DirecTV alacarte

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bommai

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Lee's Summit, MO
I am sure I am in the minority here but want to know who else is in my situation.

I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 1997 when there was DirecTV and USSB. I had HBO through USSB and total choice (or whatever that was called then) through DirecTV. Since I did not watch much of what was in the DirecTV package, I canceled it after my one year commitment was over. So, I was left with just HBO package. I have had it since then. I have gone through several receivers that I bought through Circuit City, etc. I got my latest receiver Hughes HIRD-E86 (HD) receiver from Best Buy about 2.5 years ago. It works great and I get HBO-HD, and the other channels from the HBO package, and I also use it for the local ATSC channels. My total cost $12/month.

A year or so ago, I asked DirecTV if they would let me add the HD package for $10.99/month. They refused telling me that I will have to get the Total Choice for about $38/month and then add the HD package. I don't want to do that since I don't have that much money to spend and I don't want to get things I don't watch. I just want the HD package primarily for the Discovery HD theater.

Is anybody else here in the same boat? What are my options? Should I call the retention line? DirecTV has never had to spend a time on me since I managed all my home moves myself. I install my own antenna and just call and give them my change of address. Their overhead for my subscription has been very low!!

Oh well.

bommai said:
I am sure I am in the minority here but want to know who else is in my situation.

I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 1997 when there was DirecTV and USSB. I had HBO through USSB and total choice (or whatever that was called then) through DirecTV. Since I did not watch much of what was in the DirecTV package, I canceled it after my one year commitment was over. So, I was left with just HBO package. I have had it since then. I have gone through several receivers that I bought through Circuit City, etc. I got my latest receiver Hughes HIRD-E86 (HD) receiver from Best Buy about 2.5 years ago. It works great and I get HBO-HD, and the other channels from the HBO package, and I also use it for the local ATSC channels. My total cost $12/month.

A year or so ago, I asked DirecTV if they would let me add the HD package for $10.99/month. They refused telling me that I will have to get the Total Choice for about $38/month and then add the HD package. I don't want to do that since I don't have that much money to spend and I don't want to get things I don't watch. I just want the HD package primarily for the Discovery HD theater.

Is anybody else here in the same boat? What are my options? Should I call the retention line? DirecTV has never had to spend a time on me since I managed all my home moves myself. I install my own antenna and just call and give them my change of address. Their overhead for my subscription has been very low!!

Oh well.
Their overhead may be low but their profit from you is also VERY LOW that is why grandfathered customers like you need to upgrade your programming. Directv is in business to make a profit. Try switching to DISH Notwerk for a la carte service. :)

I can tell you this much, D* doesn't care squat about your $12 a month or how long you have been paying it. All they care about is how much they can get you on the hook for now. If you tell them you will take your business elsewhere they will say, "seeya" and not blink an eye over it. You see if you drop what you have you will never get it back, and that would work to their advantage. D* is banking that even if you do go somewhere else that you would most likely sooner or later come back. They know your not going to get what you want anywhere else, and you pretty much know it as well. So your options are to either stick with what you have or upgrade your programming. Hard to face, but it's the truth.

The truth is that there are some customers with Dish Network in a similar situation. Dish Network once allowed customers to build their own package and pay per channel; those customers can't change their grandfathered packages either.

However, E* will allow you to purchase HBO and their HD programming, but you would have to pay a $5 access fee.

I just wanted DirecTV to do what E* is doing

miguelaqui said:
The truth is that there are some customers with Dish Network in a similar situation. Dish Network once allowed customers to build their own package and pay per channel; those customers can't change their grandfathered packages either.

However, E* will allow you to purchase HBO and their HD programming, but you would have to pay a $5 access fee.

Thanks for all the different replies. I knew I am not a big profit generator for D*. However, them getting another $11/month from me is still profit for them. I am not asking one or two channels alacarte. I want to get the HD package. Oh Well. I sent them an email - let me see what their reply is.

SkyAngel's package for $15 a month gives you a little variety. Will you get charged the $5 access fee for ala carte if you have SkyAngel?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)