DirecpTV pixilation problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yammy750

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 13, 2006
Pittsburgh
I have a JVC IDLA 52 inch TV! I have DirecTV now and I have to say I am not happy with them, I do have pixilation every now and then. I have had them replace my HD receiver, they replaced my wires and several times a Technician has been out to my house and they could not do anything! I have cut my tree that the dish is near. I do believe it's pretty clear of any branches now, But I still get the pixilation every now and then. I do not get HD locals yet! They say I should get them soon, the Technicians that come out to my house they tell me I need the KAKU Dish installed! But DIRECTV will not put the order in for me! I think everybody over there at DIRECTV needs help! Is anyone else having problems with direct TV??

I want to cancel it, but I dont have anywhere else to go, I am not going back to cable!

I do love my TV!:D

Yeah sounds like you have an oval or multi sat dish and one of the birds (satellites) aren't peeked very well. Get into the menu and find your signal levels, chances are you have a low signal strength. I would call them back and have them do whatever it takes to fix your problem. I have been a DSS tech for over 11 years, sometimes, the RG-6 is plum wore out and won't carry the voltage.Could be anything, but more than likely it isn't the receiver..Be sure you have signal in the 90's, make sure you have good RG-6 coax and connectors are proper. Also make sure your dish is just not flopping in the wind. These would be the things I would address to the next installer who comes into your home. I would say if he attempts everything but changing out the coax, then more than likely it is the coax. Just my two cents.

I have the H20 and 5lnb and get pixalition on fast moving HD contect. Thats because of the frame rate from D*. My SD channels just look bad sometimes.

Hey Satman seems like you know what your talking about, I have the 3 LNB dish and I have had the receiver changed and coax changed. They re-ran 100ft of new coax cable to the H20 HD receiver. The last tech even put in a ground on a block spliter. My signal strength on the H20 is 73-74, the techs on the phone and the techs that come out to my home say the signal strength is good and normal.

I did have Dish Network before and the signal was over 90 and never had a problem with it. The Dish is even in the same place on the pole. They are coming out to replace the dish with a new one. Maybe you can tell me what to tell them to check on. Thanks everyone!

Because of my TV I wanted HD, they were not helping me to upgrade. I called and was lucky enough to get a**holes! They would tell me to leave and come back then you will get a deal. They would not do anything for me, final I decided to switch services. Why not how bad could it be its still satellite? So I switched and when I called back and told dish to cancel me they then wanted me to stay. But I have already got the installation date for direct TV. That is why I switched!

I had the same problem like you, too. Pixellation and Directv sent me a new receiver and had me do all kinds of things. My house was brand new with quad RG-6 so I didn't think that was the problem. I went ahead and ran a new home run myself and it still didn't fix the problem.

After being told they would call me back and the problem has been escalated, I ordered a new dish on EBAY. I just replaced the LNB and now I have no problems. My signal strength is low, but that is because of the H20. It might be worth a try, it seems you have done everything else.

tx_dude

I hope that works for me to, because if it doesn't I will be forced to go back to Dish network. I dont want to switch providers again!

I had a tech guy out again. This time they replaced the Dish and I am still having pixilation, so what do I do now?

emu1 said:
I have the H20 and 5lnb and get pixalition on fast moving HD contect. Thats because of the frame rate from D*. My SD channels just look bad sometimes.
Are you watching this fast moving content on stations that are in 1080I?

It might help,to have a authorized TV tech,come out to your house.He should be
able to help with suggestions,and adjustments,to your system.I did,and their well
worth the money.I just switched from E*,to D*,because Total Choice,was a better
deal,than AT 120,and the picture looks the same to me.I have a 50" Phillips Magna
vox RPTV,and after I had the tech adjust my TV,I don't think I want HD,I already
see enough moles,and bumps on peoples faces,and bodies,the thought of seeing
even more scares me.

yammy750 said:
I had a tech guy out again. This time they replaced the Dish and I am still having pixilation, so what do I do now?

I cant believe all of the Bullsh!t your being fed. You should cancel ASAP and refuse to pay a penalty. Any macroblocking and perhaps pixelation is most likely a result of HDLITE if its not a signal strength issue. HDlite is a combination of over compression, downrezzing and reduced bandwidth. EVERYONE sees it occasionally, some just wont say it. The problem is some of the people giving you advice here are D* dealers and installers on this forum. The worst channels are HDnetmovies and showtimeHD that run at DVD bitrates of below 9.8 mbps. Sometimes around 7 mbps. Whereas a non multicasting OTA HD signal runs at 19 mbps. Take a look at the average bitrates here: http://www.widemovies.com/dfwbitrate.html
Your best bet is DISH network at this point in time. I would advise you to PM Sean Mota, one of the moderators.

Last edited:
emu1 said:
Its not the framerate. Its overcompression and reduced bandwidth. The picture would hold together just fine at a higher bitrate.

It would also hold together just fine at a higher frame rate. 30 frames a second is not enough for fast moving images to keep up with. Slow moving object on my 65" screen look amazingly good. Something moves fast across my screen and its pretty bad.

Also someone earlier asked why we have D*. I switched because for my area, HD locals go live in April where as with E*, they are not even scheduled this year. Who at first glance wouldn't switch providers to get their locals in HD when you can't get them OTA. But now that I have it in my house, I have to admit that E* picture quality is 10x better. I have a 65" HDTV and D*'s service is just not what it should be. I don't want to sound like I hate D*. They have their advantages of E* as well, but when it comes to picture quality, they have fallen behind.

I have a D* installation scheduled today, so I can't comment on their PQ yet. However, I have had E* in the past. About 3 years ago when I first bought my big 55" RPTV (standard definition) I thought E* was superb PQ; however, I ended up cancelling because customer service sucked and I was tired of their BS on moving charges, receiver upgrades, etc.

Fast forward to Jan '06. I decided to try E* again as I'm tired of the analog cable signal which is about 70% of the channels I watch. I give them a try, and get it installed just a few days before the big Rose Bowl football game between USC & Texas. I am hyped and ready for a great picture, and then comes my worst nightmare. My PQ resembled that off a computer video that you enlarge too big and it looks blurred and blotchy. It was so bad that when the ball was thrown I could not track it in the air. I tried the reception on my bedroom TV (27") and while it was better because of the smaller picture, it was still very present.

After several calls to customer service and numerous repair techs to my house, I was finally able to cancel my contract w/ no penalty after the fight of my life. I was already pissed because of the bad PQ but because the way E* handled my request to cancel because of THEIR quality I will never use them again. I will go back to cable first, which is where I'm at now until my D* installer arrives.

Personally I just don't think there is a *great* cable/satellite provider out there yet. People need/want so much more, and while each provider seems to offer a slice of the pie to their customers I don't see any that offer the whole pie. It's probably a matter of picking the less of evils. I don't have HD yet, so I don't have to fight that battle, but when I do upgrade I plan to use OTA reception. And then when HD is a standard vs. bastard child as it is now I will upgrade my equipment or switch providers at that point. Honestly I don't see it happening for a few years.

logixrat said:
Personally I just don't think there is a *great* cable/satellite provider out there yet.
There was. It went out of business though. Perhaps Verizon FIOS will be the next one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)