DIRECTV: 100 HDTV Channels In 2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The whole concept of fanboys is pretty strange. These are just TV service providers. Why would anybody get emotionally attached to one?

Don't feel that I am emotionaly attached. I have just been pretty happy with the service thus far and it has been quite awhile. I love my NFL ST, that is really why I got D* to begin with (that and of course I hate the Cable Cos here). I do wish that the PQ was improved but I can see why there would be serious bandwidth issues. I like the plan, liked it from the beginning. Locals then launch sats then more HD hopefully with enough whatever it is they need to not compress them. Seems to me their approach is right on and I guess I have patience. The only other aspect that I can comment on is that I kept hearing the HDLite talk and it use to really bother me so I read everyones posts and went and checked out E*. Took my projector to a E* enthusiasts house and just didn't see the difference everyone talks about. So for me, avid sports guy, MLB NBA and NFL season passes D* was and is the obvious choice. Some just don't get that.
The bashers that would for example jump all over D* for the announcement the other day for additional HD programming like Sci-Fi etc...were all over them saying they were blowing smoke because someone at Sci-Fi told them they don't have HD plans. Then of course a day later, oh whats this, they just weren't making it up? The arrogance of anyone stating that they were is amazing. I like the plan and I do believe that they are on track to literally blow the competition away, at least for a time period until the others catch up which they probably will. I never bash E*, just don't really understand why some would bash D*. There are choices.

The bashers that would for example jump all over D* for the announcement the other day for additional HD programming like Sci-Fi etc...were all over them saying they were blowing smoke because someone at Sci-Fi told them they don't have HD plans. Then of course a day later, oh whats this, they just weren't making it up? The arrogance of anyone stating that they were is amazing. ...
Like I said in another thread, I don't have any problem giving credit to D* for nudging more networks into the HD realm. D* will probably get them first, and E* will catch up. Win - win. A rising tide lifts all the boats.

Who are the SMART people, you? With SW1 & SW2, they have all the MPEG4 capacity they need for these channels today smart guy. I based my comments off that and the CES spokesperson remark about consumers TV's not being able to display the quality DirecTV offers today. What was your "smarter" comment based upon? The fact the D* does broadcast HDlite?

They have enough bandwidth on SW1 and 2 for the hd lil channels that they will eventually have. Apparently they are not willing to use it for other purposes, especially since D10 and 11 will be (should be) up shortly, where there will be plenty of bw for their new hd channels. Since they will all be in mpeg4, there will be even more capacity than if they were mpeg2. As far as the comments of the D* spokeperson (I hate that term, too pc for me!), I think it was very stupid. It is insulting to those who know that the current hd channnels don't look as good as they can. On that we can agree, but there is no reason to think the new hd channels won't be in full resolution. If they are not, I will be the first one to criticize D* for it.

They have enough bandwidth on SW1 and 2 for the hd lil channels that they will eventually have. Apparently they are not willing to use it for other purposes, especially since D10 and 11 will be (should be) up shortly, where there will be plenty of bw for their new hd channels. Since they will all be in mpeg4, there will be even more capacity than if they were mpeg2. As far as the comments of the D* spokeperson (I hate that term, too pc for me!), I think it was very stupid. It is insulting to those who know that the current hd channnels don't look as good as they can. On that we can agree, but there is no reason to think the new hd channels won't be in full resolution. If they are not, I will be the first one to criticize D* for it.

I agree. The denial is really not helping themselves. They really could have hit a home run by admitting they are not the highest quality and they promise to not only bring dozens of new channels, but release them at higher quality then current. I think the new ones will also be in MPEG4 and of good quality. The HD LIL's look good as long as they dont have the 8mm issues. So like all the other anouncements, its wait and see. I still have some faith but they got 2007 to prove it. I really hope they do.

Like I said in another thread, I don't have any problem giving credit to D* for nudging more networks into the HD realm. D* will probably get them first, and E* will catch up. Win - win. A rising tide lifts all the boats.

The whole answer to any HD expansion is going to be bandwidth. With D*s two new satellites it will allow them to add additional HD, I think E* also has a new bird to be launched in July which will give them some expansion. Cable is the one that is very limited on any additional bandwidth. Most of the systems today are maxed out or close to being out of bandwidth. If D* & E* were to get together and share some satellites that would be the ultimate answer to satellite bandwidth. But that would be a big expense, requiring new dishes for everyone and changing all receivers to either D* or E* encryption format.

As far as cable systems, with their limited bandwidth, a solution to their problem would be transmit one single HD signal for each channel (Instead of one SD & one HD, then use cable boxes to resize and or down convert it for 4 x 3 and non-HD TVs.

The real problem is consumers. We are the minority and they know it! I saw a report on CNN (IIRC) earlier this week that stated most HDTV owners do not know once they have an HDTV that they need an HDTV programming provider, it was in the the 80th percentile!

As far as SW1&2 and HDLIL, this was just a plain misappropriation of resources. If I was Chase Carey, someone would have been fired over this. My first move would have been to secure carriage of the current HD lineup (including the El crappo VoOm networks), blast all these channels at full bandwidth and resolution ... THEN add HDLIL. Just Think of the numbers, I believe, and could be wrong, that the top ten DMA's are 55% of all TV viewers. AKA "The greater good." Then they still had room to decompress the SD lineup, which was not done.

So please excuse me for being pessimistic in regard to the statements from DirecTV

The real problem is consumers. We are the minority and they know it! I saw a report on CNN (IIRC) earlier this week that stated most HDTV owners do not know once they have an HDTV that they need an HDTV programming provider, it was in the the 80th percentile!
How true that statement is. One of my neighbors bought a new HDTV for Christmas and was wanting me to come over to see it. He was shocked when I told him he had a nice TV but his picture was not HD. He was feeding it with a grainy analog cable signal. It looked horrible. I came back to my house and took a old pair of rabbit ears over and hooked them to his antenna input. When one of the local digital signals appeared, using the built in tuner, he was floored by the difference. I brought him over to my house and showed him Discovery and HDNet, we then went to BB and he bought a D* HD receiver.

As far as SW1&2 and HDLIL, this was just a plain misappropriation of resources. If I was Chase Carey, someone would have been fired over this. My first move would have been to secure carriage of the current HD lineup (including the El crappo VoOm networks), blast all these channels at full bandwidth and resolution ... THEN add HDLIL. Just Think of the numbers, I believe, and could be wrong, that the top ten DMA's are 55% of all TV viewers. AKA "The greater good." Then they still had room to decompress the SD lineup, which was not done.
I have to agree with you, because D* gives us 4 digital locals and my OTA receives around 30 channels. But for those who live in apartments or condos and OTA antennas are out of the question and they are to far away to use indoor antennas, they would not agree with us. I feel it would have been a better selling point for them to add nationals first, but just my opinion. One national channel has a potential to reach 100% of the viewers and one local reaches a handful of viewers, and they both take up the same bandwidth.

The whole answer to any HD expansion is going to be bandwidth. With D*s two new satellites it will allow them to add additional HD, I think E* also has a new bird to be launched in July which will give them some expansion. Cable is the one that is very limited on any additional bandwidth. Most of the systems today are maxed out or close to being out of bandwidth. If D* & E* were to get together and share some satellites that would be the ultimate answer to satellite bandwidth. But that would be a big expense, requiring new dishes for everyone and changing all receivers to either D* or E* encryption format.

As far as cable systems, with their limited bandwidth, a solution to their problem would be transmit one single HD signal for each channel (Instead of one SD & one HD, then use cable boxes to resize and or down convert it for 4 x 3 and non-HD TVs.

Echostar11 is the ONLY new sat for DISH this year - it is a BACKUP for existing sats - NO NEW CAPACITY.

So please excuse me for being pessimistic in regard to the statements from DirecTV

I don't agree, the HD rollout plan actually makes a LOT of sense. First, it requires subs to get NEW dishes, and new IRDS, and is a new frequency (Ka) and new compression. Lots of NEW items.

There is NO way they could have launched nationals and started a NATIONWIDE rollout for ALL of the new items needed, it HAD to be done in market segments - just to try and manage the supply and demand - and training of installers (and even in segments it has had its issues hasn't it?).

Imagine, last December if they opened HD-MPEG4 nationwide. First, every installation company would have had to had simultaneous training, and enough available equipment and hardware. Second, they were in no position to accept that high a deluge of orders and installations from the entire country all at once, it would have been a horrible debacle, and the words in forums like this would have been much harsher - FOR SURE. Geez I can hear them now!!!

Its nice to want everything today, but please take a moment and tell me how you could have rolled this out SEAMLESSLY NATIONWIDE. If you don't think the logistics of how to get the most 5lnb dishes installed and the most MPEG4 hardware out in subs hands PRIOR to national channels being lit - then you would just have to be very naive - IMO.

You mean like when Ford or GM rolls out a new car with a brand new engine that requires every dealer in the country to be trained all at once and have all new parts and tool? You mean like that they can't do that?

Echostar11 is the ONLY new sat for DISH this year - it is a BACKUP for existing sats - NO NEW CAPACITY.
This year (2007), you're probably right, but there's CEIL-2 in early 2008, and there are a lot more sats on order for E*, either as owner or lease holder. Not to mention 118.7, which is getting a lot of cities up with HD-LIL now.

...In addition to ordering its own satellites, EchoStar has agreed to lease all the capacity on several spacecraft owned by satellite-fleet operator SES Americom of Princeton, N.J., and another large spacecraft being built by Canadian operator Ciel Satellite Communications. In total, the company has on order 8 to 9 satellites. ...

See the entire article: http://www.space.com/spacenews/archive06/Echo_032006.html

You mean like when Ford or GM rolls out a new car with a brand new engine that requires every dealer in the country to be trained all at once and have all new parts and tool? You mean like that they can't do that?

Think about it. It's not in any way a good analogy. The 'network' of DBS installers is in NO WAY similar to the network of Authorized Car Dealers. Automobile Companies have many facilities/trainers that work nationally/regionally/locally with the service departments. There is no similar infrastructure within D* or E* for that matter. I mean it sounds good, but it ain't there.

But in all honesty, I believe they are rolling this out in a well-thought out (based on their limitations) plan - and as with all similar type of plans there are glitches.

Ok, then maybe when Apple drops a new Mac out there for all it's retailers? How about when a new cell phone is released? You get my point. Lots of other companies release hardware all the time, all at once, with no problems. Saying D* isn't able to do it is an excuse.

Even saying that the techs would be overworked isn't right. When an area gets LiL released to them, those techs get hammered with new requests then, so what's the difference?

That is an absurd analogy. Every driver does not buy a new car at-once. And each dealership does not train every technician on every new car simultaneously; only a couple of guys/dealership might get trained immediately, and those are the guys who service the newest cars until the others are trained.

ScoBuck is again completely on-the-money.

As far as SW1&2 and HDLIL, this was just a plain misappropriation of resources. If I was Chase Carey, someone would have been fired over this.

You obviously don't understand the history here.

SW1&2 were originaly slated for high speed Internet. It has spot beams only, not CONUS beams.
When News Corp got these sats they canned the Internet idea and reconfigured them for HD for DirecTV. But being spot beam only sats they couldn't use them effectively for national channels (they'd have to use several spot beams and a lot of power to cover the whole country, a waste). That's when they came up with the HD LIL massive rollout. Best use of resources available to them with SW1&2.

Now with DirecTV 10 and 11 going up this year, they are fully CONUS capable satellites built specifically for DBS. So now with these new sats they can effectively do national HD.

Understand now?

Comcast in SJ gives me the following HD (in what appears to be full HD-rez):
ESPNHD
ESPN2HD
DISCHD
InHD
TNTHD
UHD
MHD
FSBAHD (RSN)
NFLHD
HBOHD
SHOHD
MAXHD
STZHD
KTVUHD-FOX
KNTVHD-NBC
KRONHD-IND
KPIXHD-CBS
KGOHD-ABC
KQEDHD-PBS (plus the 4 DT subchannels)

It seems they are adding the new VersusHD/GolfHD joint channel on Jan 18th, as well. (My prediction of add'l HD channels due to the recent dropping of some PPV was correct.) Seems like a big yawn to me, other than Hockey. But, it is more HD content not available on either DBS, as of now. So, it's worth mentioning. And, for lovers of Golf and/or Fishing, the term "HD Leader" may not include DBS at all.

You know, in 5 years, probably less, everything will be HD, HD will be the normal, so what are they going to do, charge more if you want to watch things in SD ?

Point is, everything will be broadcast in HD, it will be the norm, and everyone will carry it and they will have to firgure out a new way to rip us off for HD packages that become the normal standard. All the providers will carry them, it just make a buck from everyone until that time.

Don't feel that I am emotionaly attached. ...I never bash E*, just don't really understand why some would bash D*. There are choices.
Just the fact that there are fanboys and bashers is what is weird. It's not just here. I see people get that way with FTA receiver brands, Cell phone brands, and other inanimate objects or companies. It's childish and foolish. These are things. And, in the case of TV service providers, just utility companies with both good and bad points for each one. None are perfect.

To latch on to one's TV service provider is ludicrous. It's like buying milk. You buy whichever one is on sale. But, if it is important to you to drink organic milk, you choose that one. If there are more than one brand of organic, you buy the cheapest organic. If one brand is often sour, you don't buy that brand, no matter how cheap.

Imagine how stupid it would sound to see someone bashing Berkeley Farms because Clover Farms kicks ass! Well, that's what these forums look like most of the time. It's ridiculous.

Ok, then maybe when Apple drops a new Mac out there for all it's retailers? How about when a new cell phone is released? You get my point. Lots of other companies release hardware all the time, all at once, with no problems. Saying D* isn't able to do it is an excuse.

Even saying that the techs would be overworked isn't right. When an area gets LiL released to them, those techs get hammered with new requests then, so what's the difference?

Man - give it up. If you're gonna make a comparison make it a good one will you? Apple/Cell Phone Companies/most Hardware Companies don't have to come to 15 MILLION HOMES ONE AT A TIME TO SET THINGS UP.

What is obvious, you have a problem with D* (and your entitled), but its clogging the thought process IMO.

I can see someone needs to read the previous email about attachment.

I don't have a problem with D* except them saying stuff that they don't follow through on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dish roof install - winter?

DirecTV Drops $1M on HD Equipment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts