DirecTV 99 Odd Transponder Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SomeRandomIdiot

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 8, 2009
USA
Trying to help a friend far North of the Border who does not speak English. Has D* setup but because of his location signals are weaker than in Central United States.

At first, his signal levels were:

99C 01-08 0 78 0 83 0 76 0 83
99C 09-16 0 77 0 82 0 78 N/A
103Ca 09-16 75 51 58 0 00 00 53 0
103Ca 17-24 66 43 51 0 59 36 34 0

Translating and diagnosing from afar, I told him I suspected his alignment was off and that was causing no odd number transponders on 99C.

He adjusted it again and now the readings are:

99C 01-08 0 88 0 92 0 86 0 91
99C 09-16 0 87 0 91 0 91 N/A
103Ca 09-16 86 85 76 62 82 82 74 63
103Ca 17-24 80 81 76 66 81 83 74 69

Clearly the dish is in much better alignment now, but 99 Odd is still dead.

With the rest of the numbers being this close (given how far out of the center beam it is), I can only guess from afar that the LNB has gone bad.

Or am I missing something before I tell him the LNB needs replacing?

If he is using a multiswitch of some sort (WB68 or SWM8) the signals indicate a problem with the cable running from the dish to the connector on the multiswitch marked "99/101 13v". This might also have affected the odd numbered transponders on 101.

Actually there is a multiswitch, in the lnb. If it's not a bad cable, that's where I would look next.

If he is using a multiswitch of some sort (WB68 or SWM8) the signals indicate a problem with the cable running from the dish to the connector on the multiswitch marked "99/101 13v". This might also have affected the odd numbered transponders on 101.

No Multiswitch.

Has a HR20 and HR24 feeding directv from the Dish.

Bad on both receivers.

Actually there is a multiswitch, in the lnb. If it's not a bad cable, that's where I would look next.

Obviously there is a multiswitch in the lnb, but the response was in response to the earlier post about an EXTERNAL multiswitch.

Besides, if the Multiswitch in the LNB is bad, then the entire LNB assembly is bad and needs replacing, regardless of which part in it failed.

Bottom line, at this point it appears no one is suggesting this is a possible alignment issue which leaves the issue @ the LNB.

Alignment will not give that pattern of missing transponders. The observation that the numbers are the same on both rec eivers eliminates a defective cable or a fitting. I would swap out the LNB at this point and look again.

Post back what it turns out to be.

Joe

Obviously there is a multiswitch in the lnb, but the response was in response to the earlier post about an EXTERNAL multiswitch.

Besides, if the Multiswitch in the LNB is bad, then the entire LNB assembly is bad and needs replacing, regardless of which part in it failed.

Bottom line, at this point it appears no one is suggesting this is a possible alignment issue which leaves the issue @ the LNB.

Obvious to whom? You said he didn't have one!

With zero signal on one set of 99c transponders and good signals on the other, no external multiswitch and the problem affecting both receivers, a faulty LNB is just about the only possible cause.

Obvious to whom? You said he didn't have one!

OK - If you are anal enough to respond to a post about an external multiswitch and want to play this game, please tell the world how you check the cable between the lnb and the internal multiswitch as Texasbrit referred to in the previous post.

Bottom line, the question was about thoughts if the issue was the alignment or lnb assembly that was bad.

With zero signal on one set of 99c transponders and good signals on the other, no external multiswitch and the problem affecting both receivers, a faulty LNB is just about the only possible cause.

That was my thought, but wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something before telling him that was the only option left.

I appreciate your thought confirming my thinking.

OK - If you are anal enough to respond to a post about an external multiswitch and want to play this game, please tell the world how you check the cable between the lnb and the internal multiswitch as Texasbrit referred to in the previous post.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3059880
Bottom line, the question was about thoughts if the issue was the alignment or lnb assembly that was bad.

My point that you apparently missed in post #5 is that the problem is likely the lnb, but check the cable connections first because they are usually the easiest to access.

My point that you apparently missed in post #5 is that the problem is likely the lnb, but check the cable connections first because they are usually the easiest to access.

You both got it,
As Chip suggested........you shake & check all cables. If that fixes on receiver but not the other one you check the other cable runs one at a time. After that if you can move the problem by switching the position of a cable you get your wrench (5/16 is my fav) and another known-to-be-good LNB. That will do it most times.

Joe

Joe

Some people only want to confirm thier thoughts, not really any help ....
Some people don't really READ what is posted, just what they want to see .... sadly.

I had the same issue on all Satellites and it was a Barrel connector.

A barrel connector would give the same symptoms as a bad cable or cable connector. I'm guessing you are using an external multiswitch.

Then the LNB would be bad. Same difference.
As a tech, I would start at one end and work my way in or out. Depending on how I felt that day.
With BOTH receivers showing the same thing, I would look to: the grounding block....Bad ground at the d-mark....connectors at the LNB and GND block....LNB itself.
Least likely is the runs of cable..As far fetched as this may seem, it is possibel those two runs are from the same spool of cable which had flaws right out of the factory.
Believe it or not, I have run into this problem. The head scratcher is the problems do not show up right away.
I had one of these where I had 7 service calls at this one job. I ended up replacing ALL of the cable from dish to receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts