Diplexing OTA with DishPro

peterd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
This question has been asked, but not yet answered:
(In Scott's review of the 921 in the Dish DVR forum) SpenceJT said:
Scott with all of the DishPro tech along with my planned installation of a DP+44 switch (for stacking the signals for a single cable to the 921), will I stil be able to diplex a signal from my local antenna into the mix?

I will need to do this so I can retain my local DTV/HD channels.

I'd like to know whether any of the installers who've been trained/briefed on DishPro know the answer to this?

Peter,

I was told by the 811 installers that diplexing is a no no with DishPro switches installed. Supposedly the diplexors get burned out.

I cannot verify the accuracy of this statement personally.

Cheers,

John Kotches said:
Peter,

I was told by the 811 installers that diplexing is a no no with DishPro switches installed. Supposedly the diplexors get burned out.

I cannot verify the accuracy of this statement personally.

Cheers,

Diplexers used with DishPro need to be able to handle the high DC current drawn by the LNBFs plus the switch. Some diplexers may not be rated for this. I remember 500 ma as the requirement, but cannot find the reference rught now.

I don't know how the DishProPlus stacks 2 feeds on one cable. It may indeed use the OTA band to do this, in which case a diplex could not be used. But I haven't seen any desciption of how the DishProPlus technology works.

I'm using two pairs of Channel Vision diplexers on my Dishpro setup, one at each end of 25ft runs from my distribution point.

One output diplexer feeds one E* box and the TV set, VCR and my DTV tuner in one room. The other output diplexer feeds my second E* box and two TV sets.

The input diplexers are fed from a DP34 ... one output to the power pass side of each feedline. The non-power pass side is connected to a 900MHz and below distribution amp via a four way splitter. The other two runs from the four way are direct (TV only) to other rooms.

And here's the real trick ... I have a second cable returning from each E* box back to the distribution point. They are mixed using a channel insert box with one broadcasting CH3 and the other on CH4. That is mixed with my UHF rooftop antennas (no VHF in my area) and sent into the TV distribution amp mentioned above.

I get two E* feeds (one for me, one for wife) plus UHF locals on every TV in the house -- plus DTV on the main set.

Too much detail ... but the Diplexers and most everything else has been in place for over 8 months with no problems.

JL