Status
Please reply by conversation.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.tvpredictions.com/directvhd010807.htm

The satcaster says it has carriage agreements with 60 channels.
By Phillip Swann

CES (January 8, 2007) -- DIRECTV says it plans to offer 100 High-Definition TV channels in 2007 -- and it has already secured carriage agreements with 60, including CNN and The Sci-Fi Channel.

The high-def expansion is expected to take place in mid-year when the satcaster's two new satellites are operational.

DIRECTV says the new HD channels will include high-def versions of several well-known networks, including those owned by NBC Universal and Time Warner's Turner Networks.

CNN's Paula Zahn will soon be in high-def.

The HDTV additions will include: The Sci-Fi Channel, CNN, The Weather Channel, The Food Network, The Cartoon Network, Speed, FX, TBS, USA Network, the NFL Network, the YES Sports Network and all premium movie networks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

TVPredictions.com has learned that DIRECTV officials have been meeting with numerous cable networks over the last few months to arrange the high-def agreements.

"Where the world is going is into HD. None of the wireless products is going to bring you 100 channels of HD," Eric Shanks, executive vice president of entertainment for DIRECTV, told Reuters.

David Hill, DIRECTV's president of entertainment, told TVPredictions.com late last year that the satcaster would have at least 40 national high-def networks in mid-year.

There goes Dish Network's lead in HD. They might want to try to get that "merge satellite bandwidth" done real quick as it would take them too long to get those other satellites built and launched. They will have already lost a lot of the customers if they have to wait that long. This would benefit Dish Network more than Directv.

I wonder how much Directv plans to charge for these channels since they plan on having all premiums in HD and many basic channels also in HD.

Till these channels actually "exist" and d* has satellites in the "air" e* will be the leader

Charlie and Echo Star will be eating dirt and seeing big, bright tail lights if he doesn't match this latest broadside from DirecTV!

I still don't see 100 network HD channels firing up in one year alone.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Till these channels actually "exist" and d* has satellites in the "air" e* will be the leader

Obviously!

But.......... since the sats are contracted and almost completed, and the launch arrangements are complete - first one in less than 90 days, it seems pretty safe to say that E's leadership days are NUMBERED.

As they ALREADY have a commanding advantage in providing HD lils, once they get the first of the new birds lit, its open season to capture all of the E* HD lovers IMO.

Obviously!

But.......... since the sats are contracted and almost completed, and the launch arrangements are complete - first one in less than 90 days, it seems pretty safe to say that E's leadership days are NUMBERED.

As they ALREADY have a commanding advantage in providing HD lils, once they get the first of the new birds lit, its open season to capture all of the E* HD lovers IMO.
I'm quite sure E* has a few cards up their sleeves

I Want my MSG....

I just want what was promised last August, specifically having MSG and FSNY in HD (which was suppose to happen, per public press release in Oct 2006

As voiced by others, I will believe it when I see it. And December 31st 2007 and including locals and Sunday Ticket doesnt count.

It appears that D has posted an official announcement on their website.If you go to D's website,click on the investor relations link at the upper right hand side of their homepage,then look to the lower right side of that page for recent news,their latest press release in regards to this matter should be posted.I am like others on this site,I will believe it when I see it happen.

Last edited:
I know tomorrow at 6pm or so EST they are having a presentation, which will be simulcasted online. Hopefully more details will be forthcoming in that presentation, we shall see.

I think it was the first commercial break of the second quarter of the BCS game (that huge break for O-State was just too much time off) a HD D* commercial came on. They advertised up to 150 HD Nationals coming in '07 when both the new birds get up.

As others have noted, seeing is believing.

p.s. Does anybody know what happened to avsforum?

One hundred new HD channels? This from the company who robbed Peter to pay Paul for NFL Sunday Ticket? No way! Directv is just blowing smoke up our backside again.:tux:

What a foolish post. They admit to a current situation where they don't have capacity (geeez, honesty) and yes its not a good situation. But it is what it is!

But that IN NO WAY takes away from some truths and FACTS. 2 sats are going up (the first in less than 90 days). Once its up and lit, the REASON for having to "rob Peter to pay Paul" is gone forever. You can be the doubting Thomas if you choose, but those birds are designed, ordered, almost 100% built, and have launch dates - so guess what?

By the end of this year, the CLEAR leader in HD will be DirecTV. In fact by summer, they will have more than any other competitor (once DIRECTV10 is turned on). How is this blowing smoke, and instead of making such a foolish general comment, how about some specifics.

LOL, how on earth can you conclude directv will be the hd leader without seeing what its competitors do by then? You don't have to announce your plans 6+ months in advance. Don't expect directv's competitors to just sit on their hands, even if they do deliver on their promises. I seriously doubt most of the national hd networks are going to be launching only on directv.

Talk about rampant directv fanboyism.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)