DIRECTV and TiVo to Launch New HD DIRECTV DVR with TiVo Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Isn't it about time for you to do your 6 th E*vs D* compairison? :rolleyes:

You are correct, I am preparing my 6th review (this time about the 10,000BC 1080p PQ), unfortunately my 5th (IAM 1080p) and this 6th reviews do not involve D* since D* has yet have 1080p for me to do the comparison.

Ok, stop! Both of you. Now back on the subject at hand.

If either of you respond I am deleting the posts.

if this new tivo has all the features of my hr21 plus it responds faster and it's more stable than my hr21 i'll be the 1st in line. i'll become their biggest fan. some are getting worked up on this because they feel that this is a step backwards. i disagree. why would D do this if it isn't a step ahead? they need more experience on the making of these dvr's. people are making comparisons to the old tivo dvr's. that they were slower and this and that. E dvr's used to suck too. Now to me they are the best out there. The point is E has experience on their side just like Tivo does. D doesn't and they've had enough time to perfect this and it isn't there yet. Maybe it will be before the showing of this new DVR but if it isn't for the 1st time i will be taking a hard look at a tivo. Who knows it might even beat out the vip series from E. if that happens watch out!

Possibly, it's part of their agreement with Tivo, to keep them from going to court, like they did with DISH? (Just spit-ballin' here.)

you might be right.

He is right.

DirecTV's strategy has been to keep Tivo at bay by agreeing to something yet heavily handicap it so it will not be that relevant after all, it only gives Tivo a bragging right which Tivo so desparately needs, in exchange it spares DirecTV of any of those nonsense DISH has to go through with Tivo.

A true agreement should be to immediately work to improve all the existing DirecTivo SD and HD DVRs, short of that it is only lip service, one that will not even begin until the end of 2009.

Even more so, if D* is serious about their work relation with Tivo, have an agreement to let Tivo at least be part of the work on the software end of the HR2x boxes, rather wait till the end of 2009. As I said Tivo has lost 800k subs out of their 4 million from last year, mostly due to the loss of the D* accounts.

It is not hard to speculate based on D*'s past and current records with Tivo that D* is not serious about this new agreement other than trying to stay out of any potential court battle.

Last edited:
if that's the case then it's still isn't a bad thing, it is all still a positive situation for both D and tivo. no complaints here.

if that's the case then it's still isn't a bad thing, it is all still a positive situation for both D and tivo. no complaints here.

Tell this to the current DirecTivo subs who know how much more their Tivo boxes can do but not able to do. I already know personally two of my coworkers had recently ditched their DirecTivo HD boxes for the HR21 upgrade.

I personally want to see D* and Tivo work together, or E* and Tivo work together, but in a way truly benefits the subs. It is just not happening right now. We are been teased.

Tell this to the current DirecTivo subs who know how much more their Tivo boxes can do but not able to do. I already know personally two of my coworkers had recently ditched their DirecTivo HD boxes for the HR21 upgrade.

yep:)

Just a quick thought, perhaps I'll get to see one of these at CES in January, perhpas they'll have a prototype unit to show off.
It would seem that you've already seen the hardware in the form of the current HR2x.
Last year they were showing Dirctv2PC, and the directv tuner for pc, both of which are in testing with no ETA.
Seems like the PC Tuner has been shown at a number of CES and at one point, IIRC, it was an internal expansion card.

Unless TiVo has been working on this for a while already, I wouldn't expect development to be very far along as they have only four months until CES. If they're expecting the whole project to take a year, it seems like showing much more than storyboards is going to be pushing it. Of course in the TiVo community, if you have the logo, the peanut remote and the sound effects, they're all in.

I currently have Comcrap and their crappy Motorola dvr, I am charged $13.95/mo, as far as I know we do not have the Tivo add on here yet, but I have read that areas that do are charging an additional $3/mo on top of the regular DVR fee. I suspect D* will charge at least that much or more to add Tivo. I suspect that with the E* Tivo litigation going so bad for E*, they will need to settle and do something similar, but I suspect E* will get less favorable terms then what D* got.

It would seem that you've already seen the hardware in the form of the current HR2x.

I don't know if that is the case or not.

They could be developing an entirely new unit or they may be just redesigning software for what we use today.

It is certainely possible we could see a totally different unit (hopefully with more processing power for a much faster GUI) :)

I don't know if that is the case or not.

They could be developing an entirely new unit or they may be just redesigning software for what we use today.

It is certainely possible we could see a totally different unit (hopefully with more processing power for a much faster GUI) :)

yes! that's what i've been saying. that's all i want exactly what you said. i'd be one happy camper :)

I just hope this process isn't going to turn into a quagmire like the Tivo/Comcast deal ended up being.

Bryan

I currently have Comcrap and their crappy Motorola dvr, I am charged $13.95/mo, as far as I know we do not have the Tivo add on here yet, but I have read that areas that do are charging an additional $3/mo on top of the regular DVR fee. I suspect D* will charge at least that much or more to add Tivo. I suspect that with the E* Tivo litigation going so bad for E*, they will need to settle and do something similar, but I suspect E* will get less favorable terms then what D* got.
I think you can use a series 3 HD tivo with cable card for any cable system and FIOS. You just have to purchase to Tivo.

I think you can use a series 3 HD tivo with cable card for any cable system and FIOS. You just have to purchase to Tivo.

I am aware of that, but my point is their will likely be an additional charge on the new D*Tivo, weather it is simply a software upgrade like Comcast and Cox, or a dedicated new STB.

I am aware of that, but my point is their will likely be an additional charge on the new D*Tivo, weather it is simply a software upgrade like Comcast and Cox, or a dedicated new STB.
I think it will be similar to the charge for the HR10-250. No reason for it not to be.

I am of the mind that it will certainly be more money, whether it is $1 or $3, that part remains to be seen. If nothing else, to cover D* payment to Tivo. As to why it will not be like the HR10 is because at that time D* did not have their own HD DVR.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)