DirecTV-2-PC Public Beta

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This has been out for a few months now in the CE program. I know there are very large threads on DBSTalk about it with tons of details, I'm sure there are some here as well.

The page linked above is obviously a placeholder while they get ready to roll this out but it's not available to the public yet, only in the CE program. But the page actually being there must mean they are close to releasing it. I'd guess it will be marked "beta" similar to how the DirecTV On Demand was listed as beta for a long time.

It has been in closed beta testing for many months.

This thread / website notice is the first sign of a possible "public" beta test.

This has been released to a select few CE'rs for a while now. It is generally viewed as the precursor to MRV <---- D* NEEDS TO GET ON THE BALL & GET MRV OUT THE DOOR NOW!!!!!!!!

as well as some new HD Channels :)

This has been released to a select few CE'rs for a while now. It is generally viewed as the precursor to MRV <---- D* NEEDS TO GET ON THE BALL & GET MRV OUT THE DOOR NOW!!!!!!!!

as well as some new HD Channels :)

Not here.. Our CE Program has not seen this! I know we requested it but D* wanted to test it over at DBS Talk. Maybe now that they are ready to publicly test, they can open it up over here now. Maybe we need to shoot them an email and ask.

Rey_1178, overall it sounds like you have more horse power in than my laptop does and it does great most of the time so you should be fine as well.

Big Dawg 23, I have the Hauppage 950 and I see some of the same things for processor usage on my computer while watching live TV. The issue is that the USB tuners have software encoders so the processor has to do all that work. If you have an internal card that did hardware encoding it probably wouldn't be an issue. I haven't looked at my processor usage while watching a pre recorded HD show on my laptop, but I'll look at that tonight.

If you're using OTA analog then you will definitely see a hit for software encoding. OTA HD is already encoded, so if you're watching OTA HD live or recorded, your system is mostly decoding.

OTA HD is MPEG2 based, which is less cpu intensive than D* HD which uses MPEG4. Software decoding of MPEG2 or MPEG4 is a cpu issue, just about any old video card will work if you have enough cpu. If you don't have enough cpu, modern video cards can offload some decoding. Ideally you would have something like an NVidia PureVideo based card (or ATI equivalent) which accelerates playback. This offloads decoding significantly and will let you get away with a slower cpu than pure software playback. I'm assuming your box will also need to decrypt the video stream as it is decoding it for playback.

I'm guessing more requirements details will surface, but one measure might be that if your system can playback Apple's HD 1080 movie trailers with cpu to spare, it will probably be pretty decent for decrypting and decoding. If your system is struggling with Apple's HD 1080 then I would guess this would be too much for it.

So here's a question that I'm sure a few of us have. Is it safe to hook up the receiver to your network if you've "moved"? It's been almost a year since doing so and at the time I was "working as a contractor" and living in another market that had HD locals. The place that the "bill gets sent" now has locals BUT it does not have the CW HD and they are having all kinds of nasty problems with the FOX HD signal getting pillarboxed. If they can lock down a location via IP (I have Crapcast Internet), how receptive would they be to a "I forgot to notify you when I moved back" excuse when they called to inquire?

If not for the issues with the HD locals where I'm located, this feature would be enough to get me to not only "move back" but also reconfigure my network setup. Having to sit back in the bedroom and watch Sponge Bob with my 3 year old would be a lot easier if I could still be watching my shows via the laptop.

The latest info is that DirecTV & Cyberlink hope to have the beta available tommorrow.

Obviously that could change, but they are working on it, and we'll hopefully see the public beta soon :)

Not here.. Our CE Program has not seen this! I know we requested it but D* wanted to test it over at DBS Talk. Maybe now that they are ready to publicly test, they can open it up over here now. Maybe we need to shoot them an email and ask.

I think this CE test started before SatGuys got more involved I think. But then I don't keep up on interforum politics so I could be wrong on that one.

On reason for a delay that I've seen is that since you need to have the code that's currently in CE to make this work they need to get the CE version out as a national release to the HR2X's and then the beta would start.

I'm not entirely sure that is the case Rad. Some improvements were made during the current CE cycle to DTV2PC, but I don't think it was anything to make it functional. I could be wrong on that, but I think the testers were using it before this CE cycle started.

If that is the case, then they must be very close to releasing the current CE software, the word I got from D* is we're looking at a matter of days.

I'm not entirely sure that is the case Rad. Some improvements were made during the current CE cycle to DTV2PC, but I don't think it was anything to make it functional. I could be wrong on that, but I think the testers were using it before this CE cycle started.

If that is the case, then they must be very close to releasing the current CE software, the word I got from D* is we're looking at a matter of days.

Jason, may be, just reporting what I saw elsewhere. To maybe back that up, yesterday I replaced a R15 with a new HR22 and installed the current NR code on it. My PC client does not see the HR22 from my laptop or desktop, just my HR20/HR21 that have the latest CE code on them. I know there have been cases where the client code has changed and required that you be a new CE versions to make it work.

So here's a question that I'm sure a few of us have. Is it safe to hook up the receiver to your network if you've "moved"? It's been almost a year since doing so and at the time I was "working as a contractor" and living in another market that had HD locals. The place that the "bill gets sent" now has locals BUT it does not have the CW HD and they are having all kinds of nasty problems with the FOX HD signal getting pillarboxed. If they can lock down a location via IP (I have Crapcast Internet), how receptive would they be to a "I forgot to notify you when I moved back" excuse when they called to inquire?

If not for the issues with the HD locals where I'm located, this feature would be enough to get me to not only "move back" but also reconfigure my network setup. Having to sit back in the bedroom and watch Sponge Bob with my 3 year old would be a lot easier if I could still be watching my shows via the laptop.

Good question. I've had my HR21 connected to my network (and thus the internet) so I can use VOD for about 5 months now (I *moved*) and they have not said a peep to me about it.

Well looking at the DNS info it's not like roadrunner where it gives your location right in it. I guess I'll give it a shot.

What's not working about it?
In case you are not, you have to be using one the last CE firmware releases for it.

EDIT: I guess you're talking about the public download link on Cyberlink's site. It is still not ready yet.

Last edited:
So it safe to assume that since this was part of a CE release, DTV will need to roll out a national release prior or in conjunction with the public beta release of the software?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts