DirecTV 3rd Quarter Earnings Call

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Talking about HD receiver accessing HD DVR in another room...(end of 09 maybe)whole home experience... and beta testing for pc to dvr...

The way I heard is it was the HD receiver access HD DVR was soon and the whole house 2009. Did mention about 10K users testing the PC to DVR solution now (HI CE'ers).

Also they were asked about adding a Slingbox type function to their STB's, they said they look at Sling as a niche product at this time so no plans but they might at some future time.

Are you saying 1 DVR will do the Entire house HD DVR? When and How much.?? I'll take one!

Hemi, AFAIK they've never announced any specs for this box so anything is a guess. But the guess is that there would be one big honking box with a lot of tuners that would then feed a client type box.

The current rumor, and guess it was backed up by what Chase said in the call, was that soon a standard non-DVR HD box would be able to access recorded content from a HD DVR so that's a step in that direction.

Hemi, AFAIK they've never announced any specs for this box so anything is a guess. But the guess is that there would be one big honking box with a lot of tuners that would then feed a client type box.
I wonder how they would get the HD signal to all the TV's? I doubt Coax would work right? Fiber optics?

I wonder how they would get the HD signal to all the TV's? I doubt Coax would work right? Fiber optics?

I'd guess there would still be a box at every set but that box wouldn't have any DBS tuners in it, just a network connection back to the 'big' box with all the tuners and hard drive in it.

And with profits up 11%, the excuse that directv worshippers make about new HD channels being:

1. Not nessecary.
2. They need HD PPV for profits (bull).
3. Economy is slowing down new HD channels (also a big pile of bull).
4. We should wait.

Profits are up quite a bit, and in case these Directv worshippers haven't checked the PPV channels latetly, one movies takes up 4 or more channel slots. HOW THE HELL DOES THAT INCREASE REVENUE? You guys honestly telling me that people buy all 4 channels?

This bull crap from both Directv and their ass kissers needs to go.

And with profits up 11%, the excuse that directv worshippers make about new HD channels being:

1. Not nessecary.
2. They need HD PPV for profits (bull).
3. Economy is slowing down new HD channels (also a big pile of bull).
4. We should wait.

Profits are up quite a bit, and in case these Directv worshippers haven't checked the PPV channels latetly, one movies takes up 4 or more channel slots. HOW THE HELL DOES THAT INCREASE REVENUE? You guys honestly telling me that people buy all 4 channels?

This bull crap from both Directv and their ass kissers needs to go.

:eek: What burr crawled up your ass?

Damn. If you take out Dish and insert Direct in the first sentence. you would think that was Charlie and not Carey speaking. I am convinced now that they were separated at birth and now run their own satellite company.:rolleyes:

Carey has the nerve to say that others "market and say they are doing is way ahead of what they are really doing". What a joke!! Take a look in the mirror!!

"I'd say the cable guys and DISH have (beefed) up their HD," Carey said. "Although I think sometimes what they market and say they are doing is way ahead of what they are really doing. But in terms of impact on us, we feel great about our position in HD. I think one of the great things about establishing a position of leadership that really associates your brand with that leadership position is that those are strengths you can drive for a while, particularly if you keep finding ways to energize that position. I've said before and continue to believe, I think our position in HD leadership is one that can benefit us not for months or quarters but for years."

"I think our position in HD leadership is one that can benefit us not for months or quarters but for years."

It's this kind of attitude from D* that is leading them to take such a poor direction in regards to new national HD. They feel like they are in lead and don't have to try as much as they did last year. Also because of their "leadership" position they don't have to be as aggressive with contract negotiations and they can hold out for better terms.

It's this kind of attitude from D* that is leading them to take such a poor direction in regards to new national HD. They feel like they are in lead and don't have to try as much as they did last year. Also because of their "leadership" position they don't have to be as aggressive with contract negotiations and they can hold out for better terms.

was this always like this? i know you're gonna let me have it uncrules :D but it also seems that when i moved to D a change of ownership took place which i noticed not so long ago. did i leave charlie for charles the 2nd?

was this always like this? i know you're gonna let me have it uncrules :D but it also seems that when i moved to D a change of ownership took place which i noticed not so long ago. did i leave charlie for charles the 2nd?

Well prior to D10 being turned on September 07, D* wasn't adding any new HD. But that wasn't due to penny pinching. That was a lack of bandwidth. However, between the end of September 07 and December 07 D* went from about 10 HD channels to about 95 (that was D*'s official number although with part time RSNs the number was closer to 120). But this year it has been a big dud so far. The biggest difference is the ownership change. Charlie and Murdoch hate each so Murdoch probably wanted to crush Dish. But Malone and Charlie are buddies and appear to be quite similar in the penny pinching department. :(

And if D* isn't going to fill up the bandwidth on D11, they might as well not waste their time and money launching D12 late next year. It won't be needed.

And yes, you're still on my list :D

Well prior to D10 being turned on September 07, D* wasn't adding any new HD. But that wasn't due to penny pinching. That was a lack of bandwidth. However, between the end of September 07 and December 07 D* went from about 10 HD channels to about 95 (that was D*'s official number although with part time RSNs the number was closer to 120). But this year it has been a big dud so far. The biggest difference is the ownership change. Charlie and Murdoch hate each so Murdoch probably wanted to crush Dish. But Malone and Charlie are buddies and appear to be quite similar in the penny pinching department. :(

And if D* isn't going to fill up the bandwidth on D11, they might as well not waste their time and money launching D12 late next year. It won't be needed.

And yes, you're still on my list :D

I really hope malone isn't as bad as charlie. If they aren't going to add anything else then it's like you said, no use in launching D12.

I really hope malone isn't as bad as charlie.

That's why in the other thread I started I was hoping that somebody other than Malone would take ownership of D*. D* has really lost their focus on national HD under Malone.

There's plenty of channels to add, plenty of bandwidth and all we're getting is Jack Squat. :(

..... and all we're getting is Jack Squat. :(

Actually, if we were to get JackSquat HD, that would constitute a pretty good month of new channel roll-outs around here.

DirecTV seems to be doing fine with Locals, but on the National HD front, they are floundering, and certainly not living up to the National HD hype that was in their March press release.

Jeff

Actually, if we were to get JackSquat HD, that would constitute a pretty good month of new channel roll-outs around here.

DirecTV seems to be doing fine with Locals, but on the National HD front, they are floundering, and certainly not living up to the National HD hype that was in their March press release.

Jeff

which is what attracted me to D. that and the sports

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts