DirecTV 4S/8 at 101.0°W - Recommended Equipment anyone??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr. Brown

Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Okay, I've heard that you can't use a DirecTV Dish with a FTA receiver and I've also heard that you can't use an DirecTV receiver with a FTA Dish. Well to tell you the truth, I'm a little confuesed.

I'm planning on buying Free-to-Air Satellite equipment in the future. I want to get these channels listed under DirecTV 4S/8 at 101.0°W.
DirecTV USA on DirecTV 4S/8 at 101.0°W - LyngSat

Is there any recommended equipment that I need in order to get these channels? Does it even matter?

You will need to sub to DirecTV to get those channels. They will provide you with the equipment. FTA receiver will not do you any good.

why would you want to use a free to air box on a subscription channel? I guess you like ot see black screen and "scrambled channel" huh?

Get a sub to DirecTV

From July 30th of last year he said he had a sub to DTV...back then he also said he was going to get an FTA system in the near future...

Mr. Brown, there is no way to get the channels you want with out a subscription to DirecTV. I think you are confused about what Free To Air (FTA) means. It is simple, any broadcasts that are NOT scrambled are FTA. Any broadcasts that ARE scrambled are NOT FTA (all of DirecTV channels ARE scrambled). Hope this helps.
Bob

and on a technical note . . .

Beyond the DirecTV signals being encrypted, the FTA receiver boxes are designed to receive DVB format signals.
DirecTV does not use DVB.
In fact, they use an earlier format, from before the DVB format was cast in stone.

Not quite as different as your AM radio and your FM radio, but that's an example.

That's sucks ! Actually I recall some of reseller claim that for certain FTA receivers, I don't remember model, probably seen that at small-ear site a few years ago.

yeah sadly if you aim a dish at 101 and try to lock them with a FTA box you get no signal :(

And with Dish scrambling all the audio on 119 except for Hawaiian (what up wit dat?) its not fun :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.