DirecTV-2-PC Public Beta

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here is the latest from DirecTV:

The DirecTV2PC download became available this afternoon.

It will require a update to your receiver software, which will be coming in the next few days or week.

Once you have software version 0x0290, you can use DirecTV 2 PC.

Hold INFO for 5 seconds to check your software version. Also, after receiving the update, you'll see a "Fall Update" message after powering up your receiver.

Rey_1178, overall it sounds like you have more horse power in than my laptop does and it does great most of the time so you should be fine as well.

Big Dawg 23, I have the Hauppage 950 and I see some of the same things for processor usage on my computer while watching live TV. The issue is that the USB tuners have software encoders so the processor has to do all that work. If you have an internal card that did hardware encoding it probably wouldn't be an issue. I haven't looked at my processor usage while watching a pre recorded HD show on my laptop, but I'll look at that tonight.

Checkout avsforum for more info; but with a halfway decent video card; your CPU usage should be well below 20%. I have also have the Hauppauge 950 and my CPU hovers around 10%. For normal HD OTA; NO COMPRESSION IS BEING DONE. They simply play the MPEG-2 stream they receive. If you use an analog connection; then the CPU usage will peg because it has to encode the incoming analog signal to MPEG2 then display it...

Make sure whatever software you use is using hardware acceleration on the video card. If so; and your CPU usage is high for HD content; then something (probably the software) is not right...

I personally use Vista Media Center; but there are many wonderful choices...

Same thing, if you go to the DirecTV site that it refers to then you can get there.

Same thing, if you go to the DirecTV site that it refers to then you can get there.

Cyberlink must have a block on the site to only allow you to enter if you refereed from DirecTv's site.

Enter your name and email on the page you got the adviser from and click submit. That will take you to the download page and email you a serial number.

The download is very slow.

A big draw back to this is going to be the requirement of an HDCP compliant Video Card and Display.

Same here. Once I managed to GET it downloaded, it did not detect any of my receivers :(

edit - dang, just realized I might have to be using the ce to get on board with this. and I just missed the window!

This is a great day that DirecTV and Cyberlink have partnered to bring us DirecTV2PC.

DIRECTV: DIRECTV2PC

A couple things: You will need the latest Cutting Edge software release to use Directv2pc. If you don't have it, you can wait for the next national receiver update from Directv, which should be only days to a few weeks away, or you can check out our Cutting Edge forum for the next beta test release Friday.

Keep in mind you will need a high end computer and good graphics system to use Directv2pc. Think of what a blueray playback would require.

As a guideline, nothing more, your're probably looking at 2ghz cpu, 2gb ram, and good 512mb graphics processor. These are not specific, just my hope to give you a start as to whether this could work on your system.

As this is a beta test, I'd ask that actual discussion of the use of Directv2pc be in our CE forum, so DirecTV can review the issues and concerns.

Enjoy!

A public beta that requires non-public beta firmware, I think they are missing the point.

They are to an extent, as the current CE software has been NR candidate for the past 3 weeks. So the public will be getting software compatible with Directv2PC very soon, as it is up to the feedback from CE testers before D* pushes the software to everyone.

A public beta that requires non-public beta firmware, I think they are missing the point.

It's not really very public, is it? The link is only found by being a member of a few online forums. Try getting to the link through DirecTV's website. They are simply being cautious with their approach, as they were with DOD and continue to be with Media Share (still considered "beta").

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts