Diplexer or Separate Lines or Extra Charge for Separate Line?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I emailed Joe Harkins at Installs Inc. I asked him a basic question regarding what customers are being told (up to 4 lines of coax) and what installers are told about one line of coax using the diplexer. This is Joe's response.

We are reworking our scope of work to reflect two changes. We did not have the VOOM provided multi-switch for 3 room and above jobs. We are also working on language to make the installers understand that they can either use a diplexer or run a separate line as determined by the individual needs of the job.

They are not supposed to charge for the extra line.

Installer called into Office and said that one-line with a diplexer would work just fine in my location, when I requested two lines. Surprisingly they were correct, but if I had a problem I'm sure they would have returned to install a second line @ no charge. It was their call.

I'm 35 miles from my broadcast towers and had the diplexor installed. Every thing seemed to work fine, although I only received two of the four major networks. This Saturday I had the Wineguard PR8800 upgrade installed by the same guy that performed my original install. After installing the new antenna he removed the large diplexor box outside and replaced it with what looked like a regular splitter which I guess is now a combiner. He didn't touch anything on the STB. Every thing still works fine. I get all four major networks, which is really all I care about anyway. That seems kinda weird to me. He said that the diplexor was drawing 12V from the STB and since there is no amp in the PR8800 it wasn't good to send the power to the antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts