Diplexer for cable modem and cable tv?

jonsteffen

Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
So in my building I have cable tv coming in on one coax and cable internet coming in on another coax.

I only have one cable coming into my office and want both cable tv and cable internet in there.

Can I use two diplexers to put these signals onto one coax? What general hertz does cable tv come on, and what hertz does cable internet come on?

and no, I can't just use one cable. Its basically two services from two different providers, and it saves me money.

Thanks for any and all help guys.

Don't use a diplexor, use a 2 way splitter or better yet a dc-6 depending on your signal.

So in my building I have cable tv coming in on one coax and cable internet coming in on another coax.

I only have one cable coming into my office and want both cable tv and cable internet in there.

Can I use two diplexers to put these signals onto one coax? What general hertz does cable tv come on, and what hertz does cable internet come on?

and no, I can't just use one cable. Its basically two services from two different providers, and it saves me money.

Thanks for any and all help guys.

So you have two seperate drops coming into your service panel?

If that is the case, you may be out of luck.... splitters work when both the TV and data signal is coming from the same service line (drop)....

Diplexers will probablu not work as neither of the cable signals will be utilizing the frequency that most diplexers are designed to seperate.

Should only cost you about 10 bucks and a few minutes to try it though....

Your other option is to put the cable modem in another room and just run your internet through wireless.....

Well that's not what I was hoping to hear. I hate wireless internet. Always has given me troubles. Tried every manufacturer and 802.11a b g n, nothing works as it should.

Anybody else try what I'm doing before? Does radioshack sell diplexors or do I gotta order them online?

Well that's not what I was hoping to hear. I hate wireless internet. Always has given me troubles. Tried every manufacturer and 802.11a b g n, nothing works as it should.

Anybody else try what I'm doing before? Does radioshack sell diplexors or do I gotta order them online?

I know it's not the answer you're looking for... but if all else fails, order a Linksys WRT54GL. Not all WRTs are created the same... most versions have half the RAM of the 54GL.....I have owned many different routers made by all the manufacturers and this specific model is the best wireless router I have ever owned.... change the router's firmware to the open-source firmware "DD-WRT" and enjoy never losing your connection again. I have had this one for over 6 months and have not lost my connection a single time so far. You can order this specific model from Newegg.com

Well maybe I will try that one out. My current dlink gamer draft n just doesn't seem to work. Also, what laptop and desktop cards do u recommend with that linksys?

Its been my experience that the adapter is also important to good connection. My ps3 loses connection only 10percent of the time compared to my laptop.

Well maybe I will try that one out. My current dlink gamer draft n just doesn't seem to work. Also, what laptop and desktop cards do u recommend with that linksys?

Its been my experience that the adapter is also important to good connection. My ps3 loses connection only 10percent of the time compared to my laptop.

I have several different adapters... I'm on my built-in one for my laptop right now... and it's a budget laptop... one of my desktops has an old cheap Netgear G card... the other has a cheapy model Linksys G card.... and the Itouch of course.... haven't had a connection problem on ANY of these yet. I know it is hard to believe... I didn't believe others either when they swore by this router because I have went through so many models in the past that either broke, or just didn't perform at a level I was happy with.... Don't forget to change the firmware first thing to DD-WRT though... that is the most important part.

Hmm, well I will have to buy one of these, perhaps it was just the router all along and my wireless adapters were just junk. I've had like 4 friends all with similar troubles with all brands models, but don't know that any of us ever had this specific model. If it works, i'll just stay wireless.

Did you try either cable to provide both services?

Just try it and see what happens.

I don't understand why there are 2 cables from the cable company in a typical plant all video and the up and downstream (data) carriers are on the same cable.

Hmm, thought I posted last night but guess it didn't take.

I have tried both cables for tv and internet, and each cable just has one of the services, dunno why.

Could I just use a combiner to merge both signals? Since the cable tv and cable internet are coming through on different frequencies, that should work right?

Its basically two services from two different providers

Sorry didn't catch that.

As previously stated a diplexor will not work.

You can find the up and downstream frequencies of the modem by accessing the modem diagnostic page.

If you use a 2 way splitter/combiner you could have overlapping frequencies.

If possible the easiest way is to run a second cable.

Most cable companies use 5-42mhz as the return band and 50-850mhz as the forward band (this munber may vary).

Interesting that they are running to lines. I have Charter for internet and basic cable and I only have one line run. I have it here at my work desk using a basic cheapo splitter I run a cable to my tv for cable and a 2nd cable to my router. Works like a charm.

You can't have both on one cable from two different providers. You would be getting two different RF signal levels and I am not sure how the modem would differentiate between the two connections. On the frequency question 5mhz to 1000mhz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)