DirecTV 9S Scheduled To Launch Friday

Status
Please reply by conversation.
jeffstra said:
What purpose will DirecTV 9S serve?

It will be capable of providing up to 54 transponders for high-quality local and national digital video service broadcast into 27 beams. In an alternate configuration, the satellite will be capable of providing up to 44 transponders broadcast into 30 beams.

So that kind of leaves a lot that they could do with it. I haven't seen anything official on what will be done with it yet. As they need to catch up with E*, in the HD services, they may try to do something with it in that way.

lou_do said:
So that kind of leaves a lot that they could do with it. I haven't seen anything official on what will be done with it yet. As they need to catch up with E*, in the HD services, they may try to do something with it in that way.
--------------------
The FCC recently authorized D* to modify it's mission, allowing 52 KU & 2 KA
band transponders @ the 101 slot, 'altho it is unclear if they will have H/D
capability. If it does, that would be interesting as the 101 slot is CONUS.

"it is unclear if they will have H/D capability."

Can't they transmit any type of signals (SD or HD) from any transponder; I didn't know transponders were HD capable or not. Is this correct?

charper1 said:
"it is unclear if they will have H/D capability."

Can't they transmit any type of signals (SD or HD) from any transponder; I didn't know transponders were HD capable or not. Is this correct?
--------------
I should have said MPEG4 for the KA band Transponders...yes they could Xmit
MPEG2 from the KU transponders. The press kit clearly says that H/D is part
of the mission.
http://www.arianespace.com/site/news/kit/DIRECTV_OPTUS_LDREX_GB.pdf

charper1 said:
IS this going to be some sneaky rabbit out of their hat (butt)?
------------------------
Don't know, but recent speculations over additional H/D is sure fanning the fires.
We will all have to wait 'n see!!:confused:

The KA band transponders are probably going to be used for MPEG4 L-I-L
backhauls..(don't forget that Direct8 is sitting in the same slot.)

moonman said:
The KA band transponders are probably going to be used for MPEG4 L-I-L
backhauls..(don't forget that Direct8 is sitting in the same slot.)

That's what D* has said they'll use the Ka payload for. Plus the AT-9 can only pick up Ka from 99 and 103.

I really thought this was going to be a backup? or could it be that they are going to use it for about months till 10 and 11 get up there, and then use it as a backup? also one last question for you gurus, if lets say they just decide to use this for HD content, how many National channels could they put on this? and I promise last one :) cant KU broadcast mpeg4 as well?

Here's my understanding of things. D* has permission from the FCC to launch this puppy and put it at 101. At 101 all 32 Ku transponders that they are licensed for are currently in use for programming. There's no room there for any more HD programming unless they shut down some SD programming. They are licensed to use Ka band from 101 on D9S but the AT-9's LNB can't receive Ka on the LNB that sees 101. I'm by means no expert on this but based on what I've seen I don't see how they could do it unless they're going to come out with a mod for the AT-9's LNB assembly to allow for Ka recepition from 101 and software upgrades to the H20 and HR20.

The FCC granted DirecTV Enterprises LLC an application for special temporary authorization (STA) to locate its hybrid DBS and fixed satellite service on the DirecTV 9S Ka-band satellite located at 138 degrees WL and to conduct in-orbit testing for up to 52 days after the satellite's launch. DirecTV is also authorized to operate DirecTV 9S telemetry, tracking and command functions during the in-orbit testing of the satellite at 138 degrees WL, and during relocation of the satellite to its licensed location at 101.1 degrees WL. Refer to FCC Report SAT-00393 for more information.

Also no expert, but the AT-9 dish blends both signals into a freq. range that the
receiver can use? In that case you would not need both types of LNB?? I see no
reason that you could not receive KA from 101...the freq. would be higher but
the receiver should be able to tune the freq.?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)