DIRECTV: 100 HDTV Channels In 2007

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Charter is maxed out already in my area and carries less HD then even DirecTV and more expensive. Just my area though.

Charter is maxed out already in my area and carries less HD then even DirecTV and more expensive. Just my area though.

When Bob decides to ever back up his claim (its easy to just say what you want without ever giving FACTS), he will find that its ALL over the place. I would bet (yes Bob bet YOU) that if you were to actually put together the info, you would find that its not your VAST MAJORITY - not even close.

Also, Bob, tried to do same on comcast site as you suggested - but you have to put in zip and a street address - again, not what you said, so I doubt YOU tried it either. But as always when you open your yap WITHOUT fact, this is what happens

He asked me to go to those companies sites - I DID. I found out NOTHING supports his claim - and I expected that. However, I am done posting on this - I believe the facts now speak for themselves.

It is probably correct to say that major cable and broadband companies will be behind directv in terms of hd capacity for a while, I don't see them being able to provide that many channels until well into 2008, but that doesn't mean directv will be offering more channels just because they have the capacity to. Thus, cable and broadband executives aren't exactly shaking in their boots.

How will they get the broadband space in 2008, that they don't have today? A single cable only has so much bandwidth.

Well, I would suggest just typing in zip codes on comcasts or coxs channel lineup pages, just now to confirm what I observed before I would say about 80 percent of the areas I looked at offered at least 25-35 percent more hd channels than directv does now. All over the range? Perhaps, but overall it's clear directv is lagging beind in both quality and quantity.

In Louisiana, there is absolutely nothing that follows that trend.

Most areas of Georgia either....

I doubt that is true whatsoever with the exceptions of some select areas that may exist.

You guys above are so very correct. Likely 90% or better of the US have cable systems in the same or worse "hurt locker" that DirecTV, and likely Dish, find themselves in today and being beat up over. In the very rare 5% - 10% (which may include FiOS, U-verse and the very exceptional cable co),none of which operate with the same business model or national scene as DBS. However, to me, I think I see who is the best positioned for the future as we speak, and as it has been said, 12/31/07 will be the date we should all look to revisit this thread.

The Cable companies are doomed in the HD world. The Cable system just does not have the capability to compete with Directv's setup once these next 2 birds go up. They better focus on phones and internet, because DTV will be in HD when they are finally all digital, just like DTV was all digital long before cable even brought locals in digital (btw, many still don't).

before the patter begins on me, of course I know if the cable cos all go fiber optic that will have the ability, but that ain't happening any time soon, not on a large scale.

I remember Directv promised new HD DVR about 9-12 months before it actually happened. So I would say those 100 HD channels will come lets say first-second quarter of 2008. Or maybe at the end of 2007 right before christmas season. I definitely would strike some deals with HD TV sets manufacturers thats gonna be a big money business. I wonder if prices of HD TVs will go up or down...........
Please understand something: if one promises something and then it doesnt happen one can just apologize and give a good reason why it didnt happen. Nobody will get mad. People will have to wait a little longer. And longer..... But if you tell the truth that nothing is coming up and its still years till it happens your customers will lose interest and maybe even abandon you trying to get a better deal somewhere else. So it is better to lie than tell the truth. Think about it......
By the way why 100 channels? Wouldnt it be in reality say 89 or 113?

The Cable companies are doomed in the HD world. The Cable system just does not have the capability to compete with Directv's setup once these next 2 birds go up. They better focus on phones and internet, because DTV will be in HD when they are finally all digital, just like DTV was all digital long before cable even brought locals in digital (btw, many still don't).

before the patter begins on me, of course I know if the cable cos all go fiber optic that will have the ability, but that ain't happening any time soon, not on a large scale.

Cable doesn't need to go all fiber to be able to compete. If a system has lets say 60 analog channels all they need to do is convert them all to digital, they can then fit up to 3 HD channels with QAM256 into each of those freed up analog channels. Another alternative is to go to switched video vs. broadband, which while more expensive and time consuming to implement would by back a ton of bandwidth.

Cable doesn't need to go all fiber to be able to compete. If a system has lets say 60 analog channels all they need to do is convert them all to digital, they can then fit up to 3 HD channels with QAM256 into each of those freed up analog channels. Another alternative is to go to switched video vs. broadband, which while more expensive and time consuming to implement would by back a ton of bandwidth.

A big expense for them though. They will need to buy and install converter boxes for every TV connected to their system. I know some people already have the converter boxes, but the majority of cable subscribers are basic and currently just hook the cable to their TV set.

A big expense for them though. They will need to buy and install converter boxes for every TV connected to their system. I know some people already have the converter boxes, but the majority of cable subscribers are basic and currently just hook the cable to their TV set.
Yep, but the rumor (always with the rumor) is that they're supposed to be coming up with a really cheap/striped down digital converter. Also the cable companies have this nasty habit of moving channels off the analog tier to the digital tier, backhanding folks into upgrading to digital anyway. Comcast did that in a few Chicago burbs moving Sci-Fi from analog to digital tier. While it will costs them bucks to do this it's probably the cheapest alternative out there when compared to the others.

And there are some people I know that have cable for the simple reason they *don't* have to have a box on every TV. And you know the cable company will charge you for each box (as they do today), they aren't going to give them away for free. Even if it's just $2 a month or something.

And these same people would look long and hard at satellite seeing as "they have to have a box on every tv anyway".

Cable is in a tougher spot them some people like to make them out to be.

I remember Directv promised new HD DVR about 9-12 months before it actually happened. So I would say those 100 HD channels will come lets say first-second quarter of 2008. Or maybe at the end of 2007 right before christmas season. I definitely would strike some deals with HD TV sets manufacturers thats gonna be a big money business. I wonder if prices of HD TVs will go up or down...........
Please understand something: if one promises something and then it doesnt happen one can just apologize and give a good reason why it didnt happen. Nobody will get mad. People will have to wait a little longer. And longer..... But if you tell the truth that nothing is coming up and its still years till it happens your customers will lose interest and maybe even abandon you trying to get a better deal somewhere else. So it is better to lie than tell the truth. Think about it......
By the way why 100 channels? Wouldnt it be in reality say 89 or 113?

I believe DirecTV said its goal for the end of the year is 100 HD channels. The satellites will be there to be launched in time for this fall. But a lof of the numbers are dependent on the suppliers. DirecTV should still have a very significant amount by time late summer or fall rolls around.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)