Diplexing 622s?

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
After many emails and phone calls, I FINALLY got Dish to agree to letting me have two 622s when they come and switch me over from DirecTV. Yeah! (Well, I do have to pay an extra $149.00, but I can live with that).

Anyway, my current set up with D* is that I have a rooftop antenna that's diplexed into the line coming into the house. Can I do the same with Dish? Reason I ask is that the newer systems on D* have some sort of frequency issue, which prevents diplexing. Didn't know if it's the same with Dish.

Thanks! Looking forward to having all of this done and watching TV!

Dunno what the problem on D* is, but on E*, the Dish Pro Plus LNB stacks frequencies so instead of using just 950-1450MHz it uses 950-2150 MHz. If the sat input on the diplexer attenuates signals above 1.45GHz that would make it unsuitable for a stacked LNB application.

You can diplex the 622, but only AFTER the DPP44 switch, assuming you have one.

It is really better not to diplex because it causes signal loss on both the satellite and OTA feeds. If either is compromised, you have problems.

You can diplex the 622, but only AFTER the DPP44 switch, assuming you have one.

It is really better not to diplex because it causes signal loss on both the satellite and OTA feeds. If either is compromised, you have problems.

What he said. You shouldn't diplex between the LNBs and switches.

The problem with D* is that the new dish puts one of the new Ka satellite signal into the lower band frequencies so the OTA and satellite signal will be in the same frequencies.

I use a diplexor on both of my 622 receivers . I am using a dish 1000 with dishpro plus lnb + side sat to 61.5, and I have a terk 44 clip on antenna on the sat dish and it is diplexed at both receivers in my house. I get a 100 strength or better on all my sat connections on most of the transponders on 110/119/61.5 and I get a 100 strength on my ota station on CBS, 75 on ABC and a 85 on NBC. The only ota stations I get. I suffer no signal loss. Dish can be diplexed without any issues . My mom and Dad have a similar setup with a terk 42 clip on antenna and suffer no problems either.

I have had good luck diplexing with D* for 2 years-- maybe I'm in a good location? I think I'll give it a try.

Jim, can you explain what is meant by "AFTER the DPP44 switch"? Sorry to be such a noob!

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Mike, you could experience problems if you have a switch. If you don't then you should be fine. It'll probably be OK to use diplexers between the LNBs and the switch but it's not recommended. That's why Jim said it's OK after the DPP44 switch.

Sorry! Still not getting what the "DPP44 switch" is and where it comes in. Can you clarify?

Thanks again!

Mike, you could experience problems if you have a switch. If you don't then you should be fine. It'll probably be OK to use diplexers between the LNBs and the switch but it's not recommended. That's why Jim said it's OK after the DPP44 switch.

NO external Switch just a dishpro plus twin for now on a dish 1000. Next week I am getting a dish 1000.2 and it uses a triple lnb that does the same thing. The only place that the line if diplexed is at the terk 44 clip on atenna and at the receiver before it is diplexed into one line for the ota and one line for the sat and then using a dishpro seperator it split into two sat cables for my 622 dvr. The diplexor is built in to the antenna itself . Have never had any problems with this setup for over 4 years now.

Ahh! Thanks a lot!

Any idea what the "going rate" is for having the installer put it in the right place? It's currently up at the antenna on the roof. Which brings up a related matter-- will the Dish installer basically use the same lines that are running from the DirectTV sat I currently have? Seems like that would make things a lot easier.

Howdy MikeD,

I'd like to diplex an OTA outdoor antenna to two 622s, too.

I have a 1000+ with a DPP44. I get programming on 110, 118.7, 119 and 129. I've got two 622s that each feed another room via TV2.

I'd like to get OTA locals in each room that has a 622. I'm not worried about getting OTA locals in the other rooms that the 622s also feed.

I'm guessing that I'd use a splitter at the antenna and send each ant feed to a diplexer. That would mean two diplexers outside. So, I'd diplex AFTER the DPP44 switch?

Now as far as at the receivers...assume I 'undiplex' AFTER the current diplexer at each receiver that separates TV1 and TV2, and prior to the separator that currently goes into the 622's sat1 and sat2 terminals?

My goal with this project is to boost my OTA signal stength. My OTA signal strength is pretty good with the $12 indoor antennas I'm currently using, but hoping the outdoor antenna will be even better, even though I'd be splitting the signal.

My Dish signals are a bit hit or miss. I'm in Austin, and I've over-peaked 129, because that one was the worst with rain fade, and now 110, 118.7 and 119 are a bit lower, but mainly in the 80s and 90s. I probably plan to assess them again.

I find it interesting that you use 61.5. Was that because of poor results on 129? If so, I may need to look into that option. Are you using a wing dish on 61.5?

Thanks much for any advice/input you're willing to provide.

Fitz

Last edited:
I use the terk 44 clip on antenna on my dish1000.2 and my parents dish 1000.2 as well. I get all my ota stations in my area. When you use the terk the antenna is diplexed into the switch and the sat is also plugged in, then sent down one cable to the house.

I then use the diplexors to split it to antenna to my splitter for several antenna related devices , and to satellite to my dishpro seperator to split it to two coaxes to my 622 dvrs . I would think that you would have to do the antenna after the dishpro44 switch and then diplex again like I have done in the house at each 622 dvr. So you sound like you have it figured out right.

Just a thought: You could use a Nexxtech 2-way signal splitter/combiner (available at Circuit City for 9.99) for your antenna to split it to two seperate coaxes, then run each coax into the two diplexors- tv side . You could also turn this switch around to combine two different antennas into one coax. ** I use it that way at my parents house for one pesky ota channel they can't lock on with the terk 44. They are further away then me from the broadcast towers.

AS far as the 61.5 sat dish. I have been using a side dish 500 with a single dual lnb centered in the middle of the dish for my Hd national channels since May of 2005. I tried the dish 1000 and then the dish 1000.2 sat dish to get the hd channels but I notice audio drop outs and video pixelations with the dish 1000 and with the dish 1000.2 I just get audio reverbs and drop outs on recorded shows. I don't get this at all with the 61.5 sat dish. It is peaked and the signal is in the 100s on most transponders.

The main reason why I wanted the dish 1000.2 was the size and the ability to use the dish 61.5 along with the 110/119/129 sats. I have since started using the 129 sat again to see if the problems would go away since I repeaked my sat dish to get better strengths on 129. IF I notice any problems then I will go back and put foil over the 129 lnb and run a check switch to get the 129 sat out of the switch matrix and use 61.5 again.

Thanks for the reply Mike. There's a Terk 44 on clearance at home depot for $45, so i think i might try it. I'm a little confused as to where the T44 gets diplexed...seems like it would need to be before the DPP44.

Also not sure that it would fit the oval 1000+...assume it can be sorta stretched to fit.

thanks again.

In my setup with a dish 1000.2 , the internal switch is built into the triple lnb itself. So I run the coaxes from the lnb -with the switch inside- to the terk 44 In port then the OUT ports run the single coaxes to the receivers in the house where I diplex them into sat and tv for antenna. So I don't know if that would help you decide which way to go. In my case the switch comes first then the terk 44 then into the house to the receivers where it is diplexed into sat and tv antenna.

Mike,

Thanks, your reply about the in and out terminals cleared up my confusion. One last thing. I think the T44 was probably designed for the round 300 (18") or round 500 (20") dishes.

The 1000.2 is 19" x 24"...how well did the T44 fit? Did you have to 'stretch' it?

Since the 1000+ is 23.8" x 30.9", I'd assume it probably won't fit.

Mike,

Thanks, your reply about the in and out terminals cleared up my confusion. One last thing. I think the T44 was probably designed for the round 300 (18") or round 500 (20") dishes.

The 1000.2 is 19" x 24"...how well did the T44 fit? Did you have to 'stretch' it?

Since the 1000+ is 23.8" x 30.9", I'd assume it probably won't fit.

I only have the dish 1000.2, but I was able to use the terk over it. I did have to stretch the antenna to make it get the best signal over all of my stations. It is kind of raised up 5 inches in the middle and towards the left of the dish and the sides are kind of bent out to the sides , but I get all my stations. My four broadcast towers are in different directions. My nbc and cbs are 2 degrees from each other about 15 miles away and my Abc is completely in the other direction in town at the actual station 9 miles away. My Fox is not in digital yet. The religious station come in just fine about anywhere I put the terk , since it is close by 5 miles.

The terk 44 is 26.5" in width and the height is 9.5 " and the depth is 3.5 ". It fit just fine on both my dish 1000 I had before and now my dish 1000.2 . Compare it to the terk 42 wich is 21.3' in width and the height is 10.2" and the depth is still 3.5". The terk 44 should work on your dish but you will most likely have to adjust it to get the best signal.

** DO NOT stretch the antenna when it is attached to the dish with the clips on it or they will break and it will render the antenna not useable. Found this out the hard way last week on my parents terk 42 . Hard to make that terk clip on work on a dish 1000.2 since it is 5 inches shorter in width than the terk 44. We now both have terk 44s on our respective dish 1000.2s.

ctjr
user_offline.gif
vbmenu_register("postmenu_809121", true);

Ahh! Thanks a lot!

Any idea what the "going rate" is for having the installer put it in the right place? It's currently up at the antenna on the roof. Which brings up a related matter-- will the Dish installer basically use the same lines that are running from the DirectTV sat I currently have? Seems like that would make things a lot easier.

ctjr, I always try to use DTV masts for my installs. If there is a ground wire attached to the cable coming from the dish (Dual Messenger) it makes it better/easier. We now have a rule that we have to replace any cables that don't have a ground from the dish to the ground block. But yet as you asked, it is better to use the existing mast foor the install as long as there is no obstruction for the Dish Network setup. Hope this helps.
A normal install includes everything to do the job. I believe it is $59.00 an hour if your system is already installed.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts