Status
Please reply by conversation.

commodore_dude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Alpharetta, GA
Hey all,
I'm moving into an apartment in a few days that uses DirecPath for TV (although apparently does not offer the internet and voice services also available). I can't find much information about this other than the fact that D* is involved in the venture, and it looks like I can basically order any standard package, they just increase the bill due to "maintenance fees." The problem is, I have been told that my complex only offers "a few" HD channels, and is gradually upgrading their equipment over the next few months. I read this as they don't have the Mpeg-4 compatible dishes and multiswitches installed... is anyone familiar with this company, and how I might go about trying to speed up the process of getting access to all those extra HD channels I've been missing with Comcast?

I can almost bet that unless you provide your own dish and receivers from DirecTV that any MDU or other "partner" deal with them will not likely provide you everything DirecTV customers have.

http://www.direcpath.com/

Last edited:
Yeah, looking at that website it looks like there is the capability to get pretty much anything a regular customer has... the package names listed are out of date, but they're all there, as are all the premium subscriptions. I'm just wondering if anyone knows more about how it works, IE if upgrading that to distribute the new HD channels is much different than if an individual was doing it. I can't get my own dish, my unit faces north with no sort of exclusive use south-facing area, and my understanding of FCC regs is that leaves me out of luck.

I am a customer

And if you don't mind probably getting no HD channels, they're ok if you have no other choice. Still, I am not a fan of their service.

When you call them up, see if they have an MFH-1 or 2 on your property. 1 means you get very, VERY limited HD.

I've had it installed for a little over a week now, the only HD I get is ESPN, ESPN2, HDNet and HD Theater... I guess I'd get UHD and HDNet Movies if I wanted to pay for the HD Extra pack. The DirecPath website has been updated since I ordered so that it promises they're upgrading all of their properties for Mpeg-4, I can't do anything except wait as I have no exclusive use area that faces south. The bigger problem now is that the destacker I was given for my HR-21 makes a terrible high-pitched noise about half of the time, but I guess I have to just deal with that until they upgrade to SWM.

My property has not even been upgraded yet. I'm getting glorified Analog Cable and paying out the nose for it.

Their Customer Service is terrible, as their product.

Before I got into D* installation work, I assisted in a DirecPath installation in a condo. It included the internet, telephone, and direcTV. This might be a bit different than current setup, but its likely the headend did not include the capability to handle all the HD. Unfortunately there is no much you can do about it at this point. I have not heard too much positive feedback regarding DirecPath. From what I was told, DirecPath was built on the "good ol boy" system. They have a great product but its being ran by a bunch of boneheads with cable TV mentality. Just don't forget the alternative ... you could be stuck on cable.

Well my complex was upgraded to MFH-2 last month and I've been very pleased since! Kind of sucks that I was paying the same bill with no Mpeg-4 HD for a couple of months, but it's all good now. The only problem I've had with DirecPath from a customer service standpoint was the first date the installer was supposed to come switch my building to MFH-2, he never showed up and never called, and every time I called DirecPath they assured me he would be showing up. The makeup appointment was kept though, and every other time I've called them with a question the people have been knowledgeable enough to help me out.

So is there any chance DirecPath will let me pay the "access fee" they charge and use the satellite hook-up through my existing DirecTV account? I'm going to call them tomorrow, but y'all know better.. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts