directv and dish network rumored to be in merger talks!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Charlie at dishnetworks is getting desparate since he dropped Voom HD they have been loosing a lot of customers and their stock is tanking. I do not think it a bad thing if they aquired all their resources like satellites, and technology but they would need to fire Charlie and his entire management otherwise I would be worried about more poor customer service from mr. charlie ergen and I do not think Directv uses would like that at all! When I was with dish they ignored my numerous calls, e-mails about Voom HD being dropped, when I finally reached a real person they lied about many facts.

The "Merger" if it takes place would not mean a price hike. They are still competing with Cable, Fios, and telephone companies for price. If they were to join and lets say use all of the transponders on Spaceway 1&2, ditch echostar, and combine equipment technologies they would be able to cut overhead cost. They can pass a small portion of this to consumers, pay their techs and csr's more ( lower turn over rates, more knowledgeable staff), and have a better R&D department. Overall you would have more features and choices. The people that are going to be mad about this are the ones that switch every couple of years to get new equipment. The FCC has the final say in it just as they would with any communications company. I think they will come out of the deal as seperate companies but as the FCC forces everyone to carry HD stations the merger is a possibility if this means more HD sooner.

On second thought

Yup it was called At&T Broadband Cable

Here in Chicago
First there was called "Prime Cable Of Chicago" Local provider
then AT&T brought them out and became an national Provider called "AT&T Broadband Cable"
then Comcast came and brought At&t Broadband Cable and now which is called the famous (ComCastic Cable) ... lol :D

Heres the Proof
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_Broadband
and heres the Press Release back then..
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techinvestor/2001/12/20/att-comcast.htm

Last edited:
On second thought

Here in Chicago
First there was called "Prime Cable Of Chicago" Local provider
then AT&T brought them out and became an national Provider called "AT&T Broadband Cable"
then Comcast came and brought At&t Broadband Cable and now which is called the famous (ComCastic Cable) ... lol :D

Heres the Proof
AT&T Broadband - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and heres the Press Release back then..
Comcast to buy AT&T Broadband

Must have been a small portion that AT&T didn't want or was not profitable for them.
I see both companies are definatly running seperate TV technologies.

Jimbo

Yea the last time Dish tried to merge with DirecTV was the time Dish got a look at the DirecTivo.
And the rest is Tivo/Dish lawsuit history.:rolleyes:

If Dish wants to merge again they probably need to look at KA Band technology.;)

I think it would be more of a takeover by DirecTV rather than a merger; and that is only IF it happened. Which I don't think it will.

Must have been a small portion that AT&T didn't want or was not profitable for them.
I see both companies are definatly running seperate TV technologies.

Jimbo

Same AT&T that got sliced and bought up. SBC kept the name and dropped theirs since AT&T was a household name.

Charlie at dishnetworks is getting desparate since he dropped Voom HD they have been loosing a lot of customers and their stock is tanking. I do not think it a bad thing if they aquired all their resources like satellites, and technology but they would need to fire Charlie and his entire management otherwise I would be worried about more poor customer service from mr. charlie ergen and I do not think Directv uses would like that at all! When I was with dish they ignored my numerous calls, e-mails about Voom HD being dropped, when I finally reached a real person they lied about many facts.

Here we go again about Voom... yes, Dish is losing customers, but that began before Voom was dropped. Voom went downhill beginning in Nov 2007. I don't like that Charlie DB but he was right in dropping Voom. He dropped them in an attempt to SAVE subscribers. Subscribers wanted more of what DirecTV and cable was offering, and that is HD nationals. Not proprietary Voom HD. I used to love Monsters HD and watched some of the other channels, but they really took a turn for the worse last year. Voom is dead.

You are fooling yourself if you think that the reason Dish is losing customers is because of the dropping of Voom. People (self included) began ditching Dish months before Voom was dropped. I am loving DirecTV and FIOS is coming to my town soon. Oct 2nd they begin carrying just about all 26 HBO/MAX HD channels. NOBODY else is doing that yet.

I think it would be more of a takeover by DirecTV rather than a merger; and that is only IF it happened. Which I don't think it will.

+1 , D* is on a roll at the moment, I agree IF it did happen it would be on D*`s terms I would think.

Last edited:
On second thought

AT&T wanted to get back into the local phone business, so they bought TCI, who was the largest cableTV operator at the time. The CATV industry was working on a telephone product at the time. When digital telephony (it was a switched system -- not VoIP) became available, they started offering it in some of their systems (~2000 around here). A few years later, Comcast bought AT&T Broadband.

I think you know what was meant because everyone else did:

I think it would be more of a takeover by DirecTV, which is owned by the DirecTV Group Inc, which is controlled by Liberty Media Corporation. Happy now?

I think you know what was meant because everyone else did:

I think it would be more of a takeover by DirecTV, which is owned by the DirecTV Group Inc, which is controlled by Liberty Media Corporation. Happy now?

No because it all depends who John Malone finds to trade stock with after he consolidates DirecTV.Might even be God forbid Charlie?.:eek:

AT&T wanted to get back into the local phone business, so they bought TCI, who was the largest cableTV operator at the time. The CATV industry was working on a telephone product at the time. When digital telephony (it was a switched system -- not VoIP) became available, they started offering it in some of their systems (~2000 around here). A few years later, Comcast bought AT&T Broadband.

That is absolutely correct and I had cable through all those changes. In the DFW, TX area there was one more change, Time Warner took over operations from Comcast. During the Adelphia bankruptcy, their markets were split up between TW and Comcast. At the same time TW and Comcast traded some markets.

On the original post, I still remeber a salesperson for E* knocking on my door, promising me the NFL Ticket with E*. He said with the merger I would get it. I told him call me back after the merger and I will sign up. He still hasn't called me and that was back in the late 90's. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)