DirecTv and VCR's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anitag0122

Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
N. E. Pa.
Just installed DirecTv on Tuesday after being told I would still be able to tape programs on my VCR's. Learned today that is not the case. I am an old retired lady who hates commercials and tapes everything to fast forward thru commercials. I was also under the impression you could record two programs on the DVR and watch a third--not so. I realize the DVR has many, many great features, but I hate the thought of just "trashing" my 4 VCR's. I told the technician if you can only record one program and watch a pre-recorded program at the same time or record two programs and not watch TV at that time, it doesn't seem much better than my old VCR;) where I could record one and watch TV. In any event, I'm still trying to figure out what everything does. I'm sure I'll like it eventually.

You can record two while watching something previously recorded, you can record two and watch a third live program. You can also connect your VCR to the composite video/audio (yellow/video, red&white/audio) connections from the DirecTV receiver to your VCR and record what you're currently tuned to on the DirecTV receiver.

Thanks for your replies. The problem seems to be that I want to set my VCR to record a program, for example, next Tuesday. I'm told I can record the program I am currently watching to my VCR, but not the next Tuesday program.
Two different technicians have told me I can't record two programs at the same AND watch live TV. I asked if any of their DVr's could do that and was told "no".

I'll go to the site you suggested and see about the hookup.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies. The problem seems to be that I want to set my VCR to record a program, for example, next Tuesday. I'm told I can record the program I am currently watching to my VCR, but not the next Tuesday program.
Two different technicians have told me I can't record two programs at the same AND watch live TV. I asked if any of their DVr's could do that and was told "no".

I'll go to the site you suggested and see about the hookup.

Thanks again.

Do you have a DVR or not? If you have a DVR why are you messing around with VCR's? Depending on the model of DVR you have you can do a few hundred hours of records and skipping commercials is much faster on the DVR.

DVR's also have a program guide that goes out about 12 days in the future and you can set up a recording for any program if it's in the guide. You can also set it up to record a certain show whenever it see it on or only new showings. Read the instruction manual to see how to do all this.

The one thing correct is you can't record two programs and watch a 3rd live program, only watch something you've recorded already.

First of all recording with a VCR is so outdated and a hassle when you want to record from a receiver whether it is a Directv, Dish Network or your local cable provider. You are making the process more difficult than it was intended. DVR's eliminated this hassle many many years ago. Pawn your VCR better yet recycle it if you can find a recycle facility and take advantage of the DVR. It costs $10 a month from most providers. Hell VCR tapes cost $10 for 2 blanks and offer less recording capacity then a DVR offers. Recording with a VCR is for those stuck in 90's. Technology has evolved and so should you. Your installer will appreciate you more when you dont ask to record from a VCR. It is too complicated for you to remotely understand how installers try to adapt to your understanding of recording with VCRs is not included in the free standard install. I am speaking out loud for all the installers that have had to deal with this nonsense.

DVR's have two tuners, meaning they can record two shows at once. You can either watch a third show that has previously been recorded, or watch a live third show, only if you have over the air antennae hooked up. Set up your DVR to record all your favorite shows. I'm sure after you get used to it, you'll like it much more than your VCR's.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)