Direct Tv , Att Satellites, and general BS help !

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This all great info thanks so much, I remember in the 80's and early 90's in my area there were so many independent installers in my area , back when dishes were massive. This experience and the resulting research I discovered all those shops long gone. As far as the new guy I called today My way of thinking is this if he puts the dish exactly where it was before not accessible without leaving the ladder it will work as it did before. Had I never canceled the service in 2014 I am sure it would still be up there working just fine.

If your roof isn't that steep and you are fairly off the grid in the middle of nowhere it just takes the right guy that's willing to break the rules. I'd be lieng if I told you I have no techs under me that have never been off a ladder onto a roof. But you have some guys that are 100% by the book. And I can't and won't force anyone to do something they are not permitted to do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Reactions: AZ.
Get Dishpointer or another phone app. They will show you through the camera lens where the birds are. A picture IS worth a thousand words. Maybe your locals are out on the 119 which would require a wider window. You can do without the 119. I think just SD Locals and some Sonic stuff reside there. I use an SL3 in an SL5 area and haven't noticed anything I want missing yet. An SL3 needs only 4 degrees of arc to peak through. An app will clearly show alternate locations or needed tree trimming.

At the end of the day, realize that getting the actual dish installed is a completely different experience from having the DirecTV service and Genie devices in-house. While your mileage has certainly varied on install, the end result should be pretty darn good.

Though I will say, after having called in for a combined bill issue, I was also told that DirecTV Now -- one of three tiers of alleged streaming services -- is due out by Q4 2016. It'll be interesting to find out all the details of that, especially considering that we are a predominantly DVR- and iPad-watching family.

If they won't go on the roof to install, does that mean that they will do pole mount for free now? The last time I participated in a DirecTV install, they wanted to charge my folks $20 for a pole mount install. In the end, the ground was too full of rocks to do a pole mount anyway, but it annoyed me that they wanted to charge for it.

If they won't go on the roof to install, does that mean that they will do pole mount for free now? The last time I participated in a DirecTV install, they wanted to charge my folks $20 for a pole mount install. In the end, the ground was too full of rocks to do a pole mount anyway, but it annoyed me that they wanted to charge for it.
They still put them on the roofs but only within reach from the ladder.

the custom fee varies per HSP or retailer. Most HSPs do them for free now, but the official ruling is still 75 if it is a request of the customer, free if it is needed for LOS. In the event of a metal roof, it is chargable if LOS could have been obtained from an edge. In the event of the tech not getting off the ladder, you officially have NLOS from your roof so it would be free assuming of course you have LOS from the ground.

Removing an antenna off a shingled roof isn't difficult. The mount is held in place with lag screws. Once these and the mount are removed, there will be holes. These can be filled with a plastic tar to prevent water penetration. The plastic tar is available at hardware stores in quart containers. It can be applied with a putty knife.
Alternatively, you could use silicon sealant. Just make certain it is UV resistant.

Removing an antenna off a shingled roof isn't difficult. The mount is held in place with lag screws. Once these and the mount are removed, there will be holes. These can be filled with a plastic tar to prevent water penetration. The plastic tar is available at hardware stores in quart containers. It can be applied with a putty knife.
Alternatively, you could use silicon sealant. Just make certain it is UV resistant.
You are better off either leaving the mount on the roof and just removing the mast, or replacing the shingles that have holes in them. Any sealant you use can fail.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)