DirecTV and Cable Internet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kenpac89

Original poster
Jan 5, 2006
Ok, I am having DirecTV installed on Monday. We currently have Adelphia Internet, but I don't want to get rid of that. (And DSL is not available right now in my area.)

So, in layman's terms, can someone please explain to me if I can do the following?

We have a new house that was pre-wired for satellite tv. We have the cable/phone jacks in 7 locations around the house, but we only use 4 for TV's. Can I still use one of the jacks that will not be on a TV for my Internet service with Adelphia? Currently, we have our modem and wireless router going to one of the unused jacks. Will I still be able to do this? Will the satellite guy be able leave one of the jacks alone so I can still get Internet...or will all of the jacks be hooked up to the satellite?

I don't understand all of the technical stuff, so I would like to know if a dummy like me can do this without having to do or buy anything extra.

Thanks.

You should be able to do this. As long as the wire that is in the unused room goes directly to the cable, and is not branched, you should be fine.

If your house is pre-wired for satelite you should have no compatability problems with cable/internet service. I have a similar set up and have no problems other than not enough coax runs to my satellite install location.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts