Direct TV Auto Ant & Rcvr recommendations for RV'ing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chopaka81

Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
NW Washington State
Hello,
My wife and I are looking for a simple to setup automatic antenna and receiver. As we travel in our 5th wheel. There are a bunch of antenna and receivers out there, all claiming they are the best.
We want a pod style antenna.
We're trying to keep this under $700 for the auto antenna and receiver.
Any links to recommended packages would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Don

Not sure about DirecTV, but Dish has a variety of automatic portable antennas to home in on satellites. I know that some older RV antennas worked best with DTV. Not so sure about today.

Look at Winegard, regardless of which provider.

Take a look at the King Quest. Very nice unit. Keep in mind that, unlike DISH, with Directv, you will not be able to get HD programming using a portable automatic dish, regardless of brand or model.

Take a look at the King Quest. Very nice unit. Keep in mind that, unlike DISH, with Directv, you will not be able to get HD programming using a portable automatic dish, regardless of brand or model.
Yes the King Quest is nice and does SD only .... that's what I've been looking at.

As for not being able to get HD, that's not true, but it cost a lot more, they do have an automatic unit out there that does HD for like $1500 or there about.

You can find both in your Camping World magazine.

We solved our need today by switching to Dish Network and going with a monthly pay as you go RV plan. We purchased a ViP211z and a Winegard PATHFINDER X2 antenna bundled package from our local Camping World store. I asked if they would match the online price and they said most certainly.
Thank you to all for the advise, I hope to meet some of you while traveling the NW.
Sincerely, Don

Reactions: goaliebob99
Yes the King Quest is nice and does SD only .... that's what I've been looking at.

As for not being able to get HD, that's not true, but it cost a lot more, they do have an automatic unit out there that does HD for like $1500 or there about.

You can find both in your Camping World magazine.

Directv in HD using a portable automatic unit? Which brand and model? I and my customers would be very interested in such a unit.

If you decide HD is a must, the Winegard traveler is highly rated. http://www.winegard.com/travler
Yes, this is the one I was talking about.
I think it's a Winegard Traveler SK3.

http://www.campingworld.com/shoppin...ne-automatic-multi-satellite-tv-antenna/68944

Don't see where a dome was necessary ?

This unit folds its self down when not in use.
Very nice, just with is wasn't so damn expensive, no reason it needs to be.
If it was under $1000, I would have went that way a long time ago.

I think he's talking about the traveler but I am not aware of any domed units unless you put a dome over the traveler. Not sure if that would work or not.

The Trav'ler is at the top of the heap IMO. It in no way is a "portable" unit though which I believe the op was interested in info on. Long story short, no HD programming from a portable automatic unit with Directv.

The Trav'ler is at the top of the heap IMO. It in no way is a "portable" unit though which I believe the op was interested in info on. Long story short, no HD programming from a portable automatic unit with Directv.
30", sit it on the picnic table, pick it up when done with, very portable.

30", sit it on the picnic table, pick it up when done with, very portable.

C'mon Jimbo, I don't know if you're serious or not but we all know that the Trav'ler isn't marketed or sold as a portable RV dish. I've installed several of them and at close to 75 lbs., I sure wouldn't want to haul that beast anywhere but to the roof of an RV for installation. To each his own though I guess.

C'mon Jimbo, I don't know if you're serious or not but we all know that the Trav'ler isn't marketed or sold as a portable RV dish. I've installed several of them and at close to 75 lbs., I sure wouldn't want to haul that beast anywhere but to the roof of an RV for installation. To each his own though I guess.
Didn't know it was 75 lbs.
I would have got one years ago had it not been so expensive and used it just as I described.

I see No Reason why they can't make a unit that does the same thing at a much cheaper cost.
Half that would be acceptable. Portable would be preferred.

Reactions: Ziptied
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts