Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
DIRECTV 3D
*DIRECTV is excited about 3D and will not be a Passive Customer

*Common Sense Guide Data will be from Tribune

*HDMI v is not 1.4 But is Vendor specific

*Will or may not be passed thru current A/V receivers(hit or miss)

*HR20 Owners will have to upgrade, (specific customer history
will weigh in as to if upgrade requires new commitment, and pay
new receiver shelf price)

*MRV being looked into

*TVs not on the list may work, adapters may be required

*FPTVs have not been tested

Attachments

• D3D.JPG
    D3D.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 601
  • 2)3D Common Sense.JPG
    2)3D Common Sense.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 713
  • 3)3D.JPG
    3)3D.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 689
  • 3)D Supported.JPG
    3)D Supported.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 701
  • 4)3D continued.JPG
    4)3D continued.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 560
  • 4)3D Guide.JPG
    4)3D Guide.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 608
  • 5)3D HDMI.JPG
    5)3D HDMI.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 649
  • 6)3D HRO Issues.JPG
    6)3D HRO Issues.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 539
  • 7)3D whole home support.JPG
    7)3D whole home support.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 619
Thank you to DIRECTV for inviting SatelliteGuys to this 3D Conference!

I know some people are going to be upset that the HR20 won't do 3D, but from what I heard they will work to get those folks receivers that work.

The big technical challenge here is that many people have their satellite receivers hooked to their AV systems and DIRECTV 3D wont work through an AV receiver. I know some folks are not going to like that.

Thank you to DIRECTV for inviting SatelliteGuys to this 3D Conference!

I know some people are going to be upset that the HR20 won't do 3D, but from what I heard they will work to get those folks receivers that work.

The big technical challenge here is that many people have their satellite receivers hooked to their AV systems and DIRECTV 3D wont work through an AV receiver. I know some folks are not going to like that.

Wow .....

Isn't that like a no brainer when your watching a movie to run thru your HT system .

While I do not have a schematic of the HR20. I am going to assume that the HR20 used an 1.2 spec chip which is why it will not work .

As far as those who wish to upgrade from the HR20? It should also be pointed out that every receiver will need upgraded to a 1.4 spec (which has not been released) to enjoy true 1080P 3d broadcast. Why force someone with an HR20 to a 2 year, when they will be needing an upgrade again in less than a year.

A niche format at best. I hope DirecTV doesn't devote all of their time and money on this short lived pseudo technology...

I agree. Call me old school but I am just not interested in 3D at this time. To be honest, the only 3D I have seen is Pixar's Up in 3D when it first came out.

Thanks for the info Don. 3D is getting very close, unfortunately I'll be on the sideline for 3D, but I hope those with the right sets enjoy!

As far as those who wish to upgrade from the HR20? It should also be pointed out that every receiver will need upgraded to a 1.4 spec (which has not been released) to enjoy true 1080P 3d broadcast. Why force someone with an HR20 to a 2 year, when they will be needing an upgrade again in less than a year.
HDMI 1.4 and 1.4a have been released. The DirecTV H/HR21-24 receivers do not need to be upgraded to a 1.4 spec in order to display the DirecTV 3d channels.

I checked out 3d at the Best Buy because the tv I bought was 3d. It's pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't dismiss the potential here. I agree that the release of this technology seems a bit early considering everyone is just now into the hdtv phase. However, I think it will catch on. It would be nice if they could come up with some kind of dual layer tv screen that doesn't require glasses to view in 3d.

As long as this requires glasses it will be relegated to the niche market and die a quick death as people realize that all the content is 2D rotoscoped to appear 3D and causes immense headaches!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)