Dipexor use with DP-34

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Okay, HDTV's prices keep going down. Saw one at Wally-mart for under $700 with 2 tuners built in (PiP). Looks really tempting, but Dish's HD-package sucks, so I'll probably clip one of the terk's onto the Dish (I live within 25 miles of most of my networks).

The question I have is in the use of diplexor's. My current Dish setup is dishpro 500 w/ 61.5 feeding into a DP-34. The DP-34 then feeds a 721 and 2 311's. The 721 will be hooked up to the HDTV, but wouldn't mind an OTA feed to the other rooms either.

The terk clipon has a built-in diplexor. It appears both the feeds from the 500 (119 & 110) will feed through it, and then to the DP-34.

Will that OTA feed then survive the DP-34 to go into each of the 4 outputs?
And then will it be a simple matter of a dipexor on one of the 721 input lines to feed the HDTV?
Also, for future considerations, if I ever cough of the $$$ for a DPP-44 and eliminate one of the runs to the 721, will the OTA also survive the seperator?

thanks

I dont believe the diplexed run would make it through the switch. That said it cant hurt to try.

What should be done is attaching the diplexor on the output of the switch then another at the receiver location. I am hoping that this $700 TV has a built in HDTV tuner if not you will need one of sorts. Another thing to note is that if you split your OTA feed then it reduces the signal significantly (I think up to 1/2)

Things you may want to check on:
Does TV have HDTV tuner in it (not HDTV ready with set top box).
How does the digital reception look in your area (http://antennaweb.org)

And if you decide to go with the DPP-44 yes diplexors can be used (it looks nasty) SimpleSimon has a post around here with where in the line each device needs to go.

2 tuners are built in, biggest reason I'm considering it.
All my stations are listed in the red, so shouldn't need anything big.

Was hoping the diplexed signal would survive the switch so I wouldn't have to run another line into the house.

I'll do a search for SimpleSimon's post. thanks

yes two tuners are built in. my 52" tv has 2 tuners in it but neither is an ATSC HDTV tuner. be aware of this. depending on the location of the switch you may not have to run another line. if the switch is close enough just piplex right to port one or whatever line you want to use.

if this is the TV you were planning on getting you will need an external HDTV tuner

Panasonic 32" HDTV Monitor with 2-Tuner PIP, CT-32HC43
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...e=19&dept=3944&path=0:3944:172479:3996:136944

thought you might want a little warning. this was the only TV on Walmarts site that I saw that matched your description. Another thing of note is that its not 16x9 which means that it will either chop the sides of the image off or it will have black bars on top and bottom of any actual HD source.

found the tread, thanks.

I think what I could do is: use the terk, then diplex the OTA out prior to the switch, then diplex into any line I want to feed, and diplex back out at the tv. Since the terk will feed both the 110 and 119 lines, I'll use one for the HD and one for any other SD's.

I did check the tv out carefully. Both tuners are ATSC. That was in tiny type below the big HDTV built-in banner. Also it was widescreen. Didn't see any ads on it, it was in the store that I ran across it.

I saw that TV at Walmart. It's a Sanyo 30" with a digital tuner. I have one of those Terk clip ons(1 diplexor) with just one receiver. It gets 7(ABC & 9( PBS) in HD from Redding, Ca 70 miles away. The signal does break up sometimes but it's 70 miles. We live in a long valley.

Derwin0: The OTA signal will almost certainly NOT make it through the switch. I don't know what you think you might be doing with 110 & 119, but that's not it. ;)

I believe the Terk's design is for a Twin LNBF without any switches downstream.

yeah, that seems to be the consesus. oh well, so much for a clean install for OTA
since my locals are all between 7 and 25 miles away, i'll dust off the old trust rabbit ears and see if they work :D

You could always diplex it out before the switch, put that output into a signal/distribution amplifier, then diplex it back in. That can get expensive though.

ajohnson said:
You could always diplex it out before the switch, put that output into a signal/distribution amplifier, then diplex it back in. That can get expensive though.
I considered that in an earlier post, but I kept seeing $$$, course nothing compared to the HDTV itself :D

Best thing is usually to get an inexpensive UHF antenna and stick it in your attic, run wires from there to wherever, diplexing to the box if you must.

Please Help!
I have a Dishpro 500 with a quad LNB and DP34 multiswitch in the crawl space of the house feeding a 811 HD receiver, two 301's and the dual tuner receiver (forget the model #). How do I hook this up? When I tried it , the channels came in fine on the 301 that I put the diplexor on, but when I hooked up the 811 with the diplexor I lost my SAT. HD channels and my SAT locals. The local HD channels came in fine on the 811, but the SAT HD channels even disappeared from the listings. Tried resetting the receiver with no luck. Couldn't get thru to Dish. What could be happening?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)