Directtv Or Dish Network For 10 Tvs

Wapa

Original poster
May 27, 2014
We're building a new house out in the country, so satellite is our only option. There are actually 3 structures. There's an old cabin which already has Dish. I also have an extra Dish dish and receiver I used for tailgating.

The new house is actually 2 different structures connected by cat5/coax.

The main house will have 6 TVs, the bunk house will have 3, and the old cabin will keep it's one.

AFAIK, I'll need 2 dishes and 10 receivers for this setup. To keep my tailgating setup, make that 3 dishes and 11 receivers.

I've called both Dish and DirectTV asking specific questions, but the people in the call centers seem less knowledgeable than I feel after 15 minutes of Google-ing. I'd prefer to hear from actual installers if possible.

I have talked to a local DirectTV installer and got some better answers, but want to see what Dish has to offer for this setup.

In short DirectTV would have us with 3 dishes, 1 Genie, 8 Genie minis and 2 non-Genie receivers (for cabin/tailgating).

DirectTV covers the install and hardware for a 4 TV setup, so anything else is extra setup cost.

As I already have a 2 Dish dishes/receivers, in theory the setup cost will be less with Dish. But it's not clear how I could even run this setup with Dish. I read that you could have 2 hoppers and 6 Joeys, but that's only 8 TVs. I guess I could get one more regular receiver and then one TV in the new house(s) would not have DVR access. We could live with that.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would bet DIRECTV is the only solution for this situation. Unless all 10 TVs are in the same house Dish's audit team would not be happy.

With Directv you can use a SWM-16 multiswitch,which will allow you up to 16 tuners(broken down into 2 8 tuner ports). The breakdown for 10 TV's can go 1 Genie(HR44) for 5 tuners,1 HD DVR(HR24),& 1 HD Receiver(H24 or H25) to add up to 8 tuners for 1 port(for connection to 3 TV's). For the second port you can either 3 HD DVR's(HR24) & 2 HD Receivers(H24 or H25) for a total of 5 TV's,or 4 HD DVR's(HR24) for a total of 4 TV's. That will give you a total of 7-8 TV's covered. You can round out the final 2-3 TV's with Genie Clients(C41) or Wireless Genie Clients(C41W). If you end up only getting one HD Receiver instead of three,you can use it for your Cabin/tailgating. This way,you'll only need 2 satellite dishes,one to control the three structures(if possible) & one for tailgating.

Dish would have no problem with this install. I've been on 12+ Tv installs with a Dish system. 2 Hoppers + 6 Joey's would be a good starting point. Then run a 2nd dish with another Hopper + 2 Joey system (or Hopper + Joey + Super Joey if you want more tuners on the 2nd system...) If you don't want/need all that DVR capability, you could run as may HD boxes as you want and we can just expand the system with powered switches till you ran out of TV's. It will take some special dispensation to get a 10 TV system approved, only because that is potentially a bunch of data, but that's about the only challenge. If you want to keep using the receivers you already have, set up your 2nd Dish with the regular receivers and you could use the ones you already own... I'm all about saving $$. I've set up a system using HD systems + hoppers and joeys, ... now that would be a fun install, I won't bore you with the details, but it is possible.

One problem you COULD have with Dish is having the receivers/dvrs in separate buildings. With that many units you could get a call from the audit department. If you don't give them the id numbers in a timely fashion they can and will shut your service down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)