Directtv with out contract?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kb Cool

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Mesa, AZ
Is their any way to sign up to directtv without commiting to a 18 month aggrement. Like, can you purchase your own equipment do your own install?
This is the way I did it with E* a few yrs. ago and never had to commit to anything. I also noticed on ebay that direct Hd receivers sell for cheap.

DirectTV H20 HD Receiver HDMI H20 Warranty available!! - (eBay item 320182456875 end time Nov-23-07 18:01:03 PST)

Am i missing something or can these receivers not be authorized by a new customer? And is this h20 receiver above the latest non-dvr hd version that will get the new mpeg 4 channels?
Thanks

Is their any way to sign up to directtv without commiting to a 18 month aggrement. Like, can you purchase your own equipment do your own install?
This is the way I did it with E* a few yrs. ago and never had to commit to anything. I also noticed on ebay that direct Hd receivers sell for cheap.

DirectTV H20 HD Receiver HDMI H20 Warranty available!! - (eBay item 320182456875 end time Nov-23-07 18:01:03 PST)

Am i missing something or can these receivers not be authorized by a new customer? And is this h20 receiver above the latest non-dvr hd version that will get the new mpeg 4 channels?
Thanks

The ebay auction is for a lease, not to own. The boxes cost quite a bit more than $66. Activating an hd receiver requires a two year commitment.

So what you are saying is. In order to watch DirectvHD you have to sign a 2 yr. commitment?
Regardless if the receiver is a paid for up front? And what is the normal price for an H20/21 receiver no lease?
Thanks

So what you are saying is. In order to watch DirectvHD you have to sign a 2 yr. commitment?
Regardless if the receiver is a paid for up front? And what is the normal price for an H20/21 receiver no lease?
Thanks
As long as the ebay box was not from a authorized D* dealer and you can get it activated you would not have to agree a 2yr contract.

I was told a few months back that if you have your own equipment which you own that there is no committment, but you don't get the nice "new customer" deals. You would only get regular pricing on all programming. Then again, what does CS really know, right?

As long as the ebay box was not from a authorized D* dealer and you can get it activated you would not have to agree a 2yr contract.
but you more than likely wouldnt get it active.

to the OP, it MIGHT be possible, but VERY VERY unlikely. I wouldnt waste my time trying

Thanks
For the HR-20/21 the buy to own price would be more than you would pay if you were in a contract and wanted to cancel. And honestly im not even sure if they will LET you buy them anymore

Is their any way to sign up to directtv without commiting to a 18 month aggrement.
If you sign up with DIRECTV for standard equipment, the commitment is 12 months. If you have "advanced" (HD, DVR) equipment, it is 24 months. You cannot get around it.

E* allows "never before" customers to buy their way out of their 18 month commitment by forfeiting the $49.99 setup fee.

So in other words if I go with Directtv now and in the future E* launches thier new sats and over takes DirectTV again by offering more HD and better PQ. I'll be stuck with DirectTV because of a 2yr contract.:D

hey kbg, Go to the website and read all the fine print, neither of these sat tv services is going to
'allow' you to line their pockets without a contract, if they can't get at least X dollars out of you-they do not want you any more. They've both got enough customers now they can pretty much dictate terms, and complain once in a while about 'customer churn' .
They've forgotten who made them rich.

So in other words if I go with Directtv now and in the future E* launches thier new sats and over takes DirectTV again by offering more HD and better PQ. I'll be stuck with DirectTV because of a 2yr contract.:D

Thats the reason they have a commitment.

IF Directv will sell you the equipment outright, the cost will be higher than the "lease upgrade" fee plus the maximum cancellation charge.

Who said anything about buying the equipment from DirecTV. We all know they would be charging MSRP and wind up being the most expensive.

Thats the reason they have a commitment.

Are you sure? I think its more like they want to recoup the cost of the install and equipment they provided you free of charge. If directTV thinking is different then F@K em'. I'll stick with DISHHD alacarte and 4DTV.:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)