diplexer problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dgordo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
Chicago
I am having a problem with my diplexers that I don't understand. I have a round dish with dual lnb. I have each line running into a multiplexer as well as the ota antenna. At each box the signal is split using a diplexer. When I connect in the line for the dish it works fine but as soon as I connect the line for the antenna I lose satellite reception. Anyone have any idea what might be the problem? Thanks for any help.

Sounds like your diplexer could be bad. I have not had a problem like that. You are connecting into the SAT IN and ANT IN and not "cable in" right? (stupid question i know just had to make sure)

If you have another diplexor, try using that.

I just had that problem yesterday. In my case it was a powered antenna and my theory is that there was too much of a power drain between the switch and the receiver due to the antenna. I finally found a configuration for the power adapter for the antenna that allowed me to see the satellite and the antenna signal. Unfortunately, my power supply is wonky and they have to send me a new one.

well i don't have a powered antenna so i don't think that is the problem. I tried using a different diplexer, but the same brand and still had the same problem. Are terk diplexers any good? Is is possible that the cables are causing the problem? I don't have any other to try so I can't tell if that is it.

I do not quite understand why any activity on the ANT IN port is causing an issue with your SAT picture.

I wonder if the box needs to be reset (unplug while turned on) after both plugs are in so it can properly generate the channel list of OTA and SAT channels.

Does the box say "searching for sat" when you plug it in? What type of box are you using?

double check the MS connections ... it sounds like you are on an LNB position instead of the ANT position, they are specific and should be labeled.

Yes, it does say "searching for sat."
I don't feel like messing around with it any more tonight but tomorrow ill try unplugging the box before I screw in the cables.
It is happening in both my Hughes box and my Samsung box.

slacker9876 said:
double check the MS connections ... it sounds like you are on an LNB position instead of the ANT position, they are specific and should be labeled.

That's not the problem. I definitely have them in the right place. The weird thing is as soon as I unplug the antenna input the satellite works, but as soon as the cord for the antenna even touches the input I lose satellite signal.

What type of switch are you using?

Is the ANT signal too strong and is pissing off the receivers enough to just shut down like that?

What if you plug the wire into the ANT jack. Take off the multiplexer and plug that coax right into the ANT. If the receiver and switch are working correctly you should be able to get ANT signal.

Now try plugging that same thing into the SAT. Does SAT work?

If those two work than the problem would be closer to the box, possibly in the multiplexer. The receiver should be able to use the appropriate line signal for each input even if their is no multiplexer.

If you are able to plug the line right from the switch into the box for ANT and get ANT channels and into SAT and get SAT channels i would think your multiplexer is screwing with you. If plugging the line right into the ANT does not give you ANT stations or the SAT does not give you SAT channels maybe the switch is bad.

Did this just start recently? Did you make any additions to your system and then this started?

I can't imagine both boxes going out at the same time like that, my guess is something else, like a bad switch or pair of multiplexor's, but two multiplexor's failing at the same time would be quite convenient as well..............

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I was able to leave work early today so i stopped by radio shack and picked up some new diplexers to see if that would do anything. That worked. I guess i just had 2 bad ones, or maybe the terk ones just aren't any good? I don't know but it works fine now. Well everything except WGN, but that looks like their problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)