Diplexers, splitters, and super home node

cornflakes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 9, 2005
Hi everyone, when Dish comes out to install, what parts such as switches, diplexers, and so forth are included, and what do I need to purchase?

What I want to do is precisely illustrated in Dish's DP Plus Distribution Example #11 (http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departm...tal/images/pdf/tech/DistributionExample11.pdf). Is the DP44 what I will be getting if I ask them for a 2-room 2-DVR setup?

The other question is about the super home node. If I don't need to combine the modulators' inputs with an off-air antenna, then can I get away with replacing the super home node in the diagram with a 4-way splitter?

Thank you for your help!

Hi everyone, when Dish comes out to install, what parts such as switches, diplexers, and so forth are included, and what do I need to purchase?

What I want to do is precisely illustrated in Dish's DP Plus Distribution Example #11 (http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departm...tal/images/pdf/tech/DistributionExample11.pdf). Is the DP44 what I will be getting if I ask them for a 2-room 2-DVR setup?

The other question is about the super home node. If I don't need to combine the modulators' inputs with an off-air antenna, then can I get away with replacing the super home node in the diagram with a 4-way splitter?

Thank you for your help!

First off you shouldn't have to provide so much as a cable clip to have your installation completed. You didn't mention where you live but either way you will have a single dish installed that will receive three sats. either a western arc (110/119/129) or eastern arc (61.5/72.7/77). Each of these dish's can send a signal to 3 receivers without adding an external switch. If you need a wing dish for a fourth sat location I think it can be added without an external switch, but if not I'm pretty sure you would then have the DP44 switch added to your set up. Can't provide any info about the super home node, but again if the tech thinks it needs to be installed it should be installed.

ROss

You won't get a 44 switch. The switch is built into the LNB assembly now and only requires 1 line going to each receiver. Once you have more than 3 receivers a 44 switch is required.

Yes to the splitter question.

The super home node is a terrible piece of equipment and will not work with some brands of cable.

a Vip222k or Vip722k with the OTA module will give you 2 room sat and ota channels the same way the super home node would. especially when by itself the super home node does nothing for digital ota signals

Thanks for the replies, guys... Great to hear I don't even need the switch... that's one less thing to deal with. I don't really need OTA distribution... I'm more interested in just distributing the outputs of the two DVRs to other TVs in the house so I'll give the splitters approach a try. Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind is that the splitters, diplexers, and Super Home Node must be Dish Network approved parts (if you don't want to void the warranty). A list of those parts has been published. It is important to use for 2 reasons:

1. Dish has tested the parts and they meet Dish specs and will work with Dish Network systems and won't cause harm to the system. For splitters, by my memory, the RED Holland and for diplexers the BLUE color Holland must be used in line with power supply to prevent damage, but while other Holland can be used, it is best to just use the BLUE colored Holland for all diplexers as it will work well in all installs and you don't have to deal with remembering which Holland to what.

2. Any parts that are not Dish Network branded or not from the Dish Network approved list will VOID your warranty, be it the original 1 year or subsequent DHPP.

As for the Super Home Node, Dish approves and recommends the Eagle Aspen as it also meets FCC requirements by preventing your TV signals from being broadcast on your OTA to the neighborhood. Several on this forum have reported the Eagle Aspen works well.

Many people use other branded parts and they accept the risk and don't care about voiding the warranty. That is your decision.