Diplex with powered OTA and Wally

pruemr

Original poster
Dec 9, 2019
Los Angeles
I live on a boat and I'm trying to avoid running a second coax cable through my deck. I currently have a Wingard X1 dish with a wally receiver. I understand I should be fine with a diplexer on both ends to run an OTA antenna through the same coax. However, I'm less clear if that will work with a powered OTA antenna. Most of the good longer range OTA antenna are powered and don't understand how that will work with a diplex setup. Can that be done, or do I need to run the power to the OTA after it's split right at the antenna so it doesn't interfere with the satellite signal?

I live on a boat and I'm trying to avoid running a second coax cable through my deck. I currently have a Wingard X1 dish with a wally receiver. I understand I should be fine with a diplexer on both ends to run an OTA antenna through the same coax. However, I'm less clear if that will work with a powered OTA antenna. Most of the good longer range OTA antenna are powered and don't understand how that will work with a diplex setup. Can that be done, or do I need to run the power to the OTA after it's split right at the antenna so it doesn't interfere with the satellite signal?
Can you not put the power inserter after the diplexer, but before the cable leaves the boat? I'll try to draw it (ignore the ..... They are only for spacing)...

Dish -------------------------------------|
..............................................................|
..............................................................| Diplexer ----------------------------------------------------- (another diplexer here) RX
OTA -----------power inserter---------|

Can you not put the power inserter after the diplexer, but before the cable leaves the boat? I'll try to draw it (ignore the ..... They are only for spacing)...

Dish -------------------------------------|
..............................................................| Diplexer ----------------------------------------------------- (another diplexer here) RX
OTA -----------power inserter---------|
That is a possibility however, I don't have power available currently where the antenna will so that could mean another power line through the boat which I'm trying to avoid.

That is a possibility however, I don't have power available currently where the antenna will so that could mean another power line through the boat which I'm trying to avoid.
Is the diplexer itself inside the boat or outside? If inside, keep the power inserter inside also (that's what I was picturing). If the diplexer is outside, then yea, that's a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)