Please reply by conversation.

scots

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Sooooooo...

I just had DIRECTV installed on June 2. Got the HR34 Home Media Center, two H25's, the Cinema connection kit, and a slimline dish. I previously had AT&T U-verse. Never had any problems at all with U-verse. Only reason I switched was because I'm getting basically the same channels on DIRECTV for about $40/month less. I noticed that DIRECTV's web site says "DIRECTV delivers 99% worry-free signal reliability, based on a nationwide study of representative cities. Our state-of-the-art equipment is extremely reliable, day and night. On very rare occasions, severe weather conditions may interrupt a signal for a moment, but the clear and crisp picture you're used to always returns very quickly."

So far in a week and a half I've lost signal every time it's rained (twice now) for at least 20 minutes each time. I wouldn't exactly call that 99% reliability, and 20+ minutes is not "a moment". Is this normal? Am I going to have to put up with no TV every time it rains now?? I helped the installer fine-tune the dish by watching the TV through the window and reading the numbers off to him as he adjusted the dish. He got most of the signals to 95 (which I thought was pretty good). The lowest was 92. I had Dish YEARS ago, and it NEVER went out except one time when there was a horrendous storm and lightning was REALLY bad.

sounds like you need a service call. before last nights thunderstorm, which interupted signal for @ 5 min, the last time i lost signal was during a hurricane

scots, the numbers the installer got should ensure very reliable reception, so something else is wrong. There may be a loose connection, or a marginal lnb that should be replaced. You shouldn't be losing signal except in a strong rain storm. Like mdram said, you need a service call to figure out just what is wrong. With such a new install, there should be no charge for it.

You have signals from 92 to 95. What satellite were those from?
Please post all strengths from all transponders on all satellites.

The only time I've seen it go out is when it rains. I've not seen it go out any other time so far. Could water be getting into a loose connection outside?

Good suggestion by jdspencer, can you post all of your signal levels on all of the satellites?

Did the tech have his own signal meter? Or was he only using the receiver to point the dish?

Not sure if he had a meter. He got everything setup and it was working, he went in and checked the signal levels on the receiver, and then asked me if I'd help him while he "fine tuned" it. That's when he had me read off the numbers I was seeing on the receiver while he was making small adjustments to the dish. He said that as long as everything was above 90 it was all good. He replaced the LNB at one point while he was doing the fine tuning.

I'll post signal levels when I get home. Not at home at the moment.

You are lucky indeed if Uverse never went out. In New Britain Ct it most certainly goes out every once in a while. Direct TV virtually never goes out, rarely does Dish for that matter. If it did you would find posts about it all the time. Hope you find whatever is wrong.

I'm next door to you in Cary, and also lost signal late last night for a while. I didn't think the rain was anything "special" relative to some of the thunder-boomers we get in this area during the summer.

KA is more finicky & will drop out quicker than KU. It is the nature of the beast.

The only time I've seen it go out is when it rains. I've not seen it go out any other time so far. Could water be getting into a loose connection outside?

Or in the LNB. I had this issue couple of years ago. Went up on the roof and saw it was wet behind the plastic.

When I moved to my new home I was getting way more rain fade compared to the old house. I accepted it as an inevitability since I do live in Florida. but when I had the hr34 installed, the tech couldn't get some of the transponders to hit at least 95. turns out the dish was slightly bent. It was enough to make it more susceptible to rain fade.

Last edited:
You have got to be kidding me. Sounds like a yoyo installer. It needs to be pointed properly with a meter. The KA dish is very picky.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Sooooooo...

I just had DIRECTV installed on June 2. Got the HR34 Home Media Center, two H25's, the Cinema connection kit, and a slimline dish. I previously had AT&T U-verse. Never had any problems at all with U-verse. Only reason I switched was because I'm getting basically the same channels on DIRECTV for about $40/month less. I noticed that DIRECTV's web site says "DIRECTV delivers 99% worry-free signal reliability, based on a nationwide study of representative cities. Our state-of-the-art equipment is extremely reliable, day and night. On very rare occasions, severe weather conditions may interrupt a signal for a moment, but the clear and crisp picture you're used to always returns very quickly."

So far in a week and a half I've lost signal every time it's rained (twice now) for at least 20 minutes each time. I wouldn't exactly call that 99% reliability, and 20+ minutes is not "a moment". Is this normal? Am I going to have to put up with no TV every time it rains now?? I helped the installer fine-tune the dish by watching the TV through the window and reading the numbers off to him as he adjusted the dish. He got most of the signals to 95 (which I thought was pretty good). The lowest was 92. I had Dish YEARS ago, and it NEVER went out except one time when there was a horrendous storm and lightning was REALLY bad.

Was this a D* installer ?
Why would you need to give him numbers, they all have thier meters that they use to set up the dish so no one else is needed.

I have a feeling when he checks at home he'll have 90-95 on 101, and 70-85 on 99/103, just a hunch.

No installer should need you reading him numbers, and if he had you do that for the dithering process it would have been alot of number reading.

If the signal on 99/103 has more than a couple below 90, you'll want to call and get a different person out to reaim that dish, telling Directv your new install went out multiple times will get that ball rolling.

Was this a D* installer ?
Why would you need to give him numbers, they all have thier meters that they use to set up the dish so no one else is needed.

Yep.. those AIM meters are nice. Tells you exactly how to dither the sucker. I was impressed with it so much I wanted to give it a go. Easiest dish I ever pointed and I have pointed a ton of them. I have pointed and dithered one with just the receiver and it is a real pain. My buddy who works for multiband calls it his idiot proof meter.

Yep.. those AIM meters are nice. Tells you exactly how to dither the sucker. I was impressed with it so much I wanted to give it a go. Easiest dish I ever pointed and I have pointed a ton of them. I have pointed and dithered one with just the receiver and it is a real pain. My buddy who works for multiband calls it his idiot proof meter.

How much are they and do they tell you what Sat your hitting ?
edit:
Never mind, at $ 500, I don't set them up often enough to make it a worthwhile investment.
Would love to be able to rent one though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts