Directv Access from Canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smlamont

Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Hi all,

I just moved from Chicago to Toronto and plan to continue to subscribe and pay for my Directv access. I set up my dish using youngstown NY ZIp Code (just south of toronto) as a guide for the co-ordinates. I get signal strength of 75-80 on Sat A (110) , 60's on Sat B (119), 70's on Sat C. I do not get 4 transponder signals.

Q: How do local channels work? I think of them reside on Sat B but I'm not sure how they are 'broadcast'. Is is possible to get US local channels (NBC, CBS, FOX) in Canada?

thx

Steve

Follow Up

After some reading, I now understand that local channels are 'spot' beamed into locales.

When I select Ch 2 - NBC, I get "program is not available in you area. Check Guide for Alternativer programming".

Does this mean that I'm getting the signal fine but that my subscription prevents access? To solve this problem, can I phone up Directv and change my physical address (not billing) to some street in Youngtown NY? (In understand they do not check this too hard as long as the bills are paid)

Can anyone verify this before I call DirectTV

thx

Steve

Steve I hate to tell you this but Directv is considered next to illegal in Canada. Directv if they find out you are living there will disconnect you (or they are supposed to).

Of course their are millions watching both Directv and Dish Network in Canada anyway but that never stops them as over a million Canadians watch the two dishes companies.

It is one of the stupidiest monopolistic ideas in the world but my canadian govt can never be accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed.

Actually since the new legislation in Canada it is illegal. But, the man is paying for it so who cares? Up until like April of last year that is where all the hacks bought the smart card writers from ... I was close to doing that myself.

If you do in fact want locals the best way to achieve this would be to use an address where your are eligible for the E/W feeds for the nationals. those are ans will always be on conus birds and you can get them in most of Canada and Mexico. I would PM iceberg (since you are paying and not stealing) and see what he says. I am surprised you don't just opt for BEV ... I hear it is better anyway.

Update

Just a quick update for anyone interested.

it is the simplist thing in the world to call DirecTv and change your service address. There was no questions asked!. I am now have a buffalo service address with my original chicago billing address in tact. the only difficult part was to call the directtv 800 number from canada which took a conference call hosted by a friend in the US to accomplish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts