DirecTV 2 PC Software Version 5717

Status
Please reply by conversation.
They have it setup to take HDCP to the extreme, that is for sure.

Thats the truth. I've long said that the software may make Hollywood happy, but its going to frustrate and exclude an awful lot of customers.

I had to buy my wife a new laptop a couple of weeks ago because her 4 year old $1200 laptop wouldnt run directv2pc and she'd gotten used to watching a show or two during the day when the livingroom tv was otherwise in use. Unfortunately it only had a crappy 950 intel graphic chip, so she could only run the original alpha software and it gave her (and thus me) to many problems.

Oh well, sacrificing another $600 to the directv altar seems to have made her happy....:rolleyes:

Lem, one other thing to check...are you running any sort of firewall or virus protection/internet protection 'suite' software on the computer?

You might try turning those off or disabling them and giving it a whirl. I havent had much trouble with most current firewall products and directv2pc, but you might have something different or older thats giving you trouble.

Thanks for all the help that you are providing me. I am running windows firewall and AVG anti-virus. Turning off the antivirus for a few minutes don't help and in windows firewall, I have allowed the direct2pc to run but it can't find a receiver.

I presently cannot get to my router to upgrade the firmware. It won't let me log on. I have the upgrade to the firmware on the computer but unless I can log on, I don't know how else to upgrade it. I want to try the upgrade before buying another router.

Lem52

Did you use the default username and password in the router users guide? If that didnt work, did someone else set the router up that might know the password?

According to the version 4.3 user manual under advanced settings, the username is blank and the password is 'admin' by default. I think thats the default for all versions, but its not a sure thing.

If that doesnt work, press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds while the power is on, and that should reset the router to all of its default settings including the admin user name (blank) and the password (admin). You might have to unplug and replug the power after doing this to make it take effect.

Once you get in, go to the firmware upgrade section and send it your new firmware. The router should reset itself again and within a few minutes be available to you. I'd recommend that you log in again and go back into the administration section and do another 'reset to factory defaults', let it restart, and then go back in and configure any options that you need to make the router work, like login information for your ISP (if any) or any other required setups.

I like to do a factory reset before and after a firmware update on routers. Its not unusual for some crap to be hanging around in the routers nvram before or after an update. The double reset makes sure we get rid of anything hanging around before and after the upgrade.

Did you use the default username and password in the router users guide? If that didnt work, did someone else set the router up that might know the password?

According to the version 4.3 user manual under advanced settings, the username is blank and the password is 'admin' by default. I think thats the default for all versions, but its not a sure thing.

If that doesnt work, press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds while the power is on, and that should reset the router to all of its default settings including the admin user name (blank) and the password (admin). You might have to unplug and replug the power after doing this to make it take effect.

Once you get in, go to the firmware upgrade section and send it your new firmware. The router should reset itself again and within a few minutes be available to you. I'd recommend that you log in again and go back into the administration section and do another 'reset to factory defaults', let it restart, and then go back in and configure any options that you need to make the router work, like login information for your ISP (if any) or any other required setups.

I like to do a factory reset before and after a firmware update on routers. Its not unusual for some crap to be hanging around in the routers nvram before or after an update. The double reset makes sure we get rid of anything hanging around before and after the upgrade.

I got it upgraded but then I never could get a connection after that. I am giving up on that peice of crap and getting something else. The power led just keeps flashing and unplugging it don't do any good.

Lem52

Lem52

Not necessarily a bad choice. We might have gotten your old router to work, but something made in the 21st century isnt a bad idea,

Keep us posted, we'll keep helping.

Hope it solves your problems. By the way, the flashing power light on a router usually means it didnt get the firmware update and would like you to try again. If you have a setup program on the pc for the router, sending the firmware again usually will get it going. If you dont have a setup program and the router needs to be fed manually with a tftp based program.

The 'router tools' program from this web site can do that without too much complexity
DrayTek Australia :: VIGOROUS BROADBAND ACCESS

I'm having a problem. It connects to my receiver, I see the DVR list populate, but the spinning circle keeps loading until the program crashes

Hope it solves your problems. By the way, the flashing power light on a router usually means it didnt get the firmware update and would like you to try again. If you have a setup program on the pc for the router, sending the firmware again usually will get it going. If you dont have a setup program and the router needs to be fed manually with a tftp based program.

The 'router tools' program from this web site can do that without too much complexity
DrayTek Australia :: VIGOROUS BROADBAND ACCESS

I got the D-Link DIR-601 router today. Ran the setup and wow everything worked the first time! The Directv2pc application had never worked before as the old peice of crap I had never could find my DVR. The first time I ran Directv2pc, it found my receiver and downloaded some files and then I had it play one of my recorded programs.

I had to change the resolution to 1980x1080p in order to get full hd and wow I couldn't believe it! Really looks great! Now I can hide from my wife more often!

CFB, thanks for your help again!

Lem52

Glad to be of service Lem. Hiding from your wife is one of the few pleasures we old guys get to enjoy.

Wait until you get that wireless stuff working... :)

I don't have any wireless devices yet. I set up the router using all wired ports and then set my security at the higest level, so can a wireless user get on my network?

I have a problem trying to access my pictures on my computer from my dvr. All I get is a triangle and an exclamation point. I can see the folders on my tv but when try to veiw, the dvr says can't access the media, and then tries to grab content and nothing shows up. Any ideas?

Lem52

There should be something in the wireless setup to turn off the wireless radio or set the power level to 0. Or you could just set the protocols to wpa2 with AES encryption and then type in a hundred or so random characters into the KEY field. That'd take military computers about 250 years to break.

Media share (what shows the photos) is a sad piece of beta code thats been allowed to fester for a long time in a semi-working state. I understand that they're working on this in some current beta test code and perhaps that'll be out in a month or two or three.

In the meanwhile, its probably either the format of the photo (.jpg, .bmp, .png) as only certain types at certain sizes are supported. Video is a very mixed bag. Music seems to work pretty well most of the time.

I went into the router and turned off the wireless part. It was set on high signal and wireless was on, so someone could have got on around here last night. I got lots of neighbors!

Thanks for the info on the photos and video problems. You must be pretty right on that because nothing seems to work with those 2 things. I don't really need that part anyway because I can copy photos a flash drive and then stick that right into my Samsung TV or the Blue Ray if I need to view them.

Lem52

Wireless signals tend to not travel far with most routers. Unless you're in an apartment building odds are that the folks next door could see your router but would only get one bar of signal at best. Houses near me have a little room between them, and I can see 4-5 routers at any given time, but the signal strength is pretty low.

Looks like the next national release of software, whenever we get it, will have better mediashare. I hope so, because that would solve several problems for me. Although I already took care of a number of problems by plugging $135 computers into the televisions and networking them together.

still having this problem:
It connects to my receiver, I see the DVR list populate, but the spinning circle keeps loading until the program crashes

worked fine with the same hardware 2 months ago, but I haven't used it since. this DVR is notorious for issues though, getting errors such as TVApps failed to load and could not initialize network services. this never played a role in having problems with VOD or directv2pc in the past

You wont get the key unless you actually download the software. The key send is triggered when the download is completed. It may also end up in your 'spam' or junk mail folder.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts