directories saved to and duplicate files

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nitetripper

Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
nc
I am currently recording to a directory on a hdd that is becoming too small. If move this partition to another hdd, will I then begin to record duplicate files?
Thanx!!
Jim

Unless you move all of the files to the new directory TimeTrax will re-record anything it comes across. It won't know that there's a duplicate file in another location. It has to be able to see what's been recorded in the same location to make a duplicate decision.

OK,erhaps the better way to ask the question is this, if I COPY the partition to another drive and then select that drive as my save location will it duplicate? Does the program check the files or the log?

As I was saying, it checks files. If the files are not in the same place as current recordings it will assume that there is no duplicate and re-record it. The 'log' is just a temporary reference for you. You can look at it and clear it. The software looks at the directory in which it's recording and makes a determination if a file is already there.

This is the process I use. It might help you too.

1. Make a COPY of ALL the files in your recording subdir. Save them to another subdir.

2. Using NOTEPAD create a plain text file with ONE line in it, as follows:

for %%v in (*.mp3) do echo Dummy > %%v

3. Then, save it as CLEANIT.bat (or whatever you want to call it) in your C:\Windows subdir so it'll be in your path.

4. Goto START > RUN. Type cmd and click OKay.

5. Type CD\subdir and hit ENTER.

Note: subdir = name of temp folder you created above and copied files to.

6. Type cleanit and hit ENTER.

7. Type exit and hit ENTER.

You will have a directory that has ALL the files you have recorded, but instead of taking up massive amounts of megabytes, each file will only be 1kb in size.

Create your new RECORD subdirectory where you want Timetrax to start recording music and copy those 1kb files over there and this will prevent TT from re-recording them. The ONLY downside is that XM sometimes plays with the names of the files and at other times TT doesn't match the song so there might be duplicates; one with the artist - title - album.mp3 and the other with a truncated artist - song.mp3 but you should be able to make a match visually and can delete the dups.

Once you have a batch of new songs, sort the files by SIZE. Copy the BIG ones to a working directory and then use the BATCH file to convert the BIG files to the 1kb size to block re-recording.

Warning. Always remember to COPY the files to another directory as there is no recovery if you zap them. All you could do is delete the zapped files and let TT record them again when they are played.

Cheers,
Tony

Keep in mind that he's stated the question two different ways. In his first post he asked if he copies his recorded files to another hard drive and uses the original location will he begin recording duplicates. In his second attempt he asked if he copies the files to another hard drive and then uses that hard drive for storage will he record duplicates.

I don't think he's indicating he has a storage issue with the new hard drive. He just wants to know if he changed location of the saved files will he begin recording duplicates. (Hence, his question if it checks the recording log for location or uses the files themselves to determine duplicates.)

Thanx!!

Thank you for the responce, I successfully copied the directory to another hdd and am not recording dups. Again thanks for the help
Jim

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts