DirecTV Announced Local Weather on Weather Channel HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
We have had this feature for weeks, but DirecTV has just issued a press release about this cool new feature. :)

DIRECTV HD Customers Now Have Access to Popular Interactive Weather Features and On-Demand Content from The Weather Channel HD
Interactive Weather Features Currently Available on DIRECTV Including 'Local On the 8s' and 'Local on Demand,' Have Generated Close To 1 Billion Household Impressions

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Oct 06, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- After its successful launch on the standard-definition version of The Weather Channel less than a year ago, DIRECTV's interactive weather applications, including "Local on Demand" and "Local on the 8's" have generated close to 1 billion total household impressions. Now, these same interactive features will be available on the crystal-clear feed of The Weather Channel HD(R) (TWC HD). As an additional benefit, customers can now access TWC VOD content 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week from the DIRECTV on DEMAND platform at the click of a button on their remote control.

The popular interactive weather services include:

Alert Ticker - For certain severe weather conditions, TWC HD viewers will see the Alert Ticker appear at the bottom of their screen. This ticker will give them information on the current weather alert(s) and provide a link to the "Local On Demand" application to get more information.
"Local on the 8s" Application - DIRECTV viewers of The Weather Channel HD can now view the popular "Local on the 8s" segments for their specific locale. Presented six times each hour at :08, :18, :28, :38, :48 and :58 minutes past the top of the hour on The Weather Channel HD, viewers can see current conditions, details for the day's forecast, the seven-day forecast and a regional radar map automatically for their local area. This content is presented with the iconic "Local on the 8s" jazz and popular music soundtrack.
"Local On Demand" Application - While watching TWC HD, DIRECTV viewers can access a menu of interactive weather features for their ZIP code, including current conditions, the five-day forecast, regional radar maps, weather alerts and weather for up to five other cities they can 'save' as favorites - all while continuing to watch live TWC HD programming on the same screen. Additionally, DIRECTV customers will be able to access localized weather information for more than 40,000 ZIP code locations across the United States.

"The vital information available on The Weather Channel provides the perfect platform to offer enhanced interactive capabilities and on-demand content to our customers," said Eric Shanks, executive vice president, DIRECTV Entertainment. "It is clear in the close to 1 billion household impressions generated in less than a year that our customers find these interactive services valuable, so it made sense to extend them to The Weather Channel HD. Providing these enhanced services to the Weather Channel HD furthers our ongoing commitment to creating the most dynamic television experience available."

"We have been thrilled with how important The Weather Channel content has become to DIRECTV HD subscribers," said Becky Powhatan, executive vice president of Distribution and Business Affairs for The Weather Channel. "Now, HD customers will have instant access to severe weather alerts and real time weather conditions in their area with 'Local On Demand' and our signature 'Local On the 8's.'"

DIRECTV on DEMAND is available at no additional charge to customers with a networked DIRECTV Plus(R) HD DVR or R22 DVR. The service offers more than 5,000 titles - including the hottest movies in 1080p - 24-hours-a-day, seven-days-a-week.

DIRECTV on DEMAND is one of the easiest-to-use on-demand interfaces on television, with unique features that make navigating through titles simple and quick.

About DIRECTV, Inc.

He's no longer a fanboy
haven't you heard hes selling his Directv stuff ?

No, I think you misundestood that.

He sent his DirecTV stuff back to DirecTV.

He sold 70 DirecTV systems at the Big-E this weekend for a friend who is a retailer.

:D

So is this going to be just like what Dish Network offers on their Weather Channel SD feed or is this going to actually be an improvement showing the local on the 8's just like the cable company does?

It is pretty good. The radar it shows is not that great. Mine shows about a 7 state area and is not animated. It also is rather small. I would much prefer my local NWS radar, and it be animated (full screen). I'm sure it's better than it was.
I don't watch TWC that much.

It is pretty good. The radar it shows is not that great. Mine shows about a 7 state area and is not animated. It also is rather small. I would much prefer my local NWS radar, and it be animated (full screen). I'm sure it's better than it was.
I don't watch TWC that much.

Don't forget that you could use the NOAA Radar TVApps if your receiver is a HR2X, H21/23 or R22 and is internet connected. It's not animated but you can configure the radar for your region as to what it shows.

Don't forget that you could use the NOAA Radar TVApps if your receiver is a HR2X, H21/23 or R22 and is internet connected. It's not animated but you can configure the radar for your region as to what it shows.

Thanks,

I did not know about the radar TVapp.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts