Directv 15 Launch 5/27/2015

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

nelson61

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
Where it's Warm
If things go as planned, Directv 15 will launch 5/27 late afternoon Eastern Time (probably around 5:15).

What are Reverse Band Transponders in the DIRECTV 15 satellite?
The downlink band for RDBS(Reverse band) is basically the same as the conventional DBS(KU) uplink band to within around 100 MHz for service in the U.S, so in way reversed, directv tested this with D12 as you would assume if uplink and downlink is sent on the same frequency interference would be a problem, but turns out interference is only immediately around the DBS uplink facilities and is fairly small.

Also people forget directv's Ka-lo sats(D10 103CB, D11 99CB) or B band sats use a frequency that was originally for the uplink band for 2 way satellite internet service that hughes had planned using on the Spaceway 1/2 sats. Ka-hi for download, and Ka-lo for upload on 99 and 103. Directv just took that bandwidth and flipped it around to have twice the one way bandwith for downlink.

Last edited:
The downlink band for RDBS(Reverse band) is basically the same as the conventional DBS(KU) uplink band to within around 100 MHz for service in the U.S, so in way reversed, directv tested this with D12 as you would assume if uplink and downlink is sent on the same frequency interference would be a problem, but turns out interference is only immediately around the DBS uplink facilities and is fairly small.

Also people forget directv's Ka-lo sats(D10 103CB, D11 99CB) or B band sats use a frequency that was originally for the uplink band for 2 way satellite internet service that hughes had planned using on the Spaceway 1/2 sats. Ka-hi for download, and Ka-lo for upload on 99 and 103. Directv just took that bandwidth and flipped it around to have twice the one way bandwith for downlink.
Thanks for the info.

Do you know what D14 is going to be used for? I thought it would bring a lot more HD channels but it didn't.
DirecTV was kind of in a holding pattern until D15 is successfully operational. I have no idea if it is related to the issues they experienced with D12 a while ago or if it is planned redundancy so to speak, but it seems part of their plan.

Personally I don't expect any influx of new HD, rather continued progress like we have seen over the past few years, a channel (or a couple) here and there based on agreements. That said, they needed more bandwidth to be able to do that, as before D14 they were running out. I don't have much interest at this time in 4K, after seeing demos of it, I don't find it as exciting as the SD to HD transition, so it doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Also, I can't recall any stations I personally watch that aren't in HD on DirecTV at this point. But that is not the case for many people. D14/D15 also may eventually pave the way to transitioning to a all HD platform. Likely talking 2017-2019 type range, but eventually they want to move all customers to a server/client type setup, and the Genie Lite will give them that power for most situations.

Reactions: scoop8 and Troch77
Do you know what D14 is going to be used for? I thought it would bring a lot more HD channels but it didn't.
D14 is providing many popular channels that are also mirrored to Puerto Rico, as its capable of US and puerto rico broadcasting simultaneously. So directv has been removing channels off the old sats and on to D14 that they also want to send to PR. D15 can do the same thing, while it won't add much bandwidth to the US it will add a lot for the PR market. Directv has a ton a free space now, they are just moving things around to use it most efficiently, for every channel they move to D14 and soon D15 will equally free space on D11 and D12 for new less popular HD channels the don't want to send to PR.

What are Reverse Band Transponders in the DIRECTV 15 satellite?

A few years back FCC authorized the addition of bandwidth for satellite tv so we all can receive more channels or higher definition.

The FCC name for the new frequencies is "17/24 GHz Broadcasting Satellite Service" and FCC uses "17/24 GHz BSS" as a short descriptor.

The downlink frequency for the new band is 17 GHz while the 17 GHz frequency is used for uplinking to the satellite for DBS service (the service we have been receiving for many years).

Before the regulations and definitions were formalized and published, it became common usage to call the new frequency band "Reverse" since "up" is "down" for the 17 GHz signal on the new service.

I wonder if it has the Premier coverage where if an LCD screen breaks at the uplink it's covered by the protection plan! Haha! :)

Somebody throwing something, say their stapler or cell phone...sounds like accidental damage to me ;)

No, it's not even parked in the proper orbital spot yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts