Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I think this can be done but wanted to make sure

In my spare bedroom (computer room) I am putting a FTA box (one that gets G4, G10, etc)…I also want to have the capability to watch my StarChoice box in there (the box is in the living room)

Right now I have a combiner that combines OTA and a fixed channel 3 output but I can’t use that because I’ll be working with satellite.

Here’s my question

Can I run 2 diplexers? Have one on the output of the Starchoice combined with a satellite signal and in the other room split it off to sat input and rf input?

Starchoice rf output-----ant on diplexer-------------ant out on diplexer
Satellite cable------------sat on diplexer````````sat out on diplexer------receiver?

And when box is on I get FTA and when off I get SC? Will that work?

Dave
I’m thinking it will work because the StarChoice will only output channel 3 so we are combining a OTA frequency and a satellite in one cable which is what a diplexer does (combines OTA & satellite)

Now I tink I got it Yes you want to send the FTA over the sat input to the diplexer as well as the say ch 3 from starchoice and using 1 coax split it in the bedroom to get FTA and switch the ant in on that receiver to see ch 3 from SC. You must be going to control the SC with a UHF remote I guess.

Dave

hmmmm I wonder if this idea will work for injecting a feed off of my c band sub (vcII) so it will be viewable elsewhere in the house?

Well I tried it and worked like a charm :)

Turn box on...FTA
Turn box off or hit "sat/tv" button (have to be hooked to coax)...TSN (StarChoice) :)

so Dr Hydro that would work too..I guess what you could do for more than one output is split the coax out and use a pair of diplexers on each run you want both FTA & the C-Band output. The only drawback in your case is you can't have the OTA split in too....but that would be possible with a signal combiner that combines OTA & a fixed channel setup at 3 or 4

Let's take it a step further.... two receivers. Take the output on one(ch3) and tie it into a split placed backwards and then take the output of the second one(ch4) and tie into the splitter. Diplex it and take it back out on the other side. Can you get Ch3 and Ch4 clear enough to watch?

won't work here....we have 316K watt WCCO (CBS) on Channel 4 here in Minneapolis about 25 miles from me. If you don't have a channel 3 or 4 in your area it might work

I have one of those ChannelPlus units that I can take 2 sets of a/v plugs and a coax and run it through the house on 2 specific channels

hmmmmm i have a channel 3 here, but signal is very weak. Nothing on channel 4. Can I make this work?

I have an external audio vidoe modulator that take composite video and 2 audio inputs select the tv channel you want it to be on (one that is not in use off air)and connect that into the ant port on the diplexex.I used this setup over my BEV with a surveillance video camera into the modulator and at the receiver I could switch between BEV and the outdoor camera.The only thing is when you go to tv on the sat/tv you must chane your tv to the ch selected by the modulator.A little more trouble but works well.

If you have a number of receivers, you can use agile modulators (RF modulators which can output on any channel you choose within a range) and put each one on a different channel. This is actually exactly what is done at a cable TV headend. You can combine the outputs from the modulators into one cable by using a combiner such as the Blonder-Tongue OC series.

I know you can get modulators and do it but I was thinking of trying something like I explained above without buying anything.

Yes I think your idea should work ok as long as like Iceberg said ch 3 or 4 doesn't have any interference from OTA.

I think you would take the output of each receiver one on ch 3 and one on ch 4 connect them through a 2 port splirtter/combiner then into the ant of the diplexer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eastcoast said:
I have an external audio vidoe modulator that take composite video and 2 audio inputs select the tv channel you want it to be on (one that is not in use off air)and connect that into the ant port on the diplexex.I used this setup over my BEV with a surveillance video camera into the modulator and at the receiver I could switch between BEV and the outdoor camera.The only thing is when you go to tv on the sat/tv you must chane your tv to the ch selected by the modulator.A little more trouble but works well.

Dave
I just got something like that. I can combine 2 a/v sets and a cable/antenna and ouput that to 5 TV's. The a/v plugs have a specific channel you put the TV on.

So here's a crazy idea. Here's what combiners I have at home
-diplexers
-the above (2 av plug inputs)
-an old radio shack distribution box (takes antenna and 2 other coax inputs and you can select 2 channels between 60-69)
-a straight channel 3 combiner with OTA

I could possible hook these in series using the coax outs and have one helluva setup (but I have a feeling there would be signal loss but lets just think for a moment)

Hook 2 units to the RS box and have those on say channels 62 & 66
run the output of that into the antenna in on the fixed channel 3 combiner. hook another unit to that..so now we're outputting channel 3, 62 & 66

run the output of that into the Channel Plus unit and hook 2 more items to that on say 43 & 50

So I could have in reality 5 boxes running through my house on one cable (the Channel Plus allows 5 outputs).... (hell throw a FTA box in the mix and have more). Have channels 3, 43, 50, 62,66. Have my own TV studio in my house :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts