DirecTV 3rd Quarter Results

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bob, where are you hearing that AT&T's going to go to FTTP vs. FTTN?

Bob, The people that AT&T are targeting for Directv sales will most likely never be able to get Uverse. Heck. I am in the city and I can not even get Uverse even though the people across the street can get it as well as a neighbor three houses down. They have way to many upgrades to do before they will become competitive with anybody.
:up:up

Continued robust demand for our service fueled an 8% increase in gross additions to 1.1 million subscribers and net additions of 136,000 primarily due to the addition of AT&T as a marketing partner and record demand for our industry-leading HD and DVR services.
That's a pretty startling disparity.

Last year's net adds were 156,000 and there were 240,000 in 2007.

That's a pretty startling disparity.

Last year's net adds were 156,000 and there were 240,000 in 2007.

This is what happens when you start to reach a saturation point. There are many areas of the country that all ready have over a 50% satellite penetration and some as high as 60%.

We are reaching a point when where all there will be is promo hoppers. Not too many new customers left to be had.

Bob, where are you hearing that AT&T's going to go to FTTP vs. FTTN?

Its being discussed right now at ATT headquarters, As is the future of uverse as a whole. Nothing publicly right now but in all new subdivisions, ATT is already doing FTTP. That's not new. Its just a matter of time. Give it another few months before something officially is publicly announced but, all signs both internal and what att is doing now points to them going that route.

Its being discussed right now at ATT headquarters, As is the future of uverse as a whole. Nothing publicly right now but in all new subdivisions, ATT is already doing FTTP. That's not new. Its just a matter of time. Give it another few months before something officially is publicly announced but, all signs both internal and what att is doing now points to them going that route.

They've done FTTP for a few years now, but currently it does nothing extra for those homes, everyone gets the same level of service, fiber or copper. Will it happen at some point in time, probably but in this economy IMHO AT&T, which has taken the cheap road wherever possible, isn't going to change direction in the near future. Guess will have to see which one is right.

We are reaching a point when where all there will be is promo hoppers. Not too many new customers left to be had.
Promo-hopping is difficult sport at best where a 24 month commitment is involved. Many modern marriages don't last that long.

DIRECTV continues to be surprised by the number of new subscribers but obviously as surprised as they are about that, those leaving are doing so in similarly large numbers as you suggest.

And the economy was in a lot different shape back then now wasn't it.
Don't bother trying to convince Red Box and Netflix of that.

One theory holds that as people can't afford to go out, they "view in".

We are witnessing the viewing model in transition and it is moving toward one that doesn't fetch $5-12/movie. The satellite providers (all of them) need to wake up and smell the microwave popcorn.

You just tried to compare an apple to an orange.

Red box and Netflix , are not even in the same thing as directv. Movie rental service vs tv service. netflix can be had for 9 dollars a month which is alot eaiser to sell someone on then 55.99 dollar a month tv service. Now I think your right about the comparing redbox/netflix to Directv Cinema option. But no fair to compare netflix growing subs to the lower number of new net gains by directv in this bad economy.

Personally I like to see ppv become cheaper as i know I wont pay 5.99 for a movie via directv when i have my next flix sub.

You just tried to compare an apple to an orange.
That was my goal so I'm glad that at least one person recognized it.

My point was that the models for accessing content are changing as a result of the "economic downturn" and some of the "old school" models (apples) like asking $5.99 for a PPV are decidedly less attractive given the newfound alternatives (oranges).

Just as video rental stores (apples) are dropping like flies and being replaced by kiosks and subscription services (oranges), the satellite providers are going to have to adapt to address the new content acquisition model or see those revenue streams disappear.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)