiday this time of year.

Same with tv, you can't say "Merry Christmas" without some jewish people getting upset. You can't say Happy Hanukah with christians getting upset. Nobody is TRYING to upset anyone, it's actually quite the opposite actually. Happy Holidays is the most non-offensive term in the history of modern language and yet somehow we've got nothing better to do than try to assign it some demonic meaning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)