DIRECTV 480P or 480i ????????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maverick96

Original poster
Sep 19, 2005
Hi my question is this can anyone say which of the two formats directv broadcasts there regular digital channels in? I have read in some places that it is 480i and others that say its 480p does anyone know for sure? I'm sorry if this has been answered before I couldn't find a definite answer. Thank you for any info!

Directv broadcasts all SD channels in 480i. Any regular TV usually cannot do the progressive signal, and it takes an HD box to do 480p.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Thanks for the quick response and thank you for welcoming me here, I think this site is great and very informative!! I had a feeling that they were all in 480i although I read an article in another site that had a response from a directv representative stating that all there sd channels are being sent out in 480p. I did not see how this was possible but oh well thanks!!!! :D :D

Without the TVs to support it or the receivers (other than the HD capable ones) it would be pointless for them to do 480p.

If there is anything else you have questions or comments about please feel free to post!! That's what we're here for.

None of the SD receivers have 480P component out,HOWEVER.. the HD receivers are capable of it. So here is another question...does the HD receiver component outputs produce 480p out while it is viewing a non HD channel??

MarkG said:
None of the SD receivers have 480P component out,HOWEVER.. the HD receivers are capable of it. So here is another question...does the HD receiver component outputs produce 480p out while it is viewing a non HD channel??

It outputs a 480p signal but the Program its getting is 480i... so nothing really changes... well other than you stretching it.

Maverick96 also note that 480p is not HD, instead it's EDTV "Enhanced Definition TV" .True HD signals start at 720p.

480i - SDTV
480p - EDTV
720p - HDTV
1080i - HDTV
1080p - HDTV (there are currently no broadcasts that transmit native 1080p that I am aware of.. perhaps we will see what HD-DVD/BLU-RAY give us)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)